Popular Tags: [View All]
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in monster.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting ready to bust this out on New Year's Day and had a couple of pre-emptive clarifications that I wanted to make sure I got right:

Heketch's Dark force: Was the intent to have at least 2 spaces from your nearest opponent or exactly 2 spaces?

Multiplayer movement: From what I can tell, it's legal to zigzag movement between tracks, correct?

Also, more of a curiosity that an actual rules question. Which three characters were the results of the Kickstarter game designer pack, and will we ever get to see the 5 characters from the custom character pack?

I'm reeeeally look forward to playing this game this weekend and hope that my gaming group enjoys it too. It looks like it has a ton of potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey David,

For Heketch, 2 or more empty spaces between you and the nearest opponent recovers your token (opponents on other rows in multiplayer don't count as being on the board to you, so if you're alone on a row, even if someone is beside you on the other row, you get your token back).

Multiplayer, zigzagging is legal, but remember that the definition for advance and retreat does not change between moves, so if you start out going left or right, you have to continue in that direction even after the switch.

Zaamassal Kett, Tatsumi Nuoc & Juto, and Sagas Seities are the three kickstarter designer characters. For the custom character packs, I think they'll be downloadable promos in the future, but I don't know at this point--that's just what the talk is. ^_~

I hope everyone likes the game! Let me know how the reception is ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bogart
United States
West Chester Township
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To piggyback on this thread instead of cluttering up with more "short questions", I've got some questions of my own!

1) Kallistar's Overdrive Finish seems really weak. Is that on purpose? Compared to, say, Khadath's, which does 25 power and the only drawback is the opponent being on the trap, hers is priority 7, power 10 and she *dies* at the end of the beat. I mean, it's meant to be a finisher, sure, but I'd expect a little more from one of the heaviest-hitting characters in the game. Thoughts?

2) So I don't have to print them out again: Are there any differences between the characters or tokens of the Preview Print-n-Play and the Preorder Print-n-Play?

3) What are the purposes of the colors on the Styles? I've noticed some similarities between moves, but I wanna hear it from the source.

4) If someone moves behind/to the other side of their opponent without using a Dash, does the opponent's move not take place? Or is it only canceled from using a Dash?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Priority 7 with 10 power is no joke--it can beat almost anything but a dash, meaning it trumps just about any move your opponent can make. The main thing that this finisher does is it makes you extremely dangerous to your opponent--now someone with 10 or less life can't afford to stand at range 1 or 2 to you without using a dash, because they risk instant death. As they say, "even the threat of power has power."

2) Hikaru's Geomantic style has a Start of Beat trigger instead of a Reveal trigger in the complete game. Other than that, I don't know of any differences. there shouldn't be any--if they are, then they are oversights.

3) The purpose of the colors are so that when you fan the cards out in your hand, you immediately know what is what. Sorry there's no more exciting answer than that

4) Only the effect of dash actually prevents attacks from hitting. The opponent's move always takes place, even when you dash. The dash just makes it so that when the opponent asks "Do I hit?" the answer is always "no", but they still get to do all their effects except hit and damage effects.

Glad to hear you're liking the game so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bogart
United States
West Chester Township
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
Glad to hear you're liking the game so far!

Me too! Goodness, I wish I and my friends could hang out all the time, instead of once every week or so.

Kyokai wrote:
1) Priority 7 with 10 power is no joke--it can beat almost anything but a dash, meaning it trumps just about any move your opponent can make. The main thing that this finisher does is it makes you extremely dangerous to your opponent--now someone with 10 or less life can't afford to stand at range 1 or 2 to you without using a dash, because they risk instant death. As they say, "even the threat of power has power."

That's true, yeah. I guess my view was soured by the one time I tried and the Cadenza dashed past me. (I should have waited until dash was recovering!) If you don't mind me asking, why did you give Khadath's Overdrive power 25? It seems a little overkill when one can't gain life past 20.

Kyokai wrote:
2) Hikaru's Geomantic style has a Start of Beat trigger instead of a Reveal trigger in the complete game. Other than that, I don't know of any differences. there shouldn't be any--if they are, then they are oversights.

I didn't see any, but I'll double check in the morning. Good to know, either way.

Kyokai wrote:
3) The purpose of the colors are so that when you fan the cards out in your hand, you immediately know what is what. Sorry there's no more exciting answer than that

I more meant, is there a theme to which styles were colored which? Is an orange a long range? etc.

Kyokai wrote:
4) Only the effect of dash actually prevents attacks from hitting. The opponent's move always takes place, even when you dash. The dash just makes it so that when the opponent asks "Do I hit?" the answer is always "no", but they still get to do all their effects except hit and damage effects.

Oh, okay. I may have been playing wrong. *blush* Good to know, good to know!

Also! As I'm full of questions: Is there any way to play online? Even with just the sample characters? I'd love to put a lot more time into the game than I have opportunity right now.

Thanks for the responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Boss player starts with 30 life in 2 vs 1 Boss Mode, so 25 damage actually makes sense in some situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gearhart
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I recently put together the print and play, and after playing some games, I have questions too.

1). Vanaah's Reaping style says that it discards a token when it hits. For characters that have tokens that aren't explicitly called "tokens" (like Magdelina and Kallistar), does she just recover her divine rush token?

2). Zaamassal's paradigm of distortion says that attacks automatically hit at ranges four, five, and six. Does that mean that all of his attacks are lengthened to hit those ranges, or does it just cancel the effect on a dash and things like that?

3). How does the ante phase work exactly? Who antes first? Can you ante more after they've passed? Does Luc Von Gott's stun happen the instant that he antes five tokens? I'm very curious about the nature of timing during this phase.

Thanks for your time. We're all really enjoying the game, and I know that I'm pretty excited to get mine in the mail soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yeah, that ante question is a good one. I'd been wondering that, myself. Sometimes I don't want to ante any tokens unless another player does. Can I wait to see what they do before making a decision?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting your questions here, and glad to hear that you're having fun with the game!

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) Reaping works just as you've described. If the target is unable to discard tokens (either for not having any or for already having discarded them all) then Vanaah gets her Rush back.

2) Zaamassal's Distortion does not actually change ranges. Dash's dodge effect still supersedes it (because 'cannot' effects override all other effects that contradict them). When Zaamassal asks 'Do I hit?' if the opponent is at range 4, 5, or 6, then he answers 'Yes' and continues with his hit effect and damage effect, even if he would not hit based on his attack range. Much like an auto-stun effect says 'yes you are stunned, regardless of anything else', this auto-hit effect says 'yes you land the hit, regardless of what your printed range says'

3) There is no turn order to the ante phase. Players can ante in either order, and you can always ante more tokens, even if you've previously passed--you can just never take them back. The reveal phase begins when both players agree they do not want to ante any more.

3.5) Luc's stun effect (and all ante effects, really) occurs as soon as the cards are revealed (the only ante effect which actually happens during Ante is Heketch's teleport). Keep in mind that stun just skips the target's activation--they still get Start of Beat and End of Beat effects, plus any passive or reveal effects their attack pairs normally grant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
delios shadowsoul
msg tools
mbmb
this seemed a good place to ask, rather then start ANOTHER rules question thread =p

For movement, SPECIFICALLY "move x":
with an ability that says "move up to x", can you start moving one direction, and then reverse direction? For example, on a move up to 3, can you retreat a space, and then advance a space, in essence standing still?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Stevens
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Movement is in one direction only.

However, "Move up to 3" does allow zero as a valid option.
But when you move 1-3, you can't stay where you started.

If you have two different move effects, you can use them separately to end up where you started, but a single move effect is in one direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.