• [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"Daddy, are you on Gored Bame Beak?!"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes you love it?

(I ask, even though I really enjoy it too. Nick did a great job in creating a clean mechanic with a solid story. It's got just enough of a challenge that I'm taunted to play again when I pass out on that last roll. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I like about it is that the mechanic is really easy, but requires skill. It's not just "roll dice, see if you succeed." You actually have to carefully plan your moves, and you can improve with practice.

Plus it's just a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game, and really enjoyed it.

It is, as TFG says, a very clean mechanic. Everything just works. I've not felt it necessary to ask one question - and with a 12pp rulebook, that's a feat in itself these days.

The theme is interesting, and the idea of adventuring then returning to base to work on your finds is appealing, and fun.

The different approaches make for a good bit of variety. Rolling a pair gives you an automatic near-success since you get 0 in the 100s column. But many other rolls are not so easy to place.

I avoided encounters and doubt I'll see many treasures - the risk associated with taking on the L5 beasties is high.

I had a really lucky first playthrough, which of course helps you look fondly on a game; but I can see that my experience isn't going to be the norm. In particular the progress of time is going to mess up a good proportion of games.

I will try make this into a proper review at some point. For now just: wow! Free, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The legendary treasures are very risky, but don't forget your paralysis wand. You could use it to easily get at least one of the treasures. The question becomes: which one?

I look forward to your review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.