$10.00
Recommend
210 
 Thumb up
 Hide
74 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Don't buy this game if... [#8] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, hasn’t it been a while!

Yes, I took a very long break from writing reviews on the ‘Geek, mostly because I started a blog on board games (it’s in Polish, but if you wanna take a look, here it is), and that’s been keeping me busy for the last 18 months or so. Also, since about a month ago, I’ve been writing reviews for a Polish professional site on tabletop games (once again, it’s all in Polish, but you can check it out here).

However, finally a game came that made me want to write yet another Don’t buy this game if review. A game so unique, I just could not help myself. So, here it is – without further ado – the Mage Knight Board Game Don’t buy this game if... review.

Oh, just one more thing (forgive the cliché quotation): Hell, it’s about time!

Now, let’s get on with the bashing…

1. Don’t buy this game if you hate fantasy adventure games. It’s a fact – Mage Knight Board Game is what it is. Sure, it has clever mechanisms, sometimes it feels a little euro-ish, but it is, in its heart, a long game of incredible adventures in a land that never existed. Dragons, mages, warriors, elves… if they make your skin crawl I do not think you should even consider spending an evening with MKBG. No, do yourself a favour and keep walking.

2. Don’t buy this game if you hate deckbuilding. It’s there. Yup. You do shuffle cards, you do cycle through your deck, you do have to plan your turn around the cards you have drawn. No escaping that. Sure, there is a lot more to this game, but if Dominion, Thunderstone and Nightfall are more scary than the perspective of dogs and cats living together, you will never feel at home with this game. Thinking about what is good for your deck and what really is not is a part of being an effective Mage Knight player. The other aspects of the game, no matter how much you may try to concentrate on them, will never yield you a decent score if you choose to ignore the deckbuilding aspect.

3. Don’t buy this game if you loved the old Mage Knight. I couldn’t be more clear about it: this game is nothing like the old Mage Knight. Sure, it shares some elements of the world (or so I am led to believe – I was never an avid MK player) as well as some miniatures, but it plays nothing like the old game. It is not a tactical game of miniature combat – it is a full-blown adventure game, with no (at least in a spatial, grid-type sense) tactical elements whatsoever. I have no idea why the title of this game is what it is – perhaps to draw (and misguide!) some people, who have fond memories of the older game.

4. Don’t buy this game if you love Dominion and want a more "flavour-ish" clone of it. Yes, I do feel stupid even mentioning this and I almost cannot believe anyone might think that, but just to be on the safe side, I am mentioning this. While still having the deckbuilding mechanism as a core, Mage Knight is as different from Dominion as Chaos in the Old World is from El Grande. While these games have a lot in common, it seems that they are whole universes away from each other. Like I said, didn’t think anyone could have been fooled, but I just needed to write that.

5. Don’t buy this game if you are a Talisman fan and want a similar game or a gentle “step up”. If you already did that (the game is sitting, still shrink-wrapped on your shelf)… boy, are you in for a surprise. If you did not, I’d recommend Runebound, Prophecy or A Touch of Evil. All of them are fine games, considerably more complicated than Talisman, but not even half way between the well loved (and hated) fantasy classic and Mage Knight. No, MKBG is a toy for seasoned gamers, so if you are not one, either trade it away, or be patient, play more games and come back to it when you are more experienced. Like, level 15 or something…

6. Don’t buy this game if you hate downtime. Despite what some people write here, there is going to be a lot of it. Mage Knight Board Game is a complicated beast. There are a lot of important decisions to be made. The order in which you play the cards, the effects you use them for, the single point of difference coming from playing a card in the right time - all of this may mean the difference between a victory and a defeat. Consequently, it should not come as a surprise that people tend to take a lot of time really analyzing their steps, trying out different combinations and approaches. One of the rulebooks even mentions going back on movement already made as a valid way of trying out different ways of dealing with one’s turn. The downtime (which does in fact shorten a little with time, but not as much as some would like it to) comes from one more important fact. Allow me, however, to tell you more in the next point of my review.

7. Don’t buy this game if confusing, convoluted, long and unintuitive rulebooks make you want to kill yourself. Yes, that is a fact – the two rulebooks (and some reference cards) are not for the faint of heart. You will need some time to dig through the Walkthrough rulebook and you will need a lot of patience when you find yourself in a situation, when you need to find a small piece of relevant information quickly. I’m sorry, but… no way you can do that quickly.

