Dominion» Forums » News

Subject: Three New Expansions Announced! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
This just in from Rio Grande Games' website:

Quote:
For Dominion, we still plan to release a digital version early this year. We are also planning to release a set of all base cards (treasure, victory, and curse) that players can use to replace used cards from the base game or Dominion: Intrigue, or to use with the expansions that do not include these base cards. The planned release for this product is March, 2012. We have changed the schedule a bit and will release the large expansion Dominion: Dark Ages at Gencon to accompany the Dominion World Masters Tournament that will be held there. The expansion previously announced for the spring: Dominion: the Guilds will be released in the spring of 2013.

Looks like things have been changed around a bit by the addition of something new. To summarize this announcement, here's the new expansions and their expected release dates:
Dominion (Digital Release) – First Quarter 2012
• Dominion: Base Cards (Small Expansion) — March 2012
Dominion: Dark Ages (Large Expansion) