Forbidden Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Another hand limit question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karl smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hi all
my family played our first game of FI tonight and we all loved it but there was disscussion over what happened when your hand limit of 5 cards was exceeded after drawing your first of 2 cards from the treasure deck.So should we discard immediatly down to 5 cards or wait to we have drawn the 2nd treasure card and then reduce our hand back down to 5 cards.
Thanks for your thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 7 of the Rulebook:

HAND LIMIT

You may only have 5 cards in your hand, including Treasure and Special Action cards. If you ever find you have 6 or more cards (for example because you drew more cards or received cards from another player) you must immediately choose and discard the excess to the Treasure discard pile. If you choose to discard a Special Action card, you may use its action before discarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Yes but in the rule book it also says to discard down to 5 cards at the END of your turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Draw 2, and use as you see fit, as long as you end up with 5 cards at the end you'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game designer answered this in another thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7143314#7143314

Quote:
At the end of your turn, you draw 2 Treasure cards. These can be evaluated together and need not be drawn 1 at a time. Many people play this way naturally and that was the spirit in which the rules were written.

That said, Flood cards should be drawn 1 at a time so players can respond to them individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karl... you are drawing the cards at the end of your turn... thus you have to get yourself back down to 5 if you go over... Otherwise.. if it isn't your turn and you get given cards that send you over 5.. well.. time to use that sand bag or helicopter or discard.. no saving until the end of your own turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat2surf wrote:
karl... you are drawing the cards at the end of your turn... thus you have to get yourself back down to 5 if you go over... Otherwise.. if it isn't your turn and you get given cards that send you over 5.. well.. time to use that sand bag or helicopter or discard.. no saving until the end of your own turn.

People save sand bags and helicopter lifts to use for later? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.