Actually, you can make the process a bit faster if you have a computer nearby. Using the searchable manual (you can find both of the rulebooks here and here) makes it much easier. However, if you are planning to take the MKBG somewhere far away from civilization (like a small shack in the woods), I advise you to be patient and humble, when you suddenly forget some small detail you need to locate in one of the rulebooks.

8. Don’t buy this game if you got used to Vlaada Chvatil’s rulebooks from Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Pets and Through the Ages and you want the same thing. Unfortunately, although one of the rulebooks you find in the game box is called Walkthrough, you will have to read it before you try to play your first game. The title is misleading – you don’t get to read about the sequence of phases and follow them as you go along, because that is not the way you should start playing Mage Knight.

9. Don’t buy this game if you hate explaining complicated games to your gaming group. The fact is, that whoever owns the game will have a lot of work trying to stack the enormous amount of information required to play MKBG in the heads of other players. There is a lot to take in, so it is probably the best idea to play the game solo once, before you try to play it with your friends. This way, you will be fluent enough to give them a general view of the game flow. Also, making the lazy basterds read the rules for themselves might help (and prove essential for something resembling a smooth start).

10. Don’t buy this game if you like slim, elegant, easy to comprehend sets of rules. Why? Because this is not what you are getting here. Mage Knight is as complicated as they come. There is a variable turn structure, giving the players a cast amount of possibilities. In fact, it is really incredible what you can do in this game and sometimes almost unbelievable how much you have to keep track of. Mana symbols, henchmen, reputation, special abilities, your own keeps, extra cards, exceptions to rules, some more exceptions to rules and... did I mention the exceptions to rules? Right, this leads me to my next point…

11. Don’t buy this game if you hate Arkham Horror for the shear fact that you never seem to play this game right. Unfortunately, it seems like with Mage Knight it is exactly the same. There always (and I mean always) seem to be some little rules you forget during your game. Dungeons always using night rules? Forgot about that during my first game. Reputation bonus for mustering units? Disappeared from my memory for three turns during the second playthrough. Rampaging monsters attacking you if you move in their “zone of control”? Oops, forgot that one as well. Losing a point of reputation whenever you attack a stronghold, a city or a… You get the picture, right?

12. Don’t buy this game if you have bad eyes. Alternatively, don’t buy it if your gaming space is somewhat lacking in the good lighting department. A lot of the information is written in small font – but this is not really the problem. The real problem comes with the cities. Although using clix bases for them seemed like a cool idea, it created some problems for our games. More than once we made mistakes while drawing the monsters to defend them. I do not have a problem with reading colours, and yet more than once I would attack a city defended by dragons instead of dungeon creatures – and believe me, there is a world of difference between the two aforementioned classes of monsters.
Once again, this problem is easily fixed – you can use these handy reference cards for the cities. Don’t forget to show some love to the person responsible for making them!

13. Don’t buy this game if you don’t have a lot of time and a suitable location with a big table. At this point I think it is rather obvious, that Mage Knight takes a lot of time. It also requires a lot of space. Although it may seem like a small table will fit all the decks, the characters and the map, one hour later you end up frantically repositioning all the game pieces, so you can squeeze in both a new terrain tile and a new unit your character has just mustered. Also, Mage Knight really shines if you are able to immerse yourself in the adventure, so playing it in a cafe with a standard pop-hitlist playing in the background seems to take away a lot from the experience as a whole.

14. Don’t buy this game if you are a little OCD when it comes to using original box inserts. I know it seems like everything sits snugly in a wonderful insert but in fact… it does not. Some of the markers will travel all around the box if you tip it sideways, so you will probably need an alternative solution. Also, if you want to sleeve the cards (and I think you will want to do that), you will have to be a little creative with putting them back in the box. Don’t get me wrong – everything will fit back, but not exactly the way it was originally packaged.

