Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the looks of this... It seems that for 1 gold you get an extra piece that can just come back to help your opponents?

Do they really add anything interesting to the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it brings more fights and more VP.
Extra one token makes quite a difference for races with 4 and less on their badge.
Also leaders it attracts enemies for the potential VP, so it brings some new an interesting attacking and defensive options.
The leaders are always an option for each race so it give a little more strategic flexibility.
All in all they are great...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall they are a benefit:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/499241/an-analysis-of-leader...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/507181/an-analysis-of-leader...

Whether it's interesting enough to include, not sure - haven't played with them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russ rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent played leaders yet it,s soo expensive?. how many copys they print 1000? jerks at days of wonder!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them, and always include them, but they are seldom bought.

Personally I don't use them a lot, and the more players, the less likely I am to buy the leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy I got for free. Want to know how?

Glass gaming stones.

I dipped into my supply of Chessex gaming stones and pulled out 5, each in a different color. (Now that Tunnels raises the player cap to 6, looks like I'll add 1 more stone.) I guess this wasn't technically free, since I did at one point buy the gaming stones. But that's why they're there--for cases like this.

Everybody gets a stone, and that's their stone throughout the game. If they choose to purchase a leader for their new race, they get to use the stone. If they don't purchase a leader, the stone sits out the race. And if they go into decline while someone holds their leader captive, that player immediately cashes in the stone for VPs.

Really, getting the cardboard chits adds nothing to the game. They use the same artwork, just with a different shape than normal chits. But Leaders definitely add a new dynamic, as others have pointed out. If you download the rules, you can get the same effect from whatever you have lying around--even pennies. Why spend the outrageous rates some people ask?

I see someone on eBay right now charging $65. Ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Palmer
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
$65? LOL. let's see. i can either buy any new video game i want, or i can buy a handful of round cardboard tokens that cost all of $2 to make. hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just won this thing in an auction for pretty cheap.

Do any of you have any alternatives for this if the rules that come with it don't work out? I have feeling that the way it might play out might be a little... unimpressive.

But I'm sure there is a great way to implement these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gansen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played this expansion but I seem to agree the benefit of the extra piece doesn't seem to outweigh the benefit to the other players. A thought on balancing this... what if the leader was worth 2 pieces, instead of just 1. In my mind, a leader should be extra strong and this would justify the risk and give more incentive to pay the ransom for the leader. Just a thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonzo García
Spain
Benidorm
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play with leaders always get a leader for free when you got a new race. So all players have leaders in play.
Later nobody gets a leader, too expensive pay one coin for this because another player can get two coins.

I get my leader expansion by BGG, so cheap, but a few years early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.