Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Callahan
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I have a lot of light gaming family and friends that love to play Telestrations! I was thinking of putting together a Christmas varient where I would list 3 different options to draw on index cards. To have enough different cards for 8 players and 4 different games, that equates to 98 different sayings or objects to draw!

Here are some that I have thought of in a few minutes and would like to be ready to go with this on Saturday.

Santa Clause
Snow Man
Elf
Egg Nog
Jack Frost
Stockings
Polar Express
Elf on the Shelf
Mommy kissing Santa Clause
Yule log

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem that I see with this is that by limiting it to 'Christmas', and having such iconic things available to draw, it will make the game too easy and you will lose the humor that the game provides by making horrible drawings and guesses.

For example, you have a card with Egg Nog, Elf on the Shelf, and Snow Man. I am guessing a lot of people will choose Snow Man, simply because it is most familiar for people out of the 3 and easiest to draw. Which means it will be easily drawn and guessed by the players afterwards, which definitely limits the laughs when you go through the booklet at the end. While the other two on the card are much better ideas (because they are less familiar or easily drawn), if you pair them up with something easy, they may lose out.

The trick will be to come up with a lot of things that will be more difficult to draw. Santa, Snow Man, Christmas Tree, etc. are too easy to figure out. What you may want to do is include the other holidays of this time (like Hanukkah and Kwanzaa) so that even guessing the less iconic pictures won't be made easier by knowing it is strictly a Christmas theme. Plus, the other holidays will give more options for items/phrases. You could even thrown in Thanksgiving or New Year's to get even more ideas. It's the poor guesses that make this game so lively.

Just some thoughts from a player who has played quite a bit of this game. What makes the game work so well are that the items are not from any theme at all, they could be from anywhere, so you're not limiting your thought process. A Christmas theme might immediately go to Egg Nog. But thrown in New Year's, and perhaps now its a glass of champagne, which is a little more common. But why are they cracking an egg on a glass of champagne? Perhaps some sort of egg wine? And with that, the pictures and guesses get funnier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Callahan
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
The problem that I see with this is that by limiting it to 'Christmas', and having such iconic things available to draw, it will make the game too easy and you will lose the humor that the game provides by making horrible drawings and guesses.

For example, you have a card with Egg Nog, Elf on the Shelf, and Snow Man. I am guessing a lot of people will choose Snow Man, simply because it is most familiar for people out of the 3 and easiest to draw. Which means it will be easily drawn and guessed by the players afterwards, which definitely limits the laughs when you go through the booklet at the end. While the other two on the card are much better ideas (because they are less familiar or easily drawn), if you pair them up with something easy, they may lose out.

The trick will be to come up with a lot of things that will be more difficult to draw. Santa, Snow Man, Christmas Tree, etc. are too easy to figure out. What you may want to do is include the other holidays of this time (like Hanukkah and Kwanzaa) so that even guessing the less iconic pictures won't be made easier by knowing it is strictly a Christmas theme. Plus, the other holidays will give more options for items/phrases. You could even thrown in Thanksgiving or New Year's to get even more ideas. It's the poor guesses that make this game so lively.

Just some thoughts from a player who has played quite a bit of this game. What makes the game work so well are that the items are not from any theme at all, they could be from anywhere, so you're not limiting your thought process. A Christmas theme might immediately go to Egg Nog. But thrown in New Year's, and perhaps now its a glass of champagne, which is a little more common. But why are they cracking an egg on a glass of champagne? Perhaps some sort of egg wine? And with that, the pictures and guesses get funnier.

Yeah, that does make sense. Many of the easier drawn objects go around the table with no problem. Thanks DoomTurtle for the input, I'll try to see how many tougher objects/sayings I can come up with mixing in New Years as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Callahan
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've adjusted my working list to this:

Eggnog
Jack Frost
Polar Express
Christmas Spirit
chestnuts
Dressed herring
Peppermint Bark
Pigs in a blanket
Deviled Eggs
Rum Cake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmcallahan wrote:
I've adjusted my working list to this:

Eggnog
Jack Frost
Polar Express
Christmas Spirit
chestnuts
Dressed herring
Peppermint Bark
Pigs in a blanket
Deviled Eggs
Rum Cake

85 more and you'll be good to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just start looking at all the classic Christmas shows and songs...

Lasso the moon (It's a Wonderful Life)
Bumbles Bounce (Rudolph)
The Holy and the Ivy
Here we come a Wassailing
The Who Roast Beast (How the Grinch Stole Christmas)
That old felt hat he wore (Frosty)
Red Rider BB Gun (A Christmas Story)
A Charlie Brown Christmas

Good Luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Callahan
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
danwojciechowski wrote:
Just start looking at all the classic Christmas shows and songs...

Lasso the moon (It's a Wonderful Life)
Bumbles Bounce (Rudolph)
The Holy and the Ivy
Here we come a Wassailing
The Who Roast Beast (How the Grinch Stole Christmas)
That old felt hat he wore (Frosty)
Red Rider BB Gun (A Christmas Story)
A Charlie Brown Christmas

Good Luck :D

Absolutly, my mind went there a little bit as looking up some idea's. My list is up too:

Christmas
Eggnog
Jack Frost
Polar Express
Christmas Spirit
chestnuts
Dressed herring
Peppermint Bark
Pigs in a blanket
Deviled Eggs
Rum Cake
Yule log
Virgin Mary
3 Wise Men
Drummer boy
Snowball Fight
Santa’s Helpers
Grandma got ran over by a Reindeer
Hot Chocolate
Nutcracker
Secret Santa
Jingle Bells

New Year’s Eve
Noisemakers
Father Time
Baby New Year
cocktails
confetti
dancing
Times Square

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.