Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Toco
Belgium
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the differences between the original and the latest editions?

I only played it once some 15 years ago, a version with cards, I really liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is basically still the same game, with some minor rule tweaks. The biggest difference is probably the removal of "virtual robots". But yeah, you still "program" your robot with cards, try to reach the checkpoints, can get upgrade cards, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expanding on the above comment. From memory, the primary differences are:

- At the start of the game, original has all robots on same starting spot and 'virtual' (meaning they do not interact with each other (typically for the entire first turn) though they do interact with all board elements). Newer version has differentiated starting spots within a defined space.
- The original and its expansions provide for differing boards and some different board elements than more recent editions.
- The timer was a frequently used mechanism as a player variant in the original but was not a part of the official rules
- In the original, on a double wrench space, robots could repair two damage counters and not take a card.. or take a card. In the new, they repair one counter AND take a card.
- I don't remember whether the robot lost an option card when dying in the original
- Components were slightly different (metal robots in the old, slightly different art)

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
Southbank
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new version also slightly simplifies the board elements by doing away with crushers. It's the main reason that I am glad I have access to the old boards. Cannery Row is far and away my favourite board to play on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catman SGA
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the original version (With the "Armed and Dangerous" expansion) and own the current version. As for the crushers, were they in the original game, or were they only on the boards provided with the "Armed and Dangerous" expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
Southbank
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CatmanSGA wrote:
As for the crushers, were they in the original game, or were they only on the boards provided with the "Armed and Dangerous" expansion?

Crushers were on the Cannery Row board, with is part of the 1st edition core game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.