Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Building settlements between pre-built roads? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Osborne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello,

I think the answer to this is 'yes' but I wanted to check and my girlfriend and I can't agree. Say you have already built a road segment 5 roads long, can you then go back and build a settlement between the roads you have built providing the distance rule is obeyed?

ie.

S-----

then build

S---S--

Many thanks,

Wilfrey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, of course. What would be the issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilfrey wrote:
Hello,

I think the answer to this is 'yes' but I wanted to check and my girlfriend and I can't agree. Say you have already built a road segment 5 roads long, can you then go back and build a settlement between the roads you have built providing the distance rule is obeyed?

ie.

S-----

then build

S---S--

Many thanks,

Wilfrey

Perfectly valid play.

Even more, you can play a settlement between two of another player's roads (as long as you respect the distance rule and you also have a road leading to that intersection).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Jex
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - Yes you are correct - we have always played it that way and the computer versions of the game I have played always let you go back to play a settlement on a pre-built road of your own as long as it is at least 2 road segments away from any other settlement or city.

Al
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Osborne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you all for clearing this up. I did not think this would be an issue but had to get clarification to avoid a relationship breakdown lol.

Hi I am the girlfriend and thank you for the answers although i will still stick to my guns and say I am right lmao.

Typical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Blackhurst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Definite "yes." It is an inexpensive way to gain control of an intersection you and your opponent may be competing to build on if you have enough resources for roads but not enough for a settlement. In fact, you can even build a settlement on an opponent's road if one of your road segments intersects with it. It is a fun way to break up an opponent's longest road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Yes, of course. What would be the issue?

Poor guy needs a new girlfriendwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Osborne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes I will trade one girlfriend (nearly new) for three wood or two bricks. Asked the banker first but he didn't want any part of this one. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[insert mandatory, obligatory "Got Wood for..." joke]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the newest edition of Settlers come with a FAQ printed at the end of the rules book? Some of the most asked questions and answers were printed on mine but I got mine way back when (I think mine is the 2nd printing/edition whatever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.