15. Don’t buy this game if you don’t like Vlaada Chvatil’s games. This may seem like a strange point, but I believe there is some merit in mentioning it. Mage Knight Board Game is a fascinating piece of work and if you are a fan of the adventure genre, chances are you will feel ecstatic about it. However, it is a Vlaada Chvatil game. You can feel it while you play. It is hard to pinpoint, but I am sure that if you know Mr. Chvatil’s work, you will be able to tell that this game was made by him. Don’t get me wrong, I’d be the first to buy tickets for a tour into the game-creating area of his mind (as well as the minds of Chad Jensen and Martin Wallace… erm… TMI, wasn’t it?), but I know not everyone shares my sentiment. So, if you’re thinking that, despite not being too happy about purchasing Dungeon Lords or Through The Ages, you might hit it off with Mage Knight, you really should first try to play the game before you make the purchase.

Well, I think that about covers it. I know that some people might not find some of the above drawbacks to be drawbacks at all, and that’s fine. I also know that some people might find other points against purchasing Mage Knight and that’s even better (as long as they post theme here, making my review even more useful). The bottom line is (and always was with my Don’t buy this game… reviews) that if you are not scared away by the above list, you will most probably be pleased (or perhaps even more than just pleased) with the new Mage Knight. It is an incredibly fresh, if somewhat gamey, approach to adventure games and – at least to me – almost an instant Grail Game just because of creating a working, interesting combination of immersive narrative and intelligent gameplay (much unlike most adventure games I have played up to date).


To sum up, if you are not scared away by what you’ve just read - hesitate no longer. Buy Mage Knight from the guy (or gal) who was scared away a little too late and make this day a good one for both of you. Or, alternatively, buy it new and make this game a good one for yourself and the owner of you FLGS. Either way – have fun playing!

If you liked this review, check out my other Don’t buy this game if… reviews.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great review... up until today it was one of the top priorities on my wishlist... but after reading your review i have to reconsider this... there are just too many aspects in the game that i hate... thanks again for saving me some money.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I like Vlaada's games, but after reading about it, I knew that this game would be OVER the top (complexity wise) for 90% of the people I play with (heck, probably including myself). And I know what you mean about explaining complex games to other people. In some cases, it's more challenging than playing the game itself (at least for me).
So I am definitely passing on this one. But I will gladly play it with you, if you teach me the rules laugh
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PICUS Jérémy
France
Le Palais sur Vienne
Sélectionnez SVP
flag msg tools
mb
After two play sessions (a solo one, and another with one of my friend), I would say :
- yes, this game is complex

- yes, there is plenty of rules and sub rules / "hidden" rules...

- yes, the rulebook is perfectible

But
- a rule seems too complex or inappropriate : just forget it ! I mean : "night rules apply when you enter a dungeon" ? It makes senses, but does not have huge consequences if you miss that point

- this game worth the pain !
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This pretty much confirmed what I had already suspected after all the reading I've done on MKBG. It sounds like it has all the elements I'd enjoy in a game myself, but I could never make it fly with my gaming group - and I don't enjoy having to keep track of everything for everyone and explaining the same rules over and over again because the game is too complicated to grasp within a reasonable time and with reasonable effort.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChokSien Hiew
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea for a game review format. Well done!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, i am not going to buy it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! I may have to buy it (again).
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the perfect game for me and Vlaada-loving oldest son.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a good review. It only made it clearer that I was correct in getting this game. All the points that you take up are points where the "if" clause is false for me.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan williams
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is fair to say that this is an attempt to "fix" Magic Realm. In the end, it is more about the story created than the competitive result.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with much of the above - good way to do a review. I think the biggest part that wears on me is the down time. I'm not really used to that anymore in games and Mage Knight seems to have quite a bit of it. I half suspect now that the game should be played with only 2 or 3 players, not the full set of 4. Of course, it would play fast if you have experience *and* are not prone to over think your turns - but given the complexity and length of play, you can only gain experience with a set of players if you have a regular game group who enjoys this game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like something that I would very much enjoy, but unfortunatley would become just another epic game that sits on my shelf and gets no play time.

I really need to reel myself in, my main gaming partner is my son and he's only 9, so the super complicated stuff needs to be put off for a while still.

Thanks for the review, and for giving me the reasons to save a little $$.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
good way to do a review.


