Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this most excellent game for the holidays!!

My only question (so far):
Can you purchase any of your neighbor's resources that they played this turn?
(Also) Could they purchase any resources from me that I played this turn?

Seems if we're playing our cards simultaneously, it's unclear as to when I can buy a neighbor's resource.

We had a situation where a player played a card but was mistakenly short one resource.
However, one of the other players played a card THAT turn which 'offered' the missing resource which was now able to be played by the other player.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question (hope not, anyway)
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
France
Expat in Brittany (Bretagne)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. The rules are explicit about not being able to use coins you got in that round. But other players resources...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot buy resources that were built the same turn. The resources must have been built in a previous turn. Also you must have the money available at the beginning of the turn; you cannot use money earned on that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only card effects that seemingly contradict the "can't benefit from things created this turn" are:

1) Yellow cards which grant coins based on card counts of neighbors DO include buildings that were just played.
2) Halicarnassus Wonder effects (and Solomon, if I recall correctly) CAN search through any cards that were discarded the same turn they are played/enacted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule seems pretty obvious to me. The cost to play a card must be met before the card can be played - and since cards are nominally played simultaneously, anything played that round is not available in time to be used.

The benefits are determined after playing the card - and thus cards played by neighbours are available (as are discards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Note : if a player has chosen a card but is unable to build either the structure
or the Wonder stage, that player is then forced to discard the card
and takes 3 coins from the bank.

Page 5 (above) of the rules states that if you are 'unable' therefore 'the cost to play a card' does not HAVE to be met (although, of course, you'd want it to - also I do not see that in the rules, maybe I missed it?)

So, it isn't as 'obvious' as we'd like it to be.

I'll just 'house-rule' - no resources may be bought on the turn they come out.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Archer
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mercom wrote:
Note : if a player has chosen a card but is unable to build either the structure
or the Wonder stage, that player is then forced to discard the card
and takes 3 coins from the bank.

Page 5 (above) of the rules states that if you are 'unable' therefore 'the cost to play a card' does not HAVE to be met (although, of course, you'd want it to - also I do not see that in the rules, maybe I missed it?)

So, it isn't as 'obvious' as we'd like it to be.

I'll just 'house-rule' - no resources may be bought on the turn they come out.

You can't buy resources that weren't there. Thematically that "year" or whatever time frame you consider each card play was taken up building that building. While a building is being built it can't be producing resources.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.