Amun-Re» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pyramid locations in Edfu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Foy
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
My group had an argument about edfu last night. It's hard to tell if there are two pyramid building locations or just one. It looks like it could be either, and one of my friends said that when comparing it to a location like amarna, edfu having two pyramid locations is a bit overpowered. However this assumes that the locations are designed to be balanced. Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a "pyramid building location"? Maybe I am misunderstanding but as far as I know that's not even a mechanism of the game. Within any province you can build as many pyramids as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Foy
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Uh, no. Page seven of the game clearly show in the diagram that you can only build pyramids on pyramid building locations. Otherwise avaris would be worthless.

Edit: it also states as much on page 3 of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are getting pyramids mixed up with temples. You can build pyramids (as many as you like) in all 15 provinces, but the temples are fixed. They don't get built though - you just score VPs equal to the number of temples you have x the sacrifice multiplier (1 to 4) in rounds 3 and 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The province of Edfu contains the following:

symbol and name of the province
free power card
one power card (to buy)
one temple
three farms

Other than that it only contains flat land. The flat land is where you place your building stones and convert every three building stones into a pyramid. There is no limit to how many pyramids you can build in the province, nor is there any special location within the province where you have to place them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
arthurbarnhouse wrote:
Uh, no. Page seven of the game clearly show in the diagram that you can only build pyramids on pyramid building locations. Otherwise avaris would be worthless.

It does not constrain your purchases. What you're looking at on the spaces is essentially decorative artwork. You're allowed to build as many stones/pyramids as you can afford in any region you control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arthurbarnhouse wrote:

Avaris is hotly contested because of the high income it gives. And page seven says nothing of "pyramid building locations." It merely points to the "flat land" and says "this is where you build pyramids." There's no limit to how many can go in a single province.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arthurbarnhouse wrote:

After looking at the rules, I can see why you think that.

I assure you that the pictures of pyramids in the provinces are only decorative artwork, but meaningless to the mechanics of the game.
You may build as many building stones & pyramids in any province as you can afford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Foy
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
The structure of the game makes less sense to me if there is no limit on pyramid construction in each providence, and I don't really understand why the manual would specifically point out "this is where you build pyrimids" if it was just decorative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The limit on pyramid construction is the cash you have to do it. You will find that is enough of a limit, and the game is really interesting by the rules as written.

The rules just point out that you build pyramids in the provinces, rather than off the board or some other place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arthurbarnhouse wrote:
The structure of the game makes less sense to me if there is no limit on pyramid construction in each providence, and I don't really understand why the manual would specifically point out "this is where you build pyrimids" if it was just decorative.

Please trust the 5+ people who have responded to you. You misunderstand; the respondents are correct. You may build as many pyramids as you can afford. You will not be able to afford many, usually.

Temples are something different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, all I can think of then is I suggest you play at a convention, as I have, or play online, as I also have, and see if anyone else is restricting their building the way you do.

Again, after looking at the diagrams in the rules, I do understand where your interpretation comes from and why you believe it is correct, but I have not encountered anyone else who concurs with you.
In the Phase 3 section, when buying Power Cards, it points out that there is a limit to the number of Power Cards a player may buy.
In the Phase 3 section, when buying Farmers, it points out that there is a limit based on empty farms.
In the Phase 3 section, when buying Building Stones, all it really says is they may be placed in any of your provinces.
Doesn't it seem like this would be a good place to mention that each province has a limit?

As to structure, I think the financial limit works, and apparently others do to, enough to include this game in the top 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
This too shall pass.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
And one more thing: the regions are not supposed to be balanced. The balance comes from the auctioning mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arthurbarnhouse wrote:

Actually, the game would make no sense at all if it was only possible to build pyramids in a limited number of provinces. That would mean players might find themselves unable to make complete sets of pyramids, and it would create less competition for the "most pyramids on one side of the river" bonus.

Many of us here have played hundreds of games of Amun-Re online, and I will be the GM of the tournament at this year's World Boardgaming Championships. Please trust us when we say that you are misinterpreting the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure which rules edition the OP is using, but my rule book says clearly (on pg. 7): "When a player buys building stones, he must immediately place them in his provinces...he can place these building stones in any of his provinces."

In addition, my page 3 rules detail graphic simply says that flat land is "(for pyramids)". That suggests nothing about how many pyramids one can build in any provinces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.