$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
113 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: BGG Secret Santa 2011 Wrap-Up and a call for volunteer Replacement Santas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
manymoodys wrote:
Wow! Just received Shipyard, Taj Mahal and Acquire from Secret Santa. Not totally sure if from old Santa or new Santa, but thrilled nonetheless. Will post on the other list as well, but wanted to get this right out. Please take me off the "nothing but a lump of coal" list!!!

We aren't at the point of reassigning people yet - so this was from your original Santa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Lathlain
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonocop wrote:
I understand that life gets in the way (heck that's the reason I backed out this year because I knew things would get complicated if I went in). But the person who didn't send anything still GOT something!
It is an interesting point. Spend nothing, get something.

I guess at the very least they could forward the gift that they have received on to their target and explain via the santa email why they have done that.

In the grand scheme of things, the substitute secret santas are the people that are really just buying a gift for those that ended up not sending anything.

We are just balancing the exchange by adding something into it without taking anything out, to cover for those that have taken something out without putting anything in.

I signed up for the DT secret santa substitute (although I wasn't in the secret santa), but if you still need another substitute here let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get anything this year. So it it's even more obvious to me how amazing is the fact that some people are stepping forward to provide a second opinion on my behavior this year.

So to all, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T B
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallboy wrote:
I guess at the very least they could forward the gift that they have received on to their target and explain via the santa email why they have done that.

Yeah, I like this option. Postage is a pain in the rear, but if your finances have deteriorated so rapidly that you can't afford to buy and ship a game, this is potentially a solution.

Now, I wonder (and I may be way off the mark here) whether some folks just got intimidated by the complexities of using the postal service. Yeah, I know, it's not difficult... but it takes time and effort and can be intimidating for novices.

Would a BGG postal guide (with sections about posting to and from each country) be something that would assist said novices? Does such a guide already exist?

I'm not a BGG SS participant, as much as I would have liked to, because I knew I couldn't afford it - therefore I don't know if you get handed all this info on a platter, and if so, excuse my ignorance.

CRC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kuha
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I can tell we are going to be mortal enemies.
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnRedChops wrote:
tallboy wrote:

Yeah, I like this option. Postage is a pain in the rear, but if your finances have deteriorated so rapidly that you can't afford to buy and ship a game, this is potentially a solution.

Now, I wonder (and I may be way off the mark here) whether some folks just got intimidated by the complexities of using the postal service. Yeah, I know, it's not difficult... but it takes time and effort and can be intimidating for novices.

Would a BGG postal guide (with sections about posting to and from each country) be something that would assist said novices? Does such a guide already exist?

I'm not a BGG SS participant, as much as I would have liked to, because I knew I couldn't afford it - therefore I don't know if you get handed all this info on a platter, and if so, excuse my ignorance.

CRC

It would certainly be interesting to see if such a guide would reduce the number of delinquent Santas. And, since so much of this hobby is centered around trading to begin with, such a guide would just be a damned good idea in general.

That said, I don't think that's the reason for most Santa delinquencies. It's an interesting theory, but my gut tells me it's not the real answer. My thinking is, if someone is intimidated by the postal system, then they likely would just not sign up.

That said, the real benefit of this postal guide would actually be a little different. I think that by posting this guide in the call for Secret Santa in October, might just attract more participants and make this a bigger, more awesome event. If people stay away from SS in general because they are intimidated by the way it has to be implemented, a nicely presented, easy-to-follow guide to all things shipping might just allay some fears and attract more participants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
The barebones Santa:

1. Check the box that says "pick a recipient in my country" (or any popular country)

2. Pick an OLGS in the target's country.

3. Order a gift from their wishlist on the web.

No shipping know-how required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnRedChops wrote:

CRC

I'm not sure a separate shipping guide is necessary...

There is already a very extensive list of online stores for various countries. There is also a geeklist - separated out by country - that lists these stores, as well as some customs information. Users have also added customs/shipping info to this list, and some BGG users from notoriously-hard-to-ship-to places have offered their assistance to anyone who asks for it. Some Santas have even had success with directly asking their target for assistance via the Santa account.

If one is unsure of how to go about international shipping, they could either choose to have a target from their country, or they could shop an online store in/near the target's country and have the store ship it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How deep is the need for secret santas to have targets from other countries? I selected that this year and got a target in India. Shipping was $45 using USPS 21 day arrival or $145 using fed ex 7 day arrival. It really hurt to spend so much on shipping when I could have spent that money on more games for my target if it was a more local target. I tried to fight the sick feeling by hoping that there is a huge need for people in the US to take on targets from outside the states!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be curious to know the country breakdown of people who were slighted by Santa versus the breakdown of the exchange overall.

(And yes, I know that there are countries where package delivery is less reliable than others.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
How deep is the need for secret santas to have targets from other countries? I selected that this year and got a target in India. Shipping was $45 using USPS 21 day arrival or $145 using fed ex 7 day arrival. It really hurt to spend so much on shipping when I could have spent that money on more games for my target if it was a more local target. I tried to fight the sick feeling by hoping that there is a huge need for people in the US to take on targets from outside the states!

I am not (nor have I ever been) an American, but I had a similar experience in that my target was in Russia and it was a real effort to find an online shop that was willing to negotiate postage that was only the same price as the game I purchased from them. Most shops quoted over a hundred US dollars for postage to the capital of the former Soviet Union.

