11 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for total newbies for a video-tutorial recording session. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Koba
Faroe Islands
msg tools
Me and a friend of mine, who play on Vassal, have been thinking about doing a total newbie tutorial session, and recording it. A uneditied playthrough session 2 - 3 hours, where we introduce a total newbie to the ASL system.

No previous knowledge of ASL is required. In fact, we would like to find a boardgamer, with no wargaming background, to teach him the basics of ASL. Total basics: "This is a hex. This is a squad. etc. etc." This will then be recorded and posted in it's raw format to youtube or vimeo.

The reason for doing it in this raw format, is the lack of real video playthrough for beginners on the net. There are a lot of excellent primers from Steadman, which we like, but they are too short and do more of an overview of the different aspects. We want to show more real play, where the right questions get asked at the right times, by this newbie. Our thought is, that if we can teach a newbie to play a basic infantry only scenario from scratch and record it, then the ASL community would be richer in the long run, as a lot of newbies will get easy access to a real kickstart-video into the series.

I myself am a newbie compared to most ASL guys, but my friend Eoin is more proficient in the rules, and we will do our best to introduce a newbie to this game.

Prerequisite is, that the player has a good mic, as sound is important.

This will not be a very veru serious, 100% rules correct playthrough. And we'll probably make some mistakes. But still, newbies need a video where they can get easily across the first big shockwave of rules. Casual and fun.

We have no date as of when, but we are in no rush. And at the earliest it will be in 14 days or so. Probably later.

Thanx for listening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Miller
United States
Connellsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PLEASE
We just ordered our first ASL product the other day, we got ASLSK #3 because 1 and 2 were sold out. I gotta tell you it looks intimidating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
I just got ASLSK #1 and #3 and Expansion Pack #1. I've never played ASL before, but have played Panzer Leader about 20+ years ago in school. I've also played other games like Civilizations, Risk, a lot of D&D.

I'd be interested if the timing is right. I'm in the US eastern time zone.

Thanks,
Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Lago Vista
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hms_indefatigable wrote:
PLEASE
We just ordered our first ASL product the other day, we got ASLSK #3 because 1 and 2 were sold out. I gotta tell you it looks intimidating.

Once you learn how a turn plays out, the game becomes a lot easier. My suggestion is to sit down, play, and learn what the phases are. After that you can learn what your options are in each phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't let it scare you, Russell. It's *well* worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford Town
flag msg tools
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas (the OP) and I are hoping that a recording of the opening turns of a scenario will be especially beneficial for new players.

I think we both agree that ASL has a particular reputation for complexity, which is not entirely undeserved. However, we think that a recorded playthrough of the early part of a scenario would help illustrate that, in fact, ASL can be very accessible. We'll run through a couple of turns in a small scenario and show how the game is played, explaining as we go.

We would like a third voice, that of someone totally unfamiliar system, who can ask "why did you that?", "what are you doing now?" and any other questions that occur.

We intend to play the game over VASL/Skype, recording sound and vision (i.e. the game screen), so that the eventual viewer can see the moves being made and the discussion / explanation develop.

We think it could be very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a great idea. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hms_indefatigable wrote:
PLEASE

If you can, try to get SK#1. SK#3 adds a lot of additional complexity (apart from vehicles also ordnance and extra terrain). You will probably be able to get it on Ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Cannamore
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't think of a better teacher for ASL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Brezina
Czech Republic
Brno
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
that´s a great idea, please do it, as there is never enough tutorials for the newbies. good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Great idea. For novice ASL players video-tutorials help tremendously. I find it curious there are so few out there. I think once you have understood the game phases and the basic actions open to your units (covered by the present video-tutorials) there appears nothing else on the net to help you with the more complicated actions. The MMP flash animation for DFF is good but it's such a basic action that, IMO, it should have been expanded to include the variety of events that could occur (...and so be more of a meaningful learning tool).

I would love to see and group of videos or Flash animations that cover specific events like:

Gun, FT, LATW, Tank versus tank, unamoured vehicle, OT vehicle, Gun, etc

OVR

Snipers in action

FT's in action

Rout and interdiction

...and so on and so on!

I find that even when I have a rule nailed I still wonder if i'm doing it correctly. Video-tutorials affirm your understanding or expand on what you already know.

Go for it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.