1 Posts

Green Ghost» Forums » General

Subject: All about a re-print BUT... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Urban
United States
flag msg tools
I recently acquired the MARX Green Ghost reprint. I was so excited to finally get a copy of the game, not that it is an amazing game to play, but it is one I remembered from my youth and I wanted to share it with my family. Apparently MARX purchased the original molds and did their best to recreate the game.

Pulling in out of the box it appeared everything I remembered was faithfully recreated, but it wasn't till I starting putting it together that the memories came back and I realized just how poorly this reprint actually was!

The game play has remained the same so I won't review that, but I would like to talk about the pieces.

The original board was hard plastic and glowed in the dark! It was very efficient and created an eerie mood with the green illumination. This new variation has a vinyl cover that is laid on top of the board. It serves the purpose, but it doesn't lay flat and the glow effect is less than passable.

SNAKES... AHHHH SNAKES! In the old game, rubber bands served as snakes (or worms as we used to call them). In this game apparently cutting up rubber bands was too laborious so they created hard plastic pieces very reminiscent of the bones which are already in play.

The cardboard boxes have been replaced with flower planting boxes. Yes actual planting boxes.

The glow numbers (which always broke on the spinner) were replaced with stickers.

The biggest gripe however is the spinner itself! The GREEN GHOST! It looks as though it was glued together by a first grader! There are HUGE GAPS where the flashing wasn't cut off before it was glued and the took the tin sound producer out and replaced it with a hard piece of plastic that is attached to the bottom of the ghost! You can look into a hole in the bottom of the GREEN GHOST to see where the tin sound maker was screwed in, but alas this was apparently too much work for MARX. They opted for a flimsy piece of hard plastic which will break soon enough.

I am so happy to have this game on my shelf, but I am very disappointed with the treatment MARX gave this classic.

I hope they don't get the rights to any of my other favorites.
Which Witch or even worse... my Kenner SSP cars!!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.