Like yourself, I was somewhat vexed at paying the price of a new game for postage for one item.

Not sure how to address this other than participate in the Australia/NZ SS next year and not worry about the international one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
muzfish4 wrote:
dond80 wrote:

I am not (nor have I ever been) an American, but I had a similar experience in that my target was in Russia and it was a real effort to find an online shop that was willing to negotiate postage that was only the same price as the game I purchased from them. Most shops quoted over a hundred US dollars for postage to the capital of the former Soviet Union.

Like yourself, I was somewhat vexed at paying the price of a new game for postage for one item.

Not sure how to address this other than participate in the Australia/NZ SS next year and not worry about the international one.

My target was also in Russia, but my online game store (Time Well Spent) shipped my order for about $50 US, and it got there reasonably quickly and well ahead of Christmas. It shipped through the U.S. Postal Service, and I tracked it online all the way through Russian customs and to the target's locality, which was a nice surprise to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmb
Will it be announced when targets are assigned? I ask because my wishlist has been more or less frozen for two months, and I don't want to make any purchases or trades if rescue Santa is already perusing my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J'adore quand ils m'appellent Big Poppa
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Imagine that.
badge
"You can only become slightly less embarrassing at Werewolf once you realize you are an abomination to the game like all of us." - dbmurph22
mb
chuckhazard wrote:
Will it be announced when targets are assigned? I ask because my wishlist has been more or less frozen for two months, and I don't want to make any purchases or trades if rescue Santa is already perusing my wishlist.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
chuckhazard wrote:

Yes - I will let you know. Most re-assignements won't happen until the end of the month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muzfish4 wrote:
dond80 wrote:

I had a similar experience last year with a target who was in Russia. My first attempt was to try an navigate a russian game store site, but even with a native russian on the phone with me, that proved difficult. My target was actually extremely helpful and offered up Boards and Bits (an american OGS) as an alternative (where he bought his games). Shipping was still expensive ($40 or so), and it took about 6 weeks to get there, but I spoke frequently with him to update him on the status of the package. It actually ended up being cheaper to order from B&B than to order it from a Russian store and have it delivered to him.

I think some countries are just really difficult to get games to, whether or not you live there. For the target, he had to go through the same rigmarole to buy games for himself, so even though a lot of money was spent on shipping, games in Russia are just more expensive than in other parts of the world.

I feel a little bad about it, but this year, I limited it to the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I had a Russian target this year (US last year, so I guess it evens out), and s/he too recommended B&B as his/her source; according to the tracking info it arrived before christmas, but no acknowledgment yet from him/her, which is a little worrying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What should a user do if they originally requested assistance, but since doin so they received their package?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
What should a user do if they originally requested assistance, but since doin so they received their package?

Geekmail me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a target in Russia this year as well. I spent 125% of the cost of the game to ship a $65 game there. To me, that's part of the fun of the Secret Santa exchange. Helping a Comrade in the FSR get a hook up on a game that's difficult to get where he lives. I was able to see the tracking info all the way to the delivery. The Russian site was of no help to me and so I shipped from North America. Too bad as I would have liked to spend more on the recipient instead of shipping. soblue

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every year I participate in the full international Secret Santa, and for the last few years I've gotten targets all over the world. I wonder, though, because I've seen a lot of comments about limiting to US only, if each year I become less and less likely to get a target IN the US. It seems that as people bow out, I'm more and more likely to get an international target.

I LOVE sending stuff overseas, but because of the shipping, I rarely get to be one of the "hero" secret santas. It'd be nice to do that again, but I also like the mystery of not knowing where my target will be in the world. I guess, in other words, I'm a bit worried that the mystery has been replaced by "WILL get an international target."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems Russia is its own particular case, but thought it worthwhile to describe my experience.

I know 8 BGGs, all of us had faraway secret santa targets. All of us used local game shops and paid domestic shipping. One guy clicked on the flag and found a BGG in his target's country to help with a game store whose language (French) he didn't understand. The Santa threads were full of posts pointing out retailers in target countries so no international shipping would be necessary.

I sent my target (6000km away) something personal from here, and two mid-sized games from a FLGS near their house. Total shipping paid: 20 bucks.

I'm not saying anyone's not a good Santa--obviously the program shows the opposite is true. I'm saying BGG and its members provided ample information so the vast majority of people would have required no international shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zolotarev Vladimir
Russia
Nizhny Novgorod
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from Russia...

And so went my first exchange. My "target" got a present from Santa and said that he was very pleased. What I can not say about myself. My Santa forgot about me. ;( No letters from Santa... Neither any gift...

This is a very sad experience. I am glad only that I was able to bring joy to my "target".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Sim
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Just to share with u!
I got an USA target for SS2012 and I bought my games from USA online store and paid for the shipping of abt USD8-10 if I remember correctly to get the parcel to my target.

Bogas - www.bogas.com.sg offers free shipping anyway in Singapore for purchase of more than SGD75. My Secret Santa sent me 5 small games from Bogas with the free shipping thrown in!

Cheers,
Michelle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Couto
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still without Santa these year... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
United States
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:
I LOVE sending stuff overseas, but because of the shipping, I rarely get to be one of the "hero" secret santas.

I think with so many people afraid of the international shipping, the fact that you do send things to our fellow geeks overseas means that you are a hero secret santa, every year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.