Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you can build the board out of 3 cards if you're really trying to slim things down (like tuckbox size)

kurthl33t wrote:
Kyokai wrote:
I am planning all expansions to be standalone expansions (since all it takes to turn an expansion into a standalone is 12 base cards and 2 special actions) You're right that it might be better to release 4 character boxes rather than 18 character boxes.

So the expandalones will not come with a board?

palmerkun wrote:
I would think a sensible, low risk route would be
1: Track sales and uptake
2: Release a 4-6 character pocket expansion
3: Depending on how those sales go as well as demand, either do more Pockets, or release the remaining 12-14 characters in a standalone for $30

I was considering just doing another kickstarter for the second game, so that I could offer more rewards and designer characters, but maybe I should keep everything in house. Hard to decide at this point. I think the best thing is to watch the numbers, as you suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you wont need a second kicktstarter. Most reviewers had very high praises for the game. And if, the first two months should give you a pretty indication how it sells.

But you could probably consider doing a kickstart for an alternate art/premium version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Stevens
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
Well, you can build the board out of 3 cards if you're really trying to slim things down (like tuckbox size)

When you called it "Pocket", a tuckbox was what came into my mind, and I assumed the board would be a couple cards end to end (whatever you do, do NOT go with folded paper). Anything large enough for a full chipboard board is not going to be pocket sized.
If chipboard was the goal, you could make it 2-3 card sized chunks, and have them jigsaw link. That could fit in a one-card sized (albeit fat) tuckbox.

Kyokai wrote:
I was considering just doing another kickstarter for the second game, so that I could offer more rewards and designer characters, but maybe I should keep everything in house. Hard to decide at this point. I think the best thing is to watch the numbers, as you suggest.

Don't ride the KS gravy train too far. There's a moderate amount of backlash against established companies that keep using KS for everything. Mayday especially got a lot of heat for it.

It's a valid route, but there's only so many times you can use it.

If you go with a Pocket first, I'd just do that in house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:
Don't ride the KS gravy train too far. There's a moderate amount of backlash against established companies that keep using KS for everything. Mayday especially got a lot of heat for it.

It's a valid route, but there's only so many times you can use it.

If you go with a Pocket first, I'd just do that in house.

I agree, and I definitely wouldn't use it for anything I could fund in-house. Even with $15k in funding though, I'm still deep underwater on the game (mostly my fault for neglecting to factor in the high costs of shipping and for adding so many extras). The first part of the sell run will be paying back what I owe on all that, so we'll see what the demand for a second edition is and how much is on hand for it.

Also、 I really liked meeting the assisting designers, getting people involved early on in the process. One reason I am considering it is because I want to have the designer level rewards in the next game as well. Sagas, Tatsumi, and Zaamassal all made BattleCON a much better game than I originally made it.

tech7 wrote:
But you could probably consider doing a kickstart for an alternate art/premium version.

If we do a second edition it will be with alternate art (some of which you can see here on an upcoming promo). The printer has informed me that it won't cost more to change out the art for a second printing, due to the size of the run. This means that you could, theoretically, get second edition and mix them so you have all the '2nd player' costumes. It also means first edition is going to retain value (and perhaps accrue value) over the reprint. We would print new promos for second edition as well,and I doubt the first set will ever be reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! My first edition is one-of-a-kind!

Also, I really like Victoria Parker's rendition of Kallistar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Stevens
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
This means that you could, theoretically, get second edition and mix them so you have all the '2nd player' costumes.

About the only suggestion I would make for a 2nd Edition is to get ONE artist to do all the art. While the art is lovely, people have commented that the differing styles were jarring for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
Even with $15k in funding though, I'm still deep underwater on the game (mostly my fault for neglecting to factor in the high costs of shipping and for adding so many extras). The first part of the sell run will be paying back what I owe on all that, so we'll see what the demand for a second edition is and how much is on hand for it.

Okay, I thought since you doubled the goal, that the game essentially has already payed its run. Ihope that you can still make some profit.
Kyokai wrote:

tech7 wrote:

If we do a second edition it will be with alternate art (some of which you can see here on an upcoming promo). The printer has informed me that it won't cost more to change out the art for a second printing, due to the size of the run. This means that you could, theoretically, get second edition and mix them so you have all the '2nd player' costumes. It also means first edition is going to retain value (and perhaps accrue value) over the reprint. We would print new promos for second edition as well,and I doubt the first set will ever be reprinted.

Hm, nice to hear. If I like the game I would consider getting a second edition just for the secondary art.

But really, you should annopunce those things. I only found out per accident that you offered all promos and the PnP for the preorder. It was not mentioned on your site (only the one of the three deal). Such things move people to buy.

If you are already certain that you wil use new artwork for a second edition. Announce it. First, it is an incline for people who are on the fence. Second, people will get angry if a second edition happens that they can no longer obtain the original art unless it was announced early.

Kyokai wrote:

About the only suggestion I would make for a 2nd Edition is to get ONE artist to do all the art. While the art is lovely, people have commented that the differing styles were jarring for them.

I disagree. I do not like the different artwork and woul have preferred a single artist. But switiching it after the first edition would be a mistake imo. For me the different artworks are now part of the style of the game. Just ensure that the secondary artwork is done by a different artist, that way you can ensure that there should be a version of each character that you like. But the picture is damn right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Stevens
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tech7 wrote:
palmerkun wrote:

I disagree. I do not like the different artwork and woul have preferred a single artist. But switiching it after the first edition would be a mistake imo. For me the different artworks are now part of the style of the game.

A single artist can come out looking great

Well, mostly great. Heketch is too bright looking, and Seth appears to be constipated.

I do love the bored Kallistar though. Nice touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Trubitsin
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry for minor necroposting, but this thread really deserves more attention, since it has grown out of its subforum.

For me, the different styles of artwork is not that bad, maybe because I'm a MtG player, where lots of artists work on every set. Even though I may not like some pieces, others may like them more than my favorite ones. What I don't like, however, is the lack of artwork variety. If you don't count the promotional artwork and the rest of the pieces that are not printed on the cards themselves, there is exactly 1 (one) piece of artwork for every character. Of course, I wouldn't expect a Kickstarter game to find enough money for 126 different pieces of artwork, but that's the single best thing that I'd like to have in the future deluxe version of BattleCon. Even if it takes 10 years for Lvl99 to get on the same level as the big board game companies.

As a side note, I always wondered why Sagas has different glasses on his character sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
SingerOfW wrote:
As a side note, I always wondered why Sagas has different glasses on his character sleeve.

He breaks the wraparound ones at the end of the story mode. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SingerOfW wrote:

He's just SO COOL that he has multiple pairs of sunglases on hand at all times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.