Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me about an hour to laminate the player boards using 5 mil lamination pouches. I did not do anything to the cards. The lamination gives the player boards a nice stiffness so they stay flat and also protects them from damage (I frequently play at a local bar). It does make the cards slide around a bit but not much more so than they did prior to the lamination.

If you don't think the component quality of Ora et Labora is a problem, this thread isn't for you, there is another thread available that will welcome your comments. I just wanted to let others know that lamination works very well and I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
It took me about an hour to laminate the player boards using 5 mil lamination pouches. I did not do anything to the cards. The lamination gives the player boards a nice stiffness so they stay flat and also protects them from damage (I frequently play at a local bar). It does make the cards slide around a bit but not much more so than they did prior to the lamination.

If you don't think the component quality of Ora et Labora is a problem, this thread isn't for you, there is another thread available that will welcome your comments. I just wanted to let others know that lamination works very well and I highly recommend it.

Where do you buy lamination pouches at? Is it easy to do?

I was going to take my player aids to a local copy center to laminate them but was wondering if anyone knows a price? I assume not more than 1 or 2 dollars per sheet

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Did you cut them in half before, or after you laminated them?

edit: The player aids, not the boards (which I know aren't connected).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a scotch thermal laminator, Amazon sells them for about $35. The lamination pouches are about 50 for $13 (for the standard 9x11 inch size). I used 7 pouches to laminate the player boards plus I laminated two of the player aid sheets for a total of 9 pouches. A laminator is very easy to use, you just place whatever you want to laminate between the two sheets (they are connected on one side like a notebook) then run them through the machine once it heats up. I think FedEx charges somewhere between $2 to $3 per sheet if you do self service, so it would cost you $15 to $20 to laminate the game that way or about $35 if you just buy a laminator (they come with 20 sheets normally, but they are 3 mil instead of 5 mil, thus not as stiff as the 5 mil lamination).

I laminated multiple boards per sheet and then cut around the sheets afterwards. Cutting beforehand doesn't really help as you'll want to trim the edges very closely afterwards so that when you play with them the boards line up with each other. The main work is carefully cutting around the boards, the best way is with a guillotine style paper cutter. I don't have one of those unfortunately so I used a rotary paper trimmer, but as long as you are careful you can cut straight lines with one of them. You could also just use scissors if you are very careful and can cut in a straight line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Hill
United States
Blacklick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
I was going to take my player aids to a local copy center to laminate them but was wondering if anyone knows a price? I assume not more than 1 or 2 dollars per sheet

OfficeMax here charges $1.10 for 8.5x11 or 2.20 for 11x17. My local one does a really good job.

Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How good do they look? Does the finish of the laminated sheets detract from the quality of game? Please post some pictures of your hard work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
done111 wrote:
How good do they look? Does the finish of the laminated sheets detract from the quality of game? Please post some pictures of your hard work.

I would definitely love to see some pictures!

I'm curious about how it works when laying the player boards flush against each other. Does it work well with the lamination?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try and post some pictures this weekend when I get some time. The heat activated lamination sheets glue themselves directly to the paper when heat is applied (assuming the paper is clean), so I cut the lamination off almost right at the edge of the boards so the boards fit together just as they would prior to lamination. I did get a cat hair stuck under the lamination on one board though... oh well.

The lamination sheets I used did give the boards a shiny look so at the right angle to a light source it is slightly annoying, but really that is a very minor thing. The main thing lamination does is make the boards stiff so they stay flat while also protecting them from water/oil damage.

If you haven't done lamination before you might want to experiment with a photo or postcard and trim it around the edges just to get comfortable with the process. There isn't anything to it really though, just have to be patient when cutting around the boards to avoid mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Yang
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Did the lamination put a slight warp into the cards though? I have the same scotch laminator and my cards come out with a very slight warp after lamination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jty3 wrote:
Did the lamination put a slight warp into the cards though? I have the same scotch laminator and my cards come out with a very slight warp after lamination.

I had no issues with warping after lamination, my boards lay perfectly flat against the table. The only problem I had was what I mentioned earlier, that a cat hair got trapped under the film on one board, so it has a small bubble on it around the hair. I also very slightly miscut two boards where I was getting lazy and cutting too quickly with the rotary trimmer. I wish I had a guillotine style paper cutter but they are quite expensive compared to the rotary trimmers.

