$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
113 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: BGG Secret Santa 2011 Wrap-Up and a call for volunteer Replacement Santas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am fortunate to have few financial commitments and a stable job. Signed up for replacement Santa-hood.

Ho ho ho!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwikstreet wrote:
I signed up to be a replacement.

Santa Clone Army Unite!!!

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
David N wrote:
I'd like to help out here but is it OK to request that I get a target in my "local" area (EU in my case, I guess)?

Definitely. Just add that as a note in the last section of the form that the link takes you to.

Thanks!

OK, thanks for reply, I'm in. Ho, ho, ho again burp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Overweg
United States
ZEELAND
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first year doing secret santa and I sorry to say that it was a real disappointment.

I had a good time with the giving aspect, and my target seemed to like their gifts so that made me quite happy.

On the receiving side things were not as cool. I never recieved any messages from my santa, and thats fine, I know most santas are silent. A week after Christmas a box finally came. It contained the cheapest game off my wishlist. Judging from the shipping address on the box it shipped from a domestic retailer, a little research on their website shows that the cost of the game and shipping would have been about 18 USD. I know that this is the risk you take with a anonymous exchange, but it bums me out. Maybe santa was having a rough year and couldn't spare much, but I wish he would have at least let me know.

Should I file an offical complaint, or just be happy with what I did get? Would it be ok to file a complaint even though I did recieve something? The rules were pretty clear that there is a 50 USD expectation, and it seems pretty clear that my santa was not even close to that. Maybe he just didn't know about that part of the rules and should be corrected so that others are not disappointed in the future.

I should probably just be thankful for what I did get, but I just wanted to get this off my chest. At this point I am not sure that I would participate next year after this experience. What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
thejeffo wrote:

Should I file an offical complaint, or just be happy with what I did get? Would it be ok to file a complaint even though I did recieve something?

Sorry to hear about this, Jeff. Geekmailing you about it right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynda Shea
United States
Tolland
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It warms my heart to see so many people volunteering as a replacement Santa. I can tell you that I did it for 2 years when Tom was running the Secret Santa exchange in addition to being a participant myself. Being an educator, I didn't have a lot of extra money, but I hated to think of someone feeling left out during this time. So, in the spirit of helping out a fellow boardgame geek get something that they really wanted and a couple surprises to personalize it, I took the plunge too. It meant more to me than what physical items I got during those years. So, again, kudos to all of you! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have signed up as well. I received some great stuff from my SS and I know that the person I sent to has received and is very happy.

I know that the BGG gods will know who has not sent and hope they take appropriate action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thejeffo wrote:
What do you guys think?

I think you got hosed. I think it would take a much bigger man than I am to not feel disappointed. I think your Santa should at least explain themselves to the Secret Santa mods. I think you're being very adult about the whole thing in your post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Watson
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
Gamer for over 30 years, & online games retailer for over 10 years
mbmbmbmbmb
Should we receive any kind of acknowledgement from doing that form? I was unable to offer money but I offered the chance of postagefree gifts & got no response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
Unhalfbricking wrote:
Should we receive any kind of acknowledgement from doing that form? I was unable to offer money but I offered the chance of postagefree gifts & got no response.

I'll start calling volunteers up to active duty near the end of the month. First I need to contact Santas whose targets signed the complaint form. Then I need to wait for responses. I'll send a geekmail to volunteers as needs for them come up.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am now officially no longer a delinquent Santa.

And yes, Santa sent a nice note to my target explaining all about elves and the difficulties I've had dealing with their working environment demands.

pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb

Another rehabilitated Santa. Does my geek heart good!

Kraken Fan #69

PatK wrote:
I am now officially no longer a delinquent Santa.

And yes, Santa sent a nice note to my target explaining all about elves and the difficulties I've had dealing with their working environment demands.

pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Barreveld
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
SCUBA Bunny!
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up as a Santa-clone as well.

Had a blast with the Secret Santa experience this year.(especially the giving part, to be honest)
The pondering, looking through wishlists, trying to give what I would want to get myself, making it a varied selection, everything.
So: ready to jump in if required to. laugh

- Sharkdog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I got really excited when I came home to find a calling card left by the postal service for a parcel from Australia - I thought it might have been my silent Santa...but then I realised it was a game we'd imported...so still no word from the jolly fat man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'll start calling volunteers up to active duty near the end of the month. First I need to contact Santas whose targets signed the complaint form. Then I need to wait for responses. I'll send a geekmail to volunteers as needs for them come up.

Thanks so much for working hard to get us that were left out in the cold something. I have tried to be very generous every year to my targets and love hearing about their reactions, but will have to admit to being a little bummed not getting anything myself. Will the remaining targets get a warning to firm up wishlists? I am trying to pull off a few trades for some items on my wishlist so don't want to cause trouble for my new Santa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker Schlundt
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you still need some help, I'll be working this whole week, but I'm sure I could get something out by say the 25th

I want everyone to have a really awesome PnP Christmas!

PS. Stupid place to ask, but Didn't I see a magazine that was devoted solely to doing PnP? If so can someone throw me the link? I want to subscribe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to volunteer as a replacement Santa if you still need any. The link was not working, so perhaps everyone has been taken care of. If not, shoot me a geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
I closed of the sign-up for the replacement Santas for now. I think I've got more than I'll need. The response has been incredible! I love this community

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Octavian wrote:
I closed of the sign-up for the replacement Santas for now. I think I've got more than I'll need. The response has been incredible! I love this community

-MMM

Great news! This is the sort of thing that makes the BGG community so awesome!

Did you get my note on the bottom of my complaint form? Not sure if it'll be needed, but just in case...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kuha
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I can tell we are going to be mortal enemies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to say, you guys are awesome. My Santa didn't come through this year (I think he had some finance issues and I hope he's doing alright), but I had a splendid time as a Santa myself.

I kind of wish I could tell you all about it without giving myself away, but suffice to say, the first year I did this, I just sent a game, which was cool and all. But I had a bit more fun with it this year. Sent a second, supplementary, personal package with a few non-game-related items that, to my delight, was appreciated. Kind of gives you the warm fuzzies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
Someone should make a volunteer secret santa micro badge award...

Hi, I made this:

mb

Which I submitted as an award, hope that's ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
crazylegs wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
Someone should make a volunteer secret santa micro badge award...

Hi, I made this:

mb

Which I submitted as an award, hope that's ok.

Well if you're going to twist my arm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sittel
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
Left count is the number of different board games played in 2014. Right number is the total number of games played in 2014.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santa came through yesterday! FedEx brought a nice, gift-wrapped copy of Ora & Labora. Hooray! Better late than never...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
mcsittel wrote:
Santa came through yesterday! FedEx brought a nice, gift-wrapped copy of Ora & Labora. Hooray! Better late than never...

... and quite possibly it was ordered for you months ago. (A 100% conscientious Santa would have dropped you a line to reassure you, but it's possible you got a merely adequate Santa who just didn't think to check.)

In any case, happy punching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Just received Shipyard, Taj Mahal and Acquire from Secret Santa. Not totally sure if from old Santa or new Santa, but thrilled nonetheless. Will post on the other list as well, but wanted to get this right out. Please take me off the "nothing but a lump of coal" list!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.