Subject: Catan Seafarers - Editions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Marsden
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played and enjoyed The Settlers of Catan, I'm looking to get the Seafarers expansion, but I note in the BGG description it says:

Quote:
"The American version (Mayfair) should only be used with the American base game, instead of the German one (Kosmos), because of matching components and for the same reason, the Kosmos German version should only be used with the German base game. Additionally, several different editions exist; 4th edition is the most recent. Editions should only be used with same edition, otherwise the purchase of adapter kit is required."

As far as I can see, I have the 2003 copyright Mayfair Games edition of Settlers, so how do I tell which edition of Seafarers I should get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul LastName
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mayfair 3rd edition, most likely. It should have very similar box art style to your base game, as opposed to the (current) 4th edition that came out in 2007 and looks like the image associated with the game on the BGG page.

You can really play with it, it will just have different art styles, and the newer edition assumes you have a frame for your base game (which can be purchased as a part of the adapter kit mentioned for under $10).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Marsden
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, right thanks for the info.

It would be nice to get matching pieces, but unless someone's selling a 3rd edition Seafarers, that seems unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.