Battleship Galaxies: The Saturn Offensive Game Set» Forums » General

Subject: Age Range? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rune Beast

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks pretty interesting and my wife and I are looking into getting it, but I was also wondering if the game was playable by a 6 year old. My son has been playing Heroscape with me on and off since he was 4, sometimes we don't use the special rules side of the cards for that game though. Question is whether or not people feel this game is playable without the special event cards and such for him to be able to play?
Thanks for your responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runebeast wrote:
This game looks pretty interesting and my wife and I are looking into getting it, but I was also wondering if the game was playable by a 6 year old. My son has been playing Heroscape with me on and off since he was 4, sometimes we don't use the special rules side of the cards for that game though. Question is whether or not people feel this game is playable without the special event cards and such for him to be able to play?

Well, Heroscape is ages 8+, and Battleship Galaxies, featuring designers Craig van Ness, Jerry Hawthorne, and Colby Dauch, all known for their involvement with Heroscape, is 13+. And your 6 year old is not playing Heroscape, or at least, not with all the rules. So I'd guess not.

Not that I have BG...

One of our area 'Scape tournament players has been playing since he was about 6, I think. So I'd suggesting (a) promoting him to all the Heroscape rules but (b) not getting your hopes up about Battleship Galaxies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Arcoraci
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely think a 6 year old can grasp the basic rules. Although every child is different. I would first play it without the cards, start with the basic mechanics and see how that goes and then introduce the cards and more advanced rules later on. Worst case scenario, the game sits on the shelf for a couple years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleship Galaxies would be harder for a child to fully grasp than HeroScape. I have a 6 year old too, as well as 4 and 8 year olds. I wouldn't try to teach my 6 year old Battleship Galaxies. I suspect my 8 year old might have some issues with it as well.

It's not a hard game to learn; there's just a lot going on at once. But I'm sure you could still have fun using a lighter set of rules with it. Removing the Tactics Cards entirely would be a good first step to making a lighter version. I'm 100% confident my 8 year old could handle it then -- just using the ship stats, moving them around, and shooting. Maybe my 6 year old could too. After several games like that, perhaps introducing the Tactics Cards would be possible.

Also remember that your 6 year old won't be 6 for very long. So if there's a borderline game that might be too complex, just put it away for a little while. It'll be ready when your kid is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
runebeast wrote:

My 7 year old finds it simple enough to grasp and likes nothing better than beating up on his old man. I bought the game specifically with him in mind and I would say it has been worth every penny so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Filko
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a game with my 7 year old and he played a game without any problems. The only change to the rules that we made was all ships started on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Delnore
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game for Christmas and played with my five-year-old (actually he was just short of five). We played with all the rules, except we had open hands. He did not have any problems with the mechanics although I think he had trouble prioritizing use of his energy points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my 6 year old. He is fine. Just have to explain some cards sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.