$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Biblios» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A Brief Couples review - An auction game we can play without company! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Annie was a Bayesian....
mbmbmbmbmb
I acquired Biblios recently after recommendations in some of my other couples review threads, plus it was an early add to my list of games for time poor couples with kids.

There are a number of excellent reviews of the game on BGG and I am not a lover of clutter, so I plan to keep my review brief and to the point.

The Game

Hereby attempting my briefest ever rules summary, deep breath...

An auction game, with a starting draft whereby one each turn keeps a card, sends a card to auction and the balance are distributed to other players (one in a two player game). There are five colour cards, and gold cards, plus cards that allow you to influence the end value of the five colours, each represented by a dice starting on '3'. Those cards must be played as soon as they are acquired. Once round auctions card by card - bid for colours with gold, gold with any number of unrevealed cards. Highest total of a colour wins (ties broken with lowest letter card of that colour). Sum your dice totals for each colour you won, highest score wins, ties broken by gold, then by whoever wins the monk category.

The Verdict

The box and components for this game are superb, some of the best I have seen in my collection. The game is quick to play and easy to learn.

But the biggest selling point for me is that I finally have an auction game that plays with two. This issue has limited our plays of High Society, For Sale, Money!, Ra to name but a few. If it weren't for my iPad a lot of these games wouldn't get any plays at all.

The mechanism seemed to work well for Nic and I, and the game was close even though Nic felt she hadn't quite got it.

Definitely one that will stay in the collection and compete for a spot at our gaming sessions - it certainly lived up to expectations, and did indeed feel a little bit like a Knizia game but with a little something extra - nice work Dr Finn!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radioactive Man
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice quick review. I would take another look at Ra for two. It works superbly for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gomez
United States
South Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really need to look at Metropolys. Once you have it down you can play 2 players in 30 mins, and the auction mechanic works great for 2. I play 95% 2-player and am always happy to play this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note: You can bid/buy gold cards with any cards (you don't reveal them), not just color cards.

We LOVE auction games and play all of our games 2 and 3 player. Besides the fascinating Metropolys mentioned above, we also love

Palazzo-building palaces floor by floor, you acquire new tiles by buying or by an ingenious bidding mechanism, no need for a dummy player or altered rules for 2p in this one. Easy to learn, fun to play and plays in 30 min, maybe less after the first play.

Pergamon-you're archeologists looting finds from a dig for your museum displays. The person who draws the biggest crowds to the museum wins! This one does need a dummy to make the bidding (for research funds) work but it's cool and simple and keeps the game tight. I think this one plays in about 30 minutes also, though the first game probably took 40.

*edit: Also we are not terribly fond of Ra as a 2p game either but we do love Ra: The Dice Game which has no auctions but is quick, easy and addictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice review and excellent recommendations from the other posters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Annie was a Bayesian....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kathy, edit made, and thanks again for the prior recommendation on this one GM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. My wife and I love this game, either 2p or 4p with friends. But don't let Ra collect too much dust!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Annie was a Bayesian....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your great feedback, I am starting to think I should just start to write shorter reviews, the format seems to appeal to more folks basis thumbing trends on the five published this week - although the specific game each time obviously influences that as well.

Also, I feel bad about one point above, we dont own a physical copy of Ra only iOS so sounds like another one for the wish list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
DNA results: 50% West Europe; 19% Great Britain; 16% Ireland; 8% Scandinavian; 4% Iberian Peninsula; 2% Italy/Greece; 1% West Asia; -1% Middle East
mbmbmbmbmb
Guy Mullarkey wrote:
Thanks for all your great feedback, I am starting to think I should just start to write shorter reviews, the format seems to appeal to more folks basis thumbing trends on the five published this week - although the specific game each time obviously influences that as well.

Also, I feel bad about one point above, we dont own a physical copy of Ra only iOS so sounds like another one for the wish list

O my goodness, get the physical components of Ra and enjoy the game even more. Beautiful game bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Annie was a Bayesian....
mbmbmbmbmb
Post script - all recommended games on the thread now purchased, looking forward to giving them a try. Also played Biblios again this week, what a superb game it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guy Mullarkey wrote:
Post script - all recommended games on the thread now purchased, looking forward to giving them a try. Also played Biblios again this week, what a superb game it is!

How exciting! I can't wait to read your reviews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.