I disagree. I appreciate the time and effort, but I don't really like the format. I think when you frame everything from a negative perspective and use the absolutes of "don't/if" it creates a strange kind of review experience. I realize you quantify some of the bolded statements in the text following those statements, and there is a good overall description of the game within all of that, but taken as an absolute, a number of those statements could be dealbreakers for a lot of people, and yet, as is the case for many games, individual things that might seem (or actually be) negative may not matter at all in the context of enjoying the game as a whole. I don't think there's a game that I really love that doesn't have some major negative aspect to it that I'm well aware of, but don't really care about in the context of the full experience of the game.

One example is #2. The consensus of many is that while there is a deck-building aspect to this game, it's not a huge aspect of the game, and I've heard the exact opposite statement more than once (i.e., "if you don't like deck-building games, don't let that stop you from trying Mage Knight"). Another example is #6, about the downtime. Sure, everybody hates too much downtime, but that doesn't preclude you from appreciating some games that happen to have a lot of downtime. So you deal with it for those games. And this game is supposed to be very good to play solo, in which case downtime isn't an issue at all.

Also, #3 doesn't make sense... Just because you loved the old Mage Knight game, that doesn't preclude you from also loving this one. It might, but there's no reason it must. That would be like saying "Don't buy Risk: Legacy if you love original Risk." Some people got a lotta love and can embrace more than one type of thing with the same name/license. I get what you're saying there in terms of warning people that the same name doesn't mean the same game, but using the absolute of "don't/if" is what makes that not work well for me.

And most of the rest of the statements have a similar problem where taken individually, sure, something could be a negative, even a big one, but it may not necessarily matter as a whole. Anyway, I'd suggest that if you're going to frame everything negatively, to not use those absolutes, so more like "You might not want to buy Mage Knight if..."
19 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The 60s were not the same without
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
I did something similar near the end of my Shogun review. Impressive array of reasons for non-buyage here; everyone is bound to find one that fits them. YES EVERYONE
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
I'd suggest that if you're going to frame everything negatively, to not use those absolutes, so more like "You might not want to buy Mage Knight if..."


I think most people understand that it's the reviewers opinion and therefore fairly subjective.

Quote:
Also, #3 doesn't make sense... Just because you loved the old Mage Knight game, that doesn't preclude you from also loving this one.


The way I read #3 was don't buy this Mage Knight because you loved the original which seems like a valid warning to me.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
Grudunza wrote:
I'd suggest that if you're going to frame everything negatively, to not use those absolutes, so more like "You might not want to buy Mage Knight if..."


I think most people understand that it's the reviewers opinion and therefore fairly subjective.


Yeah, of course. But still, taken at its word, using those absolutes, especially when the whole thing is framed from the negative perspective, can create a false impression.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, #3 doesn't make sense... Just because you loved the old Mage Knight game, that doesn't preclude you from also loving this one.


The way I read #3 was don't buy this Mage Knight because you loved the original which seems like a valid warning to me.


Well, no. Because the one thing shouldn't necessarily preclude the other. Yes, you might have loved the original, and you might get caught off guard if you buy this thinking it's a reprint of that. But that's a completely different thing than saying "don't buy this if you liked that." You might also like this if you give it a try.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Games > Free Time
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
You are the 999th person to view this hidden message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fears Confirmed

Removed From Want List
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the review format. And please, don't water down what you say by "it's my opinion that.." "You might think..." it's a really bad way to write. State what you think! Be proud of it!
39 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
I did something similar near the end of my Shogun review. Impressive array of reasons for non-buyage here; everyone is bound to find one that fits them. YES EVERYONE


Nope, not me:
1. Don’t buy this game if you hate fantasy adventure games.
I love fantasy adventure games. I'm a nut for them.

2. Don’t buy this game if you hate deckbuilding.
I like deckbuilding mechanisms in games, especially games that don't have it as a sole machanism (like Dominion).

3. Don’t buy this game if you loved the old Mage Knight.
I never played Mage Knight. It's described here as a "tactical game of miniature combat" – might be interesting, but not that much.

4. Don’t buy this game if you love Dominion and want a more "flavour-ish" clone of it.
I don't love Dominion. I think deck-building is a clever mechanism but I mostly want something else that relies on it.

5. Don’t buy this game if you are a Talisman fan and want a similar game or a gentle “step up”.
I am a Talisman fan and I want a major, massive, huge leap up.

6. Don’t buy this game if you hate downtime.
Might be an issue, but not that much. People I game like this with are usually fast and thinks during other people's turns. Also, I have World of Warcraft the Board Game.

