Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
OtubrabNad
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game the first time with seven players tonight, and frankly was a little disappointed.

This was the first time any of us have played any Dixit game, but it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. The game ended at the eighth round, which meant we only had one repeat storyteller. Too bad, I thought, that seemed like the most creative role. We also went through the entire deck before the game ended. Since we each had two voting pegs, that gave us a 2/7 chance of guessing the correct card. Hence every storyteller always got points (except one round when everyone guessed correctly) even when he or she gave crappy clues.

I'm thinking playing with less people would fix all these problem, am I right? What's the best number of players with which to play this game? Are higher numbers than seven worse? I hope not. I specifically bought Odyssey because it was a creative game that can accommodate up to 12 players. It could be that I simply have to play it more or with a different bunch of people. I hope so, because I really want to like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pete
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your poor initial experience is due to a combination of the rules you used (2 votes per player) and inexperience. I'm just taking a guess.

1. Rules: Since you only had 7 players, this is at the lower end of the spectrum for using 2 votes. I think the 2-vote rule will be more effective with more players.

My suggestion would be to try playing with 6 players or fewer first. You may also want to try out some of the variants (Dixit Party or Team Dixit) or some unofficial variants posted here on BGG.

2. Inexperience: If people guess correctly every round, then the game is likely to end sooner. If only one or two people are able to guess correctly each turn, the game should last longer. I think after more plays, players will become better at forming stories that are not so obvious.

You can choose to continue playing past the maximum score, or changing the maximum score to suit your group, to gain more experience first.

In terms of going through all the cards, if you only have Dixit Odyssey then you will likely have to reshuffle the cards during the game. If you have all three sets you won't have to reshuffle as often, but I think it'll still be necessary with large groups.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience playing with varying numbers of players to say what I feel is the best number of players. Since this is a creative game, your play experience will depend greatly on your group's dynamics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bennu R
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
The fun of the game depends on the creativity of the people in the group ... when giving the hint don't just try to win the round, but try to be funny and innovative !! If you get bored change the rules (for example at some point we decided to mime the card instead of giving word hints, or to use only words that begin with a specific letter).

We played it in 3 people but also in 10 and we always managed to get the most of it. Also, even when we played in 10 people we only used 1 vote! I think it works better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OtubrabNad
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my one game I definitely think one vote per player would be better than two. I'll try it that way next time.

Inexperience/lack of creativity was also a factor. Most of the clues given were pretty boring-- "weird hair," "toothy." But during my favorite round the storyteller gave an obscure clue that seemed to reference the tea party from Alice in Wonderland. So I picked a card with a person who resembled the Mad Hatter and wound up being right!

What gets me, is that Dixit seems very similar to Beyond Balderdash. Balderdash was an instant hit with my group and we still love playing it. But for some reason Dixit didn't go over as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bee

Washington
msg tools
I play with 7-10 people ONLY, because when i break the game out at our game shop, usually everyone wants to play, and thanks to Dixit Odyssey, voting and scoring with more than 6 players is very easy. I've changed our rules to make larger games last longer. While no one really cares about the score at the end of the day, having one guy run away with it isn't fun at all.

I would suggest you try this:

How my play group plays is:

Storyteller gets scored like normal: 3 for doing it right, 2 to everyone else for failing.

a Max of 3 points for people picking your card.

here's the change:

NO POINTS for guessing the Storytellers card.

This way a couple very important things happen:

-People are much more interested in tricking the other players into picking the wrong card for the story, because that's the only way you can score big now. This makes people REALLY dissect a players' story and makes everyone listen closely and choose cards that could actually WORK, instead of dumping a card they can't use anyway. (ex: story: "flowers" and you toss in a card with robots on it. PS: if you did that with our group you wouldn't be asked to play again!)

-The scoreboard is now very slow moving, giving people a chance to always catch up if they have a great couple rounds.

-people who are just good at guessing aren't rewarded so much just for voting. (This is a game about storytelling, after all!)

-With these rules, the people who win are ALWAYS the best storytellers' of the night, not the best guessers.

Try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OtubrabNad
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noodleworks wrote:

here's the change:

NO POINTS for guessing the Storytellers card.

This doesn't make any sense to me. If I don't get any points for voting for the storyteller's card, then why would I ever try to do that? If I'm the storyteller, then what motivation do I have for telling a story that matches up with my card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bee

Washington
msg tools
Your motivation for telling a story that matches up is so that you get your 3 points. The very best thing you want to have happen would have everyone but one person vote for your card. you get 3 points someone else gets 1.

If you tell a horrible story, you will get 0 points, everyone else will get 2, and everyone who got votes will get extra points, maxing up to 3. If you're a horrible story teller, your basically giving away up to 5 points to some other player.

Your motivation for voting FOR the storyteller is to give only the story teller points. If everyone ultimately votes correctly, the story teller gets zero and everyone else gets 2 points, most of the time that wont happen- so as a voter, you want to prevent voters from getting points when they arent the storyteller. when you're the storyteller, the odds are you get points, so resolve to the fact that a storyteller will get their 3. As a voter, try vote and unravel stories to minimize other players from scoring.

I understand its not the rules in the box, but the box rules force the game to move MUCH to fast- as people have mentioned here.

With these rules, we've played with ALL dixit cards (1-2-3 and promos) and with 11 people, everyone told at least 4 stories. (we shuffle up and deal out used cards.

you don't need to like this variant, I've just found that it makes it a little more interesting and longer when you've got 7+ people. with so many people, you could end up with over 30 points before you even get to tell a story.

What's the motivation in putting in a card that matches if you're just going to win anyway by picking the right story each round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vagelis
Greece
Πειραιάς
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
at my opinion the game depends from the fantasy of the group.the only think to make the game better is to change the vote rules.i don't know how maybe I'll not give two points if none found the card.I'll try this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.