Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

San Juan» Forums » General

Subject: 1st play with expansion buildings - wow Gold thingie is super-strong! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it costs 5, but the one player who got one gained at least 10 cards (!) from it over the course of our 4-player game last night. Yikes. He ended with a score of 30 just in base buildings, before any bonus scoring (Harbor, 6-cost buildings) and killed us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
I know it costs 5, but the one player who got one gained at least 10 cards (!) from it over the course of our 4-player game last night. Yikes. He ended with a score of 30 just in base buildings, before any bonus scoring (Harbor, 6-cost buildings) and killed us.

It's less swingy than the Gold Mine, but still swingy all the same.... I've seen people use the Goldsmith early on, and strike out 3 times before finally getting his free card. 1st time was Coffee Roaster which he himself already built, 2nd time, an Indigo Plant which everyone already had built, and a 3rd time, it was a Carpenter.

I think if nothing else, it's another 5/3 (5 cost/3 VP) building that gives a bit of boost to the City Hall (Library used to be the only violet 5/3, but now, you can build another high VP building and still get your +1 from the City Hall), and helps the Residence to score more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Building the Harbour early is super strong aswell, and so is the Library, and the Prefecture combined with the Customs Office, and a lot of other cards, and combinations of cards.

There is a counter strategy to most of the cards, so just learn how to work around a given card instead of trying to fix the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
Building the Harbour early is super strong aswell, and so is the Library, and the Prefecture combined with the Customs Office, and a lot of other cards, and combinations of cards.

There is a counter strategy to most of the cards, so just learn how to work around a given card instead of trying to fix the card.

Whoa, whoa there fella. I never said I wanted to fix it! Was just commenting on how well it worked in the one game I played. I'm not the kind of guy to tinker with stuff after playing it once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.