Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not mentioned in the rules, but I assume you can't place your T-piece into jeoparday? Also, if, on your turn, you have the opportunity to move you T piece into the corner square to win the game, can you still do so if it places your T piece into "Terrace"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ghilardi
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
I would say that if the answer to your first question is "No", then the answer to your second question must also be "No", since the moving of the T to the goal square controlled by an opposing piece is merely a specific application of the general principle derived from the negative answer to your first question.

I think this makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving a T-piece into the opposite corner is a win condition, different from any other square on the board. If its illegal to move your T-piece into Terrace/Terrace-Mate on any other space its because your opponent would capture it on their next turn. But they wouldn't have a next turn if your T-piece made it to the corner, even if the opponent has a piece diagonally opposite. I guess, since the rules don't go into this kind of detail, that situation is open to house-rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ghilardi
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
I'm going to take a different tack from my earlier post. There I bought into your assumption that not allowing a T to move into jeopardy was a good and necessary rule that Messrs. Dresden and Siler had somehow overlooked. To the contrary, the designers' silence on this matter is both studied and telling. I'm sure they were both familiar with chess and its you-can't-put-the-king-in-check rule. If they had wanted that rule in their game, they would surely have put it there. I bow to their wisdom.

On the general principle that what is not explicitly forbidden is allowed, I now assume that it is permitted to blunder your T into jeopardy. Your opponent then announces, "Terrace" (out of courtesy), and promptly captures your T winning the game. (If she has a bit more courtesy, she'll say "Terrace" before your fingers have slipped away from your T.)

This solution has several salutary results:
1) It preserves the clear, simple, elegant, original rules of the designers.
2) As you rightly point out, a T moving onto the goal square wins the game even if your opponent is attacking the square with a piece diagonally opposite because she has no future turn in which she may capture your T. Your logic is flawless here and must be acknowledged.
3) Both the house rule, "you can't put your T in jeopardy" and its exception for the goal square are eliminated. (Ockham's razor is one of the finest instruments for intellectual grooming.)

I think this post made more sense than my first. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.