Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I need to know how many checkers can be on a point. Is there a limit? I've tried some expert instructions in various places online, but I can't find this mentioned anywhere. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The limit is the number of checkers you have in play at any one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
No limit. In theory all 15 men could be all on the same point.-- In practice, it's just not a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Just wanted to add that if you have more than 6 checkers on a single point, it is customary to start a second row of checkers stacked on top of the first, to ensure there is enough room for them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. That answers my question perfectly! No limit, but courtesy suggests not going more than six before you start stacking. Gotcha!

I hope you'll check out my session report when/if it makes it up! The kid just tore me up!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a known (and illegal) strategy whereby you extend your stack to "rescue" stranded pieces on the point opposite. Most, reasonably alert, opponents will notice when you start bearing off from your 24-point rather than your 1-point, and honorable players will respect the gap between opposite points to avoid the possibility of confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
+++++[>+++++++++++++.>++++++++++[>++++++++++++++++++.--------.---.+++++++++++++++++.---.-.
mb
rmsgrey wrote:
There is a known (and illegal) strategy stratagem...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

I would distinguish the stratagem of bearing off the pieces from the farther point from the strategy of accumulating pieces upon the nearer point to enable the stratagem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

I would distinguish the stratagem of bearing off the pieces from the farther point from the strategy of accumulating pieces upon the nearer point to enable the stratagem.

I've never heard of this ploy but then I've always played so that once the pips reach the end of the triangle, any more are stacked on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
There is a known (and illegal) strategy whereby you extend your stack to "rescue" stranded pieces on the point opposite. Most, reasonably alert, opponents will notice when you start bearing off from your 24-point rather than your 1-point, and honorable players will respect the gap between opposite points to avoid the possibility of confusion.

That must have really sucked when you realized your opponent was doing that to you...

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

That must have really sucked when you realized your opponent was doing that to you...

shake

Like I said, an alert player will spot it happening - it's only effective when playing against someone who really, really isn't paying attention, or when returning to a game after a significant interruption...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoooosh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny to read these comments because:

A) I asked this question when learning the game last year, and

B) I bet I've played 400 games of Backgammon since then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
My son and I need to know how many checkers can be on a point. Is there a limit? I've tried some expert instructions in various places online, but I can't find this mentioned anywhere. Thanks!

In the official tournament rules there is no limit, but many regional variants restrict it to at most five checkers per point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did not know that about regional variants. Welcome to BGG.

Punainen Nörtti wrote:
foxfan wrote:

In the official tournament rules there is no limit, but many regional variants restrict it to at most five checkers per point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.