Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those who go, know what a great event this is. It happens once a year and is a great laugh for everyone who attends. There are people who travel from all over the country for this event. It is not just a place to buy and sell second hand games, but a boardgame event.

The annual board game auction for the Manchester Boardgames group will take place on Saturday March 10th at 11.30am. It takes place at Romily scout hut. The post code is SK6 3AN for everyone using Satnav.

There are certain things to be aware of regarding the auction.

If you intend to sell games, please be aware that you are allowed a maximum of 12 lots. You can sell multiple games as one lot (please band them together). If you want to sell, you need to be at the Scout hut for 10.30pm, in order to fill out the relevant paperwork, which is not much, but is time consuming for the people working on the finance desk. If you arrive at 11.25am with a dozen games to sell, you may well be told that you are too late to sell depending on how busy we are, so please get there with enough time to prepare the stuff to sell.

If you only intend to buy, you can arrive at any time and get a number, as there is far less paperwork involved if you are only buying. But again, if you get there before the auction starts you can have a look at the games that are about to be sold. There are usually about 450 lots.

Please note that the comission for the auction is 10%. The comission is charged to the seller (so if you win a game at £15, you pay £15), the seller pays the 10%. Of the comission charge, a portion of this goes to charity.

This truly is a great day out, and it is a good way to sell games you no longer want or pick up a bargain or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Sidcup
Kent
flag msg tools
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Manchester Board Games Auction Saturday March 10th 2011
I;m assuming that there is no way to make online or telephone bids...? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you have to be there in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste James
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu,

I would love to attend this but Saturdays are really busy - can you give me an idea what you mean by "its not just a place to buy and sell boardgames but a boardgame event". Is this an allday event where you buy/sell games and then play them ? What time does it finish normally ?

Ste
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The auction lasts all day, until about 5.30pm. We sell about 450 lots usually, depends on what turns up on the day. If you have not been before it is well worth a trip. Its a chance to sell some of your games that you don't play anymore.

It is mainly a place to buy and sell games, but people do come from far away (london etc) and it is a good chance to catch up with people. The two people who auction the games off are really funny and we really should sell admission tickets just to see them at work!! It should get more recognition than it does. One of the highlights of the boardgame calendar in my eyes.

There is no time unfortunately to play them afterwards, and the people who help this happen (there is about 10 in total) are all pretty tired at the end of it and want to have food and beer!!

All being well me and Jen will be at the all dayer next month so can chat more about it then if you need any more information. Pass the word on to the liverpool lion lot, see if they fancy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste James
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wassall
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Manchester Board Games Auction ?
Any plans for this happening in 2012?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PirateJock wrote:
Any plans for this happening in 2012?

Cheers

Mike this is definitely going ahead in 2012... I think the subject line is incorrect, as all these posts are Jan 2012...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Andy, a big oops from me there!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
darkskies wrote:

Stu.. you can edit your original post, and change the subject line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wassall
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:

Mike this is definitely going ahead in 2012... I think the subject line is incorrect, as all these posts are Jan 2012...

Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply ... and should have spotted the posts were all from this year.

Sounds a good day - will need to try and get a pass out for the day ... only 40 minutes away

Cheers

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
darkskies wrote:

Stu.. you can edit your original post, and change the subject line.

Thanks again Andy. I was wondering how I went about changing the heading, missed the edit bit at the bottom of my original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCourty
United Kingdom
Altrincham
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very interesting... that's one for the calendar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only just over a week away now. Can't wait for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KT
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, just found this page.

Not sure if I'll attend this as its a couple of hours drive away for me, but I have a couple of questions, please.

Where is the scout hall? On google maps / street view the place listed as a scout hall looks just like a semi detached house, can anyone tell me exactly where it is?
The second is linked to the first. How's the parking situation there?

Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Scout hut is by the side of the canal, and access to it is from Green Lane....

Here's a screen cap from google maps, showing the entrance down a dirt track on the right (where the oval highlight is) and Aldi on the left.

There's very little parking in the grounds of the scout hut, but there is some parking along Green lane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Bowen

Hebden Bridge
W Yorks
msg tools
Parking is not too good. If you get there before 11.00 it should be fine. At the end of the day you may have to wait while other cars squeeze out. There are spaces on the nearby side roads or you can get a train to Romiley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Walter
United Kingdom
Warrington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is no entry fee? I can pop in to check out what games are up for auction and stay if anything tickles my fancy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BigAds wrote:
So there is no entry fee? I can pop in to check out what games are up for auction and stay if anything tickles my fancy?
If I remember correctly there is no entry fee.. and all the 'lots' will be on display around the room, so you could come along, take a look and then leave if you wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't believe this event is just around the corner from where I live! I'll be there. Is it any type of boardgame, or just the Euro/Hard core games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sanderson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
Can one sell two games in ONE 'package'?
e.g. Pueto Rico and Civilisation
Just a way of getting rid of two not-so-popular games, without exceeding the 12 game limit - to whoever may want them.
Better than just binning them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no entry fee. 10% of the selling price is taken by the venue from the seller.

You can band up games together and sell them as one lot, this happens quite a bit. I will be doing this myself.

There are all different types of games on offer. From the mainstream stuff like Monopoloy (which does not get many bids, funny that), to war games to euros from essen last year to classic games as well as card games. Can't predict what will turn up on the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BigAds wrote:

Absolutely, but you cannot settle up until the end of the auction, so once you are in, you are in for the duration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Walter
United Kingdom
Warrington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know roughly how long it will last for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Walter
United Kingdom
Warrington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul1943 wrote:
Can one sell two games in ONE 'package'?
e.g. Pueto Rico and Civilisation
Just a way of getting rid of two not-so-popular games, without exceeding the 12 game limit - to whoever may want them.
Better than just binning them?

Seems that way according to the 1st post...

darkskies wrote:
You can sell multiple games as one lot (please band them together).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.