Subject: Board improvement idea for drunk & clumsy players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Carbone
Australia
Elizabeth Vale
south australia
flag msg tools
One of the things that instantly struck me with Furstenfeld (aside from the elegant simplicity of the marketplace) was how fiddly the board was.... little grain and water tokens skidding everywhere....especially after having partaken of the golden elixir ourselves!

So.... made a few small improvements to the board and now it's much more friendly for clumsy/drunk players! whistle

I scanned the board, and then pasted 2x A3 pages onto a nice piece of thick cardboard.

I then "carved" out the areas where the brewery names sit, so that now the brewery cards are recessed about half a centimetre into the board. That's just enough to stop the cards sliding away, and even better, prevents the tokens that have been sold to the brewery on that turn from being knocked into the "bank".

Then, I carefully cut slits through the board along all 15 goods auction columns, and inserted split pins into each one. So the auctions can still be easily manipulated, but if someone knocks the board the value of all the goods remains intact!

Simple changes, but some that I feel should have been part of the initial board game design.... however, as a result Furstenfeld has become much less fidlly and is rapidly becoming one of our groups weekend favourites! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, all this work. Why don't you just play something else when you're drunk?

Pics, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Carbone
Australia
Elizabeth Vale
south australia
flag msg tools
Lol! If we played something else when we were drinking, then Furstenfeld would never get a run lol!

Board game night = lots of wine and beer!

Will get some pics next time we pull it out for a game - if I remember .

It's one of those neat games where the rules are simple enough that you can play when drinking and still feel like you're a master of strategy when you screw each other over in the Auctions etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.