$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
113 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: BGG Secret Santa 2011 Wrap-Up and a call for volunteer Replacement Santas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
2011 was a big year for BGG and ended with the biggest Secret Santa we've ever run! Big thanks to everyone who participated!

If you loved your participation and love what you got, please go thank your Santa on the Secret Santa Geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74475 if you haven't already.

Unfortunately, with something this size there are inevitably some folks who were left out in the cold when the new year turns over. It's time to start taking care of those folks:

WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOUR GIFT YET:

We are collecting a list of users who have not received a gift yet here: BGG Secret Santa - No Gift Yet - please fill out that form with your BGG Username and the country you live in.

Our first step is to find out what happened with your Santa. In most cases packages were either sent late or haven't been sent yet but are on their way soon.

Failing that, we will set you up with a replacement Santa. Hang in there - we'll take care of you!

WHAT TO DO IF YOU WANT TO HELP OUT SOMEONE WHO'S SANTA DISAPPEARED:

We already have quite a few volunteers, but I always prefer to have more volunteers than I need. If you've already volunteered, or you are thinking about volunteering now - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Secret Santa wouldn't run nearly as smoothly if it weren't for the safety net you provide!

If you've already signed up as a Give Only Santa when the exchange began, then you are already on the list of awesome folks!

If you want to join the awesome folks list, sign-up to volunteer as a Replacement Santa here: Update - the response has been overwhelming! I think I have more than enough people currently, so I've closed off the sign-up for this. Thanks - you all rock!

For those curious, there are a number of reasons why a Santa might not follow through. Most of the time it involves something sucky that came up in real life that took precedent over an internet gift exchange. That's understandable, and we can make accommodations to make up for their lack of participation in such situations.

In the unfortunate circumstance that someone fails to make any effort to fulfill their Secret Santa commitments, they will find themselves unable to buy/sell/trade or participate in any future exchanges.

If last year is any indication, that will only happen to a fraction of 1% of all participants. 99.5% success is pretty amazing, in my opinion. Just one more reason I love this place

To EVERYONE

Unless you are 100% certain that your target has received his/her gifts (in other words, your target has explicitly confirmed/indicated that they've been received) PLEASE hold on to all purchase and shipping receipts and information. In the unfortunate situation that your package was lost by the delivery company I will be asking for that information as a way to confirm that you held up your part of the exchange.

It's been a great year...here is to an even greater 2012!

-MMM
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up and ready to jump in again.

Warming up the sleigh...

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for running the gift exchange, was a lot of fun! Looking forward to participating again this year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You do an amazing job! And, special kudos to the back-up Santas.

thumbsup and thumbsup

I'm sure I'll be back next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to sign up for the original event but didn't know if I would still be working until just before Christmas (I am). So sign me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had such an awesome Santa this year, sending me Automobile and Eclipse, so how I can I not join?
*signed*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to volunteer for the backup-Santa list, but being out of work at the minute has meant it's been enough strain on the finances getting my actual Secret Santa sent out, let alone an extra one.

Next year, though, God willing, I will play the part of an emergency Santa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digger Cook
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. Substitute Secret Santas Assemble!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Rüscher
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
Essen 2012 - yay!
mbmbmbmbmb

I had a great 2011 so I'm happy to jump in as a substitute Santa as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagri Akyurt
Turkey
Istanbul
Uskudar
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was too late to be a Secret Santa. This is a great opportunity to make people smile

**signed**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Thran
Germany
Maria Rain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the hard work Matthew, it was a great experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know if there are enough volunteers yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
diehard4life wrote:
Do you know if there are enough volunteers yet?

I won't know that until late this month as new issues will continue to trickle in throughout the month and as those that are on the list resolve themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone should make a volunteer secret santa micro badge award...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a very generous Santa, so time to give. I'll step up if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lingwei ko
Singapore
flag msg tools
This is not the clue you are looking for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up as a sub! Always better to give than to receive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Dotson
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to continue spreading some Christmas cheer. Signed up and ready for the victim... er...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
BGDigger wrote:
I'm in. Substitute Secret Santas Assemble!

Edit for info: Not photoshopped, it's a brilliant costume, known as "Desaturated Santa".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have signed up. I'll help where I can.

I understand that life gets in the way (heck that's the reason I backed out this year because I knew things would get complicated if I went in). But the person who didn't send anything still GOT something!

I would be prepared to pay the shipping for that person to send what they received on to their intended target. It's not a great excuse and I would hope that there are very few of those. The weird thing is that I have less of a problem with the weasels who just sign up to get free stuff and then disappear. At least we know their slime balls...no excuses. With the "life gets in the way" folks they went in with the intention of giving (and may very well be BGG vets) and have made a conscious choice not to give a gift.

My feeling is this. If you don't give a gift and yet happily received one there should be a suspension of service to BGG...the length determined by the admins.

If you can't afford things there are alternatives. Send something from your collection. Send GG. Send something hand made (e.g., PnP games, etc). I am quite sure that if your target got something from you that took some effort and there was a note that said I'm sorry I can't do more because I lost my job, that would be better than not getting anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to help out, but sadly, funds are a bit on the low side. I hope everyone finds a santa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R
Brazil
São Roque
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Santa + Great Surprise = Great Contribution

I am in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an amazing Santa who gave me No Retreat, a card game AND a gift card.

If needed, I can help!

-JRG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sittel
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
I admit it... I am a Euro-gaming snob.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering aloud here:

Is there an option for people who want to help but aren't able to give the full ~$50 needed to buy a gift? Could we have a 'general fund' where cash/Paypal donations of any kind could be given, and then possibly partner with an online game store to use the collected funds to fill some of the orders? This would reduce the number of 'full' volunteers needed to fill in all the gaps, and allow more of us to help out with what we're each able to donate.

Perhaps there's a tax liability or something else here I'm missing, but if we all had the option to chip in a little, could we accomplish more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
@Jonathan: I have known people whose lives went so haywire they lost Net access. Rare these days, I know, but it still happens.

And, sadly, I have had friends die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.