7. Don’t buy this game if confusing, convoluted, long and unintuitive rulebooks make you want to kill yourself.
Not that I like such rulebooks, but I can take that if the game's as good as it sounds.

8. Don’t buy this game if you got used to Vlaada Chvatil’s rulebooks from Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Pets and Through the Ages and you want the same thing.
Haven't played any of those, and as said, bad rulebooks I can take.

9. Don’t buy this game if you hate explaining complicated games to your gaming group.
The guys I will be playing this with can handle my explaining a complicated game to them.

10. Don’t buy this game if you like slim, elegant, easy to comprehend sets of rules.
More about the rulebook, I've already addressed that.

11. Don’t buy this game if you hate Arkham Horror for the shear fact that you never seem to play this game right.
That's not the reason I haven't bought Arkham Horror yet. The reason I haven't bought Arkham Horror yet is the number of expansions to it (yes, that's true, but it's another discussion).

12. Don’t buy this game if you have bad eyes.
I don't.

13. Don’t buy this game if you don’t have a lot of time and a suitable location with a big table.
I have time to play and my game table is huge.

14. Don’t buy this game if you are a little OCD when it comes to using original box inserts.
I can't count the number of original inserts that have become fuel for my house's warming system.

15. Don’t buy this game if you don’t like Vlaada Chvatil’s games.
I love what I have seen from him (Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert).

So none of the "if" clauses apply for me. Instead, what they do is that they implicitly confirm that this is the game for me: an adventure game with Vlaada taste, long, heavy and complicated rules. Just what I expected and wanted.

Edit: Formatting.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The 60s were not the same without
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:
I did something similar near the end of my Shogun review. Impressive array of reasons for non-buyage here; everyone is bound to find one that fits them. YES EVERYONE


Nope, not me:


Maybe you missed "Don't buy this if you're a Japanese-speaking, Dungeonquest-loving Shintoist." It was pretty well hidden in there.

Zimeon wrote:
10. Don’t buy this game if you like slim, elegant, easy to comprehend sets of rules.
More about the rulebook, I've already addressed that.


That may have been more about the rules themselves. You like elegant rule sets, right? Everyone does. YES EVERYONE
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the way the review was made. I also agree that it is implied when reading a review that this is ONE person's observations and thoughts, so as using absolutes in this context, become relatives.
I haven't played any of the quoted games, or did not know who Vlaada is till some days ago, but i got the game, cause i DO love the original mage knight and fantasy themes in general. I absolutely loved this game, played it a couple of times in which i of course forgot to use a lot of little rules, but still enjoyed the hell out of it.
Thanks for the review!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Maybe you missed "Don't buy this if you're a Japanese-speaking, Dungeonquest-loving Shintoist." It was pretty well hidden in there.

Darn!

Kaffedrake wrote:
That may have been more about the rules themselves. You like elegant rule sets, right? Everyone does. YES EVERYONE

Well, true. It was badly formulated, but I decided to focus on the semantics and read it as "Don't buy this game unless you feel that elegant rules is an absolute must for a game".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Siles
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DON'T BUY THIS GAME IF YOU LIKE MAGE KNIGHT
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:
I did something similar near the end of my Shogun review. Impressive array of reasons for non-buyage here; everyone is bound to find one that fits them. YES EVERYONE


Nope, not me:

...Wall of text...


As he says ,
there is not a single point that would stop me from buying.



I think the review is great and especially helpful for people who are on the fence. But there are some points where I would like to comment:

2. Deckbuilding.

Even if you hate deckbuilding you could like that game, imo the deckbuilding is a rather small aspect of the game. I have the impression that many people only hate deck-building-only games. On the other hand, if you love deck-building games there is no guarantee that you will like Mage Knight. Imo you should move that point to a later step in the review.

6. Downtime
There is a lot of downtime, but if you plan on other players turns which is often possible you wont notice most of it. However, especially in your first couple of games you want to check what your opponent does which will result in downtime hell

9. Teaching the game
Agreed, but the walkthrough really helps.

12. Bad eyes.
The cities sucks, but there are reference cards in the images section which remove that problem. And most other fonts are reasonable, imo.


14. Box inserts
There are worse offenders for that point.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.