Chicago Express» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 3 player game with 2 new players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
On Weds I taught CE to two new players (no expansions). I got PRR and B&O, the other players got C&O (Left hand opponent) and NYC (Right hand opponent). On the first round I null auctioned, PRR and NYC were diluted (my RHO bought PRR and my LHO bought NYC). PRR was stillborn and made no builds all game. On the second round my RHO bought a NYC share, I bought a C&O share for $18 and my LHO bought a B&O share for cheap (about $9 IIRC) – it definitely should have gone for more. This created a problem for me as my LHO and I had very similar portfolios:

me: Blue/Yellow/Red
LHO: Blue/Yellow/Green and about $10 more than me
RHO Green/Green/Red but with less cash than me

C&O built the fastest, first by my LHO and then also by myself (we had a 1-1-0 share split, which later became a 2-2-0 share split). C&O hit Chicago first, I bought the Wabash share, NYC built through the woods then along PRRs usual route to Chicago before Wabash could build. Fortunately Wabash had just enough money to build to Chicago, and neither of my opponents diluted it so it paid dividends at $8 /share 2 or 3 times (inc. Chicago). My RHO kept issuing green stock, ending up with 4 of them. By the late midgame my LHO had built B&O to near Wheeling. The last two B&O shares were auctioned, I let my LHO take both (based on 2 more dividends), giving her 3 and me 1, but the company did not have a huge amount of money. One build in the forests was enough to stop her being able to afford to build to Chicago (there were 3 companies there already), and it got to about Fort Wayne before switching to Develop actions. I ended the game by issuing the 3rd PRR share (Green, Blue and Red were depleted), because the other players now had more shares than me. The 2nd Wabash share was also sold. My RHO seemed out of contention in the midgame because the other two of us were working together on C&O, but after hitting Chicago he went a long way to catching up. Scores were fairly close, approx 120(LHO)/110(me)/100(RHO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game Paul and cheers for teaching. It was well taught. I think Yuliya buying the B&O share for peanuts (I think it was approx 9 bucks like you say) was the reason for her being in the dominant position throughout. Credit to the girl for brutal play. I look forward to many more games of CE. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through all of this and then only just after finishing the read did I notice it was you who posted it. I've only played Chicago express once against real boardgamers since university and it didn't go down well with them.

Despite me saying at the start that sometimes the most important moves are often the null auctions/blocking it became more a 'race for chicago' and wasn't that fun. I miss the games of Chicago Express back at Southampton.

It's nice to hear you had a decent game with 3 though, I've never really enjoyed it as much when it's played with anything other than 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.