Matt Rice
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Just checking;

When Voting for the Mission Team, are the Vote Cards taken and shuffled and 'secretly' revealed like the Mission Success/Fail cards?

OR does each player clearly reveal their decision in whether the Mission Team is approved or not?

Regards,

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's public, they are revealed simultaneously. Watching the voting pattern is an important part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mattriceten wrote:
Hi,

Just checking;

When Voting for the Mission Team, are the Vote Cards taken and shuffled and 'secretly' revealed like the Mission Success/Fail cards?

OR does each player clearly reveal their decision in whether the Mission Team is approved or not?

Regards,

Matt

It is clearly revealed. Everyone places them face down until all have decided and then flip them. So you know how everyone voted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be a pretty sad game without a public vote...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

We actually played it this way the first night we tried. It made it way too easy on the Resistance. We corrected our error for the next go around and it is a MUCH better game, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

We actually played it this way the first night we tried. It made it way too easy on the Resistance. We corrected our error for the next go around and it is a MUCH better game, of course.

Yes, but you can counterbalance this by allowing spies to secretly kill off members of the resistance, ala Werewolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, how does a secret vote make things easy on the Resistance? I would guess it would make things more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Wait, how does a secret vote make things easy on the Resistance? I would guess it would make things more difficult.

Forgot we played some other rules wrong too. We slaughtered it for sure so not sure which contributed more to making it too easy for the Resistance. But now that we play right, it is much more enjoyable and tense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Brígido B. Sales
Brazil
Fortaleza
Ceará
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:

You're right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
I am where I need to be when I need to be.
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb

I disagree. Secret voting for the mission team is a far superior game. We almost always play with the secret vote and the win ratio between resistance and imperial spies is about 55/45, which is how it should be. Not knowing what certain people voted or why adds much, much more tension to the game.

We of course are in a group that heavily analyzes and tries to determine voting even though it is secret. Try the game with secret mission voting... Trust me, it's more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Machiavellian wrote:

I disagree. Secret voting for the mission team is a far superior game. We almost always play with the secret vote and the win ratio between resistance and imperial spies is about 55/45, which is how it should be. Not knowing what certain people voted or why adds much, much more tension to the game.

We of course are in a group that heavily analyzes and tries to determine voting even though it is secret. Try the game with secret mission voting... Trust me, it's more fun.
So how does it work? Do you ask people to claim how they voted after the voting is revealed..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, often times we do. Or we look around the table with suspicion as to why the votes came out as they did and make accusations.

For instance, aside from the first round, if all the votes are a go for the mission... it is usually a good bet that a spy is on the team.

In a small game (5 or 6 players) if there are only two negative votes, we can usually be sure that the spies are not on this mission.

I've played with the public mission votes before and we found it just too easy to determine who the spy is. I cannot understand how the five failed mission proposals in a row could even be a possibility with open voting (that said, in my hundreds of plays with secret voting it's only happened once and that was in a nine player game)

Some have said "In a secret vote, the spies will just always vote down any non-spy team" I don't see how that could happen. Let's say there are three spies in a eight player game. The mission fails with four no votes. In most cases it's clear that the spies didn't want that mission. Make an open statement, telling the Resistance to vote for this and the mission should pass the next time. Obviously there is more paranoia and it does make things easier for the spies, but our percentage of wins is pretty even, with a slight edge to the Resistance.

If you include plot cards, I can't see how you couldn't use secret voting (except in the case of pre-select or always reveal first cards). The Resistance should win every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yes, often times we do. Or we look around the table with suspicion as to why the votes came out as they did and make accusations.
Why don't you do it EVERY time? Why just some of the time?

I'd do it every time, just to get people on record about how they voted.

Machiavellian wrote:
I've played with the public mission votes before and we found it just too easy to determine who the spy is. I cannot understand how the five failed mission proposals in a row could even be a possibility with open voting (that said, in my hundreds of plays with secret voting it's only happened once and that was in a nine player game)
I'm confused by your use of the term "failed mission proposals"... you mean "rejected"..? Even then, I'm still not sure what you mean. On the fifth proposal, it just goes, there is no vote. (A house rule that simplifies things.)

Anyway, if you play with open voting, then spies become better at voting non-obviously.

Come play a PBF game with us and see how completely misleading a public voting record can be in the hands of tricky spies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I do mean Rejected mission proposals.

I do not see why on the fifth proposal (Ie, the first four were rejected and the leader position has moved to a five times) you just assume it passes. Isn't that removing a chance for the spies to win? Granted, even with our secret voting it almost never happens (only happened with new players, and even then, only once).

I do understand sneaky public voting, but even 'sneaky' public voting is less beneficial to a spy then secret voting. They can still be sneaky then as well.

I can see some spy strategies that are eliminated with the removal of open voting - For instance, a spy can't propose a team he wants to get rejected and vote against it. With open voting, there would never be a reason to vote against your own proposal.

As for why I don't ask what people voted every time, sometimes it is unnecessary. Sometimes we just 'know' or it doesn't matter.

I will give PBF a try. Name a time and place. (Though I imagine it does eliminate the reading faces/finding tells element of the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Machiavellian wrote:
I do not see why on the fifth proposal (Ie, the first four were rejected and the leader position has moved to a five times) you just assume it passes. Isn't that removing a chance for the spies to win? Granted, even with our secret voting it almost never happens (only happened with new players, and even then, only once).

Why would a rebel ever vote no to Mx.5?

Also, I would expect with blind votes, during Mx.5 you would have all the spies throw fail and all the rebels though yes.

But either way, it would never pass. Mx.5 is only a mechanic that spies could win in during a game with plot cards. Never otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened once, with new players, in a eight or nine player game. I believe (this was a while ago) that the proposals kept changing and there was a good deal of mistrust going on. A spy became leader on the last vote and put up a team that some were rather sure would fail. The spies already had two mission successes. The rebellion members who voted rejection should have voted YES to the mission proposal regardless, but I seem to remember they decided they would rather have the rebellion fall apart due to indecision and mistrust, then be sabotaged.

I can see why it is house ruled an automatic pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Machiavellian wrote:
I will give PBF a try. Name a time and place. (Though I imagine it does eliminate the reading faces/finding tells element of the game)
Awesome! Sign up for the next game here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11865722#11865722

Watch a game that just started yesterday here: PBF37.v2 7P with Inquisitor (#37 rematch) Spies Win 1-3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
cute thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Machiavellian wrote:

What you said. Makes it a much more interesting game,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
How can less information make the game more interesting.
If they're not accountable for the way they vote, the spies can run amok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More detective work is required by the Resistance. Please keep in mind I have only ever played this face-to-face. You can pick up a lot about whether someone is a spy or a member of the resistance by what they say (or don't say) who they select for a mission, etc etc.

What is the win percentage for Imperial spies with public voting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
In Vanilla Resistance PBF games with public votes, spies are heavily favored to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Machiavellian wrote:
Awesome! Sign up for the next game here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11865722#11865722

Watch a game that just started yesterday here: PBF37.v2 7P with Inquisitor (#37 rematch) Spies Win 1-3

Watch your free time go away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
In Vanilla Resistance PBF games with public votes, spies are heavily favored to win.

This is my concern. Does secret voting give an advantage to the rebels? I couldn't imagine it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

This is my concern. Does secret voting give an advantage to the rebels? I couldn't imagine it.
I guess you maybe might catch a spy lying about how they voted.

Let's say you vote yes and results are one yes and six nos. You claim you voted no and another player claims they voted yes.

But then of course this assumes spies are stupid and lie about their votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.