Subject: Elves, Archers, Orcs! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working towards a few ideas for Goblin Slayer variants,

Inspired by Lord Bukkas excellent review, which touched on some of the things I'd been working on then promptly neglected, I thought I'd stick these up... theyre a bit undertested mind you!

The first idea was to swap out the dwarf for an Elf, and the second to create some more monsters for the goblin player..

I've had a couple of tests with the following rules. I'm not sure I’ve go the balance quite right with this, but it does provide a different set of tactics to the game....

ELF PLAYER

So, my thinking is an elf is faster than a dwarf, and has his bow to pick off goblins from long range. He is not as good a fighter, so doesn’t have the lunge attack and isn’t usually quite so strong hand to hand. He'll have to fight that bit harder if he gets surrounded, but can help avoid that with his ranged attack.

So...

The elf works in the same way as Stormbeard except for the following changes:

The elf can move his movement allowance of 2 and still attack. However, when sweeping, deduct 1 from the elf’s dice roll for each space moved by the Elf. So if the elf moves one space and the roll is 1, the result is 0 and no goblins are removed. This should allow for the elf to move slightly faster than Stormbeard, but still have to think a bit about whether it’s worth running for it

He does not have a lunge attack. Instead, if he has no enemies adjacent to him, he may fire an arrow at an enemy that is within line of sight as shown in the following diagram:

Note that I’ve tried to avoid a "true" line of sight for something more streamlined to avoid Space Hulk levels of LOS confusion. It also allows the goblins more chances of avoiding getting shot, reducing the strength of the special attack to something more comparable with the Dwarfs lunge attack. Think of it as cover being available to those goblins, or them moving too quickly to get a proper bead on...

Here’s how it works. Along the rows of hexes that the Elf can see directly down, (the black arrows), simply count the number of hexes between the elf and the goblin (including the goblins hex) and that is the number you must roll equal or above to kill it. The elf can also fire across rows (the white arrows), but can only hit the hexes that are in a line with his own.

So by way of example, you can see that firing upwards in the diagram, the elf can hit for 2, 4 and 6 in that line. There’s a pesky goblin hiding very close, but he can’t be targeted, giving the goblin player a few tactical options to avoid dying and to creep up on the elf.
Cave walls block line of sight if a wall forms part of the row (along the black arrows) or if the cave wall crosses both hexes along the white arrow

Ogres shrug off arrows and are therefore immune to the elf’s long range attack.

The elf may fire an arrow instead of moving, so with his two movement allowance he could move/move, move/fire, fire/move or fire/fire.
The Elf cannot fire if there is a monster in an adjacent space.

SPECIAL MONSTERS

The Goblin Player can spend 2 goblins to gain a goblin archer
A Goblin archer moves 1 space. He can fire an arrow rather than move. He does this following the same rules for LOS as the elf, but with a -2 modifier to his dice result. For example, if the normal to hit score for the Elf would be 3, the Goblin must roll 5 or 6 to hit.

The Goblin Player can spend 2 goblins to gain an Orc.
An Orc can move 2 spaces. He cannot be lunged, but only counts as one goblin in any combat and it only takes 1 wound to kill him.

The Goblin Player can spend 3 goblins to gain an Orc archer
An Orc archer moves 2 spaces. He can fire an arrow rather than move, or do a combination of both (move/move, move/fire, fire/move or fire/fire). He does this following the same rules for LOS as the elf, but with a -2 modifier to his dice result. For example, if the normal to hit score for the Elf would be 3, the Goblin must roll 5 or 6 to hit. He cannot be lunged, but only counts as one goblin in any combat and it only takes 1 wound to kill him.

The Goblin Player can spend 3 goblins to gain an ogre - he’s massively under-priced at the moment! The Ogre can move 2 spaces, is immune to lunge and counts as two goblins.
The goblin player can remove goblins from his active pool at the start of the monsters appear phase, paying the goblin value for the special monster and putting the spent goblins into a discard pool.

The Goblin Player can never spend more than 6 Goblins to gain special monsters. He can trade in any of these special monsters for their goblin value (e.g. regain 3 goblins for trading in an ogre). They can only be traded in:
A: when they are killed - return the number of goblins to your pool rather than the "dead" monster.
B: By entering a tunnel. Rather than respawning the monster, the goblin player can trade them in for goblins and spawn them instead following the usual spawning rules.

HERO STONES

Currently, the hero stones are a little underpowered for anything other than saving your life.

Vorpal Axe. Rather than adding 1, the vorpal axe doubles the value rolled. Note the dwarf can choose to do this after rolling the dice. For example, a roll of 3 would be doubled to 6, which is then halved to cause 3 wounds.
The elf cannot use this power, but can double his die result when shooting arrows in the same manner.

Quickening - Rather than adding 1 to the movement, this allows the dwarf or elf to move 2 free spaces, and then carry out their normal move. So the dwarf could move 2 free spaces and then still attack, while the Elf could move 2 free spaces, move a further 2 spaces and then sweep at -2 to his die roll.

Invulnerable Shield - the Elf can use the shield power in the same manner as the dwarf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit! I thought my Goblin Slayer copy was complete - now I've gotta go buy some more miniatures.

[In other words - great work ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers

I was putting together some GW night goblins for the archers today, and the netters inspired me, so heres another choice:

The Goblin Player can spend 2 goblins to gain a goblin netter.
A Goblin netter is identical to a normal goblin (moves 1 space, dies with 1 wound etc). However, if a goblin netter is involved in a combat, then deduct 1 from the Hero's attack roll (before applying any other modifiers). This is cumulative, so if 3 netters are involved in the combat and the hero rolls 5, this is reduced to 2, then halved for 1 wound.

I'm not convinced the Elf is fast enough, but giving him a movement of 3 would make him pretty powerful...

Had another try with the elf and he did well until he had no choice but to go hand to hand vs the ogre.

I think I might try it - of course, he would then also be a bit dangerous standing his ground and firing off 3 arrows. That said, when he is surrounded, hes in trouble withoput lunge or vorpal axe.

One other idea for the Elf (inspired by Dwarf Kings Hold) would be to give the Elf some kind of dodge ability allowing him to move away from a combat if he survives it to an open space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having had another go with the Elf, I do think he needs a dodge ability:

In the "monsters attack" phase, if the Elf avoids being killed in a combat,he can move again to any adjacent space that isnt also adjacent to a monster that was involved in that combat.

Also, just to clarify that shooting arrows also reduces the Elf's attack roll in the same way as movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while! Life got in the way, and will continue to in that pesky way it has... but I've uploaded a set of rules that allow:

you to enter the caves with 2 heroes: choose from Barbarian, wizard, elf and new improved dwarf - take two of the same kind with you if you like!

You'll need both, as the monsters just got tougher! Choose from Goblin Archers, Goblin Netters, Orcs, Orc Archers, Trolls, Were-Rats, Zombies, Death Knights, Ghouls, Ogres and Dark Elves!

Once the rules pdf appears, I'll explain myself further! They have only been lightly play tested, so I suspect they might have a few tricks up their sleeves... any help in discovering them appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.