How badly are your boards warped? Have you tried setting them under a book all night to see if they flatten out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do alot of laminating of player aids made by BGG members. I do have some issues with minor warping. Maybe next time I'll press them under something heavy while they are still "hot off the press".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
I used a scotch thermal laminator, Amazon sells them for about $35. The lamination pouches are about 50 for $13 (for the standard 9x11 inch size). I used 7 pouches to laminate the player boards plus I laminated two of the player aid sheets for a total of 9 pouches. A laminator is very easy to use, you just place whatever you want to laminate between the two sheets (they are connected on one side like a notebook) then run them through the machine once it heats up. I think FedEx charges somewhere between $2 to $3 per sheet if you do self service, so it would cost you $15 to $20 to laminate the game that way or about $35 if you just buy a laminator (they come with 20 sheets normally, but they are 3 mil instead of 5 mil, thus not as stiff as the 5 mil lamination).

I laminated multiple boards per sheet and then cut around the sheets afterwards. Cutting beforehand doesn't really help as you'll want to trim the edges very closely afterwards so that when you play with them the boards line up with each other. The main work is carefully cutting around the boards, the best way is with a guillotine style paper cutter. I don't have one of those unfortunately so I used a rotary paper trimmer, but as long as you are careful you can cut straight lines with one of them. You could also just use scissors if you are very careful and can cut in a straight line.

Did you use 3 or 5 mm laminate?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
Did you use 3 or 5 mm laminate?

I used 5 mil laminate. The mil doesn't mean millimeters though, it means 1000th of an inch, so 5 mil laminate is 5/1000 of an inch think. 1 mil = 0.0254 mm, so 5 mm would be some incredibly think laminate. I like the additional stiffness that you get with 5 mil vs 3 mil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy waffles
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Alright Ladies, you can actually download the player aid from Z-Man if you don't want to do it to the originals.

http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/ora&labora.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I have played the OP's copy and can say the lamination worked out very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mindg4m3 wrote:
Alright Ladies, you can actually download the player aid from Z-Man if you don't want to do it to the originals.

http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/ora&labora.htm

Yes, but this thread is discussing laminating the player boards, not the aids....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been laminating with 7 mil. Nice and thick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lowder
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox -- I assume that when you say "player boards" you are referring to the 4 "heartland landscapes." Correct? Or did you mean the combination of the 4 heartland landscapes, 9 district landscapes, and 9 plot landscapes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
all of the boards including the landscapes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lowder
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx. I ended up doing the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zilch zilch
msg tools
mbmb
I had mine laminated at a Staples Copy/Print shop. It was pricey, but it came out even better than I hoped. The lamination had no bubbles and the cuts were straighter than I would have managed on my own.

5 mil laminate is the way to go, if anyone was wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thezilch wrote:
I had mine laminated at a Staples Copy/Print shop. It was pricey, but it came out even better than I hoped.
I realize that prices will probably fluctuate from market to market, but I've been combing the websites for Staples and Office Despot Depot and have been unable to find pricing for lamination services. (Only laminating machines.) If you don't mind my asking, when you say "a bit pricey," could you be a bit more specific? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zilch zilch
msg tools
mbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
thezilch wrote:
I had mine laminated at a Staples Copy/Print shop. It was pricey, but it came out even better than I hoped.
I realize that prices will probably fluctuate from market to market, but I've been combing the websites for Staples and Office Despot Depot and have been unable to find pricing for lamination services. (Only laminating machines.) If you don't mind my asking, when you say "a bit pricey," could you be a bit more specific? Thanks!

I threw away the receipt, so I will use ~ for approximate values.

Menu prices:
$1.50 per 8.5x11 laminate sheet
~$2 per legal size laminate sheet
$.99 per cutting out each landscape
$2.00 per cutting paper (cutting the Ireland/France summaries in half)

My order:
1. Cut 4 Ireland/France summaries in half and laminate them (2 per legal size laminate)
2. Laminate and cut from laminate each landscape/heartland (a few per laminate sheet)

The entire cost was ~$54, ~$31 of which was attributed to the $.99 cut-outs (there are a lot of landscapes/heartlands/half-game-summaries). If you feel you can cut laminate straight, I recommend you do that on your own. I didn't feel confident doing it, so I paid them to do it.

Cost aside, it came out great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I laminated all the AOs, investigators, heralds, guardians and institutions from AH with 3 mil sheets and found if you don't lay the laminated bits flat ASAP you'll get some warp. After trimming everything down I did run some of them through a second time and that fixed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colin darra
Wales
LINCOLN
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you are a keen gamer, then I would recommend buying a laminator anyway. I have loads of games, and whenever I buy a new one, one of the first things I do is Scan the playaids, and then laminate the originals.

For Info, I scan the playaids as a precaution against loss. But sometimes I print out extra copies and laminate those too.

Works for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.