Popular Tags: [View All]
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice that Mayfair has no news about this, and licensing is different depending on what country/area you are marketing to. So, is it a safe assumption (at this time, anyway) that a US/English edition is either not going to happen or a long way off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D'Andrea
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If so I assume a very small crib sheet would solve any problems. It is Catan after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke McCarthy
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
If so I assume a very small crib sheet would solve any problems. It is Catan after all.

Well the real problem would be distribution. There's really no language dependency once you know how to play. The only catch would be avoiding spending money on overseas shipping/finding a retailer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
ptdnet wrote:
There are so many Trekkers here in the US, I can't imagine it not being sold.

Umm... I think you meant to say Trekkies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How many "could" sell is not necessarily relevant. It's all about the cost of the licensing fee and if there is a worthwhile ROI. And if Mayfair wants to bother with the hassle of licensing Star Trek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among some "Trekkie" is considered disparaging and "Trekker" is the preferred term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
bryanwinter wrote:
How many "could" sell is not necessarily relevant. It's all about the cost of the licensing fee and if there is a worthwhile ROI. And if Mayfair wants to bother with the h[]assle of licensing

Especially since another company already owns the board game publishing rights for Star Trek, so they'd have to be included in the deal as wel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Gillett
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KalKraken wrote:
Among some "Trekkie" is considered disparaging and "Trekker" is the preferred term.

Amongst others the opposite is true. As for myself, I prefer "tlhIgan".

As for me, I tentatively await the original tlhIgan Hol edition (which obviously will replace the weakling rules for "trade" with the fully restored Combat Results Tables).

}):-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
bryanwinter wrote:
How many "could" sell is not necessarily relevant. It's all about the cost of the licensing fee and if there is a worthwhile ROI. And if Mayfair wants to bother with the h[]assle of licensing

Especially since another company already owns the board game publishing rights for Star Trek, so they'd have to be included in the deal as wel

Compounded by *which* Star Trek license!

Trekkies like Kirk. Trekkers like Picard. Everyone else likes to get out of the basement and go outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Santoni
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Be cool if they can get this into an english release of some sort at least that we can import. Trek has always had it's biggest audience in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Parker
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I asked Mayfair Games on their Facebook page if this is getting a US release or not, and their response is "It's currently in process." which I think means Yes.

http://www.facebook.com/mayfairgames My post asking about it is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chapman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinobiwan wrote:
So I asked Mayfair Games on their Facebook page if this is getting a US release or not, and their response is "It's currently in process." which I think means Yes.

You might think "Yes" but if Mayfair says "It's currently in process," then it's currently in process. Contracts, especially licensing contracts, are rarely as simple as "sign here and here and here," and they're certainly never a sure thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McGill
United States
Laconia
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
As featured in Eminent Domain!
mbmbmb
Like KOSMOS is going to permit the largest Star Trek market in the world go without a distributorship. It may not be Mayfair (and honestly I'm not really a fan of them anyhow) but someone will be getting it unless they just don't want to make more money. And we all know how allergic to money companies are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. We're 13 replies into this thread and I'm ashamed of all you for not getting here first....

You've not experienced Catan until you've played it in the original Klingon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You've not experienced Catan until you've played it in the original Klingon.

Klingon, German, there's no difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.