Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, for Christmas I got Black Goat of the Woods, King in Yellow, and Dunwich Horror, all being my first AH expansions! I was wondering about the monsters: How do you separate them from the base game monsters after the game is over, or do you do that at all? The cards have markings, but the monsters don't!

The monsters in King in Yellow are marked with a hexagon so I can find those, but should I be writing down the names of the others in prep for end game?

I was thinking that if I ever wanted to exclude an expansion the extra monsters in the cup would change the base game's difficulty by making harder monsters easier to draw, cause there's now more of them thanks to the expansion!

What does everyone else do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSumOne wrote:
Hey, for Christmas I got Black Goat of the Woods, King in Yellow, and Dunwich Horror, all being my first AH expansions! I was wondering about the monsters: How do you separate them from the base game monsters after the game is over, or do you do that at all? The cards have markings, but the monsters don't!

The monsters in King in Yellow are marked with a hexagon so I can find those, but should I be writing down the names of the others in prep for end game?

I was thinking that if I ever wanted to exclude an expansion the extra monsters in the cup would change the base game's difficulty by making harder monsters easier to draw, cause there's now more of them thanks to the expansion!

What does everyone else do?
I don't think that there is a consensus here. Many just leave all the Monsters from the all the expansions in the Cup (well, bag) but others use coloured marker pen to colour the edges of the Monster tile so that they can be separated after the game.

Although I'm an "all in" kind of person when it comes to Monsters, I do have some sympathy with those who separate for thematic reasons. For instance, it's a little wierd when Arkham gets overrun by Deep Ones from Innsmouth.

To take the discussion further, some folk use separate Monster cups for the expansion boards. Again, I have some sympathy with this approach too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Cuba
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group plays All Monsters In, All The Time. Yes, even all the extra Dark Young from Black Goat... We find this works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Elfving
Denmark
Randers NØ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to separate my monsters, but for time reasons I have them all togeather.

Other part (cards) I have seperated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a list of which monsters belong in which expansion. I copied it from a friend; but, there might be a file around here somewhere.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T.
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing with all monsters in, but thinking of going back to just the base monsters + whatever expansion(s) I'm using in the game.
The last couple games with Kingsport have barely seen any aquatic monsters. Flyers also seem to hardly make an appearance.

I'll probably do the marker down the spine method of keeping them separate.

Here's a file link with a monster list:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/47392/arkham-monster-l...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea with the marking the borders. I guess I'll have to go out and buy some coloured sharpies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NthPower wrote:
I've been playing with all monsters in, but thinking of going back to just the base monsters + whatever expansion(s) I'm using in the game.
The last couple games with Kingsport have barely seen any aquatic monsters. Flyers also seem to hardly make an appearance.

I'll probably do the marker down the spine method of keeping them separate.

Here's a file link with a monster list:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/47392/arkham-monster-l...

Oh no! Not only Mythos and Gate Card dilution, but Monster dilution too! You make a fair point here; it's important in a thematic game to maintain theme. Or it is to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSumOne wrote:
Good idea with the marking the borders. I guess I'll have to go out and buy some coloured sharpies.
I take no credit for the idea, it came from one of the forum's Elders (can't remember which). I merely pass on the tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tazbro
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just color code the sides.
makes it easy to sort out when you stack them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cowley
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all the expansions, and it's fun to play with all of them for big games of 6-8 people, but sometimes you want to play with a more themed pool of monsters - say focused on the deep ones for Innsmouth, or undead and mobs for the Pharaoh . As you rack up many games you will find you want to customise the challenge depending on your group.

What i've done is taken a photo of the monsters for each expansion on my phone (iphone), it makes it surprisingly easy to pull out the monsters for a given expansion to include or exclude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am correct, there are 133 monsters in the cup, all expansions included.
So when we play a certain GOO which have certain worshippers we usually don't see any of them... and that's a shame.

So, in my games I use a simple rule :
Worshippers are put on the GOO sheet. When a monster surge occurs or when a burst opens a gate, the first monster to draw is from the GOO.

You can choose to make them spawn, so they return to the sheet when beaten.

Also I give worshippers to Cthulhu (deep ones) and to Yig (Serpent People).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to separate them out after every game, but by the time Innsmouth came out, I was tired of that. So I made up some basic Cup rules, and figured out a storage solution.

1) No more than 3 copies of any chit.
1a) ...except for all Cultists, Deep Ones and Hybrids, Goat Spawns, and Leng Spiders.

2) If a Worshipper of the Ancient One in play has a 4th chit as well, throw it in.
2a) Never use the 3 Dark Young from Black Goat, unless using the Hexagon Cup (which is still mostly never).

3) If Rhan-Tegoth is the Ancient One, I set the Gnoph-Keh on his sheet and throw 3 Beings of Ib in the Cup as Proxy Gnoph-Keh Clones.

All Cup monsters fit in 8 stacks (4 each in two origami boxes) for easy storage and dumping. All Spawns (and other excess) fit in the "dice slot" in the Kingsport plastic insert. (The Black Goat Dark Young are used to divide the two stacks of big cards in the Black Goat box.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the cups I currently use:

* Innsmouth Cup: All the orange-bordered monsters. All monsters appearing in Innmsouth are drawn from this cup.

* Nyarlathotep Cup: All Masks and purple-bordered monsters. When a gate surge occurs, draw the first monster from this cup.

* Black Goat Cup: All hex monsters (sorta).

I set up these cups ahead of time and do not return the monsters to the main cup if I'm not using the expansion. Personally, since I'm familiar with the Mythos, I put back in the main monster cup the non-Black Goat monsters (eg. Ghouls) so some hexagon monsters may appear in the main game.

I'd like to make more thematic cups (eg. a Dreamlands cup for the Dreamlands AOs), but any cups that require me to sort out monsters by name is too much work. Of course, if FFG makes a Dreamlands expansion, I'll reconsider that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.