Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I've more or less polished off Age of Sail - just need to gather all the pieces together into a package - so I'm moving on to a (slightly quicker) second entry for the art half of this contest.

This time, it's a space station; I'm aiming to provide bits aimed at a civil-war/mutiny-type wargame scenario, but of course, if people want to make a resource-allocation space-station-management game, that's fine too... ;-)

For now, I've just started the board itself, since it's the most daunting bit. For the background I cheated and grabbed a picture from NASA's generous archives, while the space station itself is supposed to be one of those wheel-like arrangements where the spin and inertia provides a simulated gravity on the inside surface of the torus' rim... only with the rim 'unfolded' to show the insides, because they're much more interesting.

Here's the only bit I've really 'finished' for now; I'm hoping to complete the whole thing to a similar standard, and then add a few unit graphics - guys in and not in uniform, waving weapons or otherwise, a few vehicles - some resource-type tokens, and some scoring/book-keeping tracks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really interesting. Couple of comments, though.

First, Call me crazy, but I wouldn't have expected a massive river in the middle of a space station. I assume you're suggesting this is a huge orbital habitat for millions rather than the more traditional handful of folks concept? Even so, seems like the water would pretty heavily dominate any design decisions. I like it, but think a designer might want to be less tied to a river.

Second, will you have some graphics for other levels of the central spine? Could make for an interesting split between 'open range' action on the torus and traditional sci fi close action in the spine. Just a thought.

Can't wait to see what other components you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
solclaim wrote:

First, Call me crazy, but I wouldn't have expected a massive river in the middle of a space station. I assume you're suggesting this is a huge orbital habitat for millions rather than the more traditional handful of folks concept?

That's what I was thinking, yeah - more of a 'sea' than a 'river'. Still, you're probably right - I'll certainly consider reducing the size of it outside of the 'winter' and 'summer' areas of the rim. I'll see what it looks like as two seas joined by two rivers rather than one big sea all the way around.

solclaim wrote:

Second, will you have some graphics for other levels of the central spine? Could make for an interesting split between 'open range' action on the torus and traditional sci fi close action in the spine. Just a thought.

Hmm... it's something I may try if I have enough time - given that the deadline for this is in about two weeks (and in that time I'll also be spending Christmas with the family and preparing to go and visit the in-laws in Italy) I don't know whether I'll get much finished outside of the original concept, though. I'm hoping to get this one ready quicker than I did with Age of Sail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Interesting. Kind of a ringworld rather than a satellite. A true Ringworld is inconceivably huge. But if you built one around a gas giant, it would only be really huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
Interesting. Kind of a ringworld rather than a satellite. A true Ringworld is inconceivably huge. But if you built one around a gas giant, it would only be really huge.

Certainly more like that topologically, but I'm thinking of half-way between that and a Stanford torus - larger than the torus, but not so large as the classical ringworld, which would have a radius similar in size to the Earth's orbit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
A bit more progress - I'm more or less half-way done with the board now, I think. I've got halfway around the rim, and added some sci-fi-ish cities (inspired a little by the first edition Horus Heresy) - on a separate layer, so designers can use as many or as few of them as they want. As suggested earlier in the thread, I've shrunk the seas into large rivers, leaving only the two large bodies of water at opposite sides of the rim.

Here's a bit of a closer shot of one of the cities, in a finished area:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's looking good, Jake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks much better! Can't wait to see the final product!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I stayed up late to finish the board. I'm not going to provide so many extras for this one as I did for the Age of Sail entry. I'm aiming at a counter-wargame type of game, so I'll do up a bunch of unit counters and some simple resource-type tokens and call it a day, since the deadline looms. (Even if there is an extension, I'll be away visiting the in-laws for a while at the beginning of the year.)

Here's the finished station painting, now with a big glowing reactor core in the centre:

And here's the board, complete with a couple of tracks with labels:

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm taking the opportunity to be a bit more prescriptive in this entry - although I'll still leave all these bits on separate layers in the PSD 'cause I'm conscientious like that. ;-)

(EDIT: While I'm not making the same effort as with the AoS entry to provide a low-ink version, I'll definitely be leaving the big black starfield background as a separate layer, and I'll try and provide lineart versions of the tracks. The area division lines are on a separate layer to the station painting as well, so the painting could be faded out for low-ink purposes.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Forgot to mention it here for a bit - in case anyone is following this thread in particular: It's finished!

30MB, ~60 images, many layers in PSDs, click image to download zip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.