flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yesterday I had a following scoreboard phase at a tournament:

Dwarfs - 15 points, First Player
Humans - 15 pts
Orcs - 3 points and the ball

Now who gets what?

Rules:
1)The manager whose team has the highest Star Power is the winner. In case of a tie, the team with the ball carrier is the winner.

2) In case of a tie at a tournament when the ball is at midfield, the first manager decides which tied team has higher Star Power.

It looks like the rules doesn't cover this situation (ball isn't at midfield).
Should I follow the the 1) and Orcs win the tournament (which is odd) - even when they're not tied for the first place?
Or should I assume that the 2) should read: "when the ball is at midfield or none of the tied managers have the ball" - hence the dwarfs will choose to win.

The following situation didn't came up, but isn't fully covered in the rules too:
Orcs 10
Dwarfs 5
Human 5

Orcs win the main prize. D and H get the follow up or do you have to find out who's better (first player or ball carier)

Rules:
The manager with the second-highest Star Power is the runner-up, who collects the payout next to the ribbon. All other managers who have at least one player at the tournament collect the “LOSE!” payout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always assumed that the intention (the spirit of the rules) is that whenever a tournament ends with a tie at any level (except Lose of course), the First Player breaks all ties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
If the ball isn't in a position to break a tie, the first player decides. The should be addressed on the FAQ when it comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal U
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
and the second question ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry, I saw it as one big question.

Orcs aren't tied with anyone so they are not in contention for first. Ball only breaks ties, doesn't advance you higher than you deserve.

So 1st place is between Dwarves and Humans and since Dwarves are first player, they will most likely pick them selves as winner. This puts humans in 2nd and the orcs remain in 3rd.

Second scenario:
Orcs are in first. Dwarves and Humans are tied. You need to break the tie. If neither has the ball, first player decides. That team will get the runner-up pay out and the one not picked gets the Lose! payout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goran M
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Second scenario:
Orcs are in first. Dwarves and Humans are tied. You need to break the tie. If neither has the ball, first player decides. That team will get the runner-up pay out and the one not picked gets the Lose! payout.

We had an exact situation last weekend. And the same outcome as well: Orcs first, ball at midfield, first player solves the tie between Dwarves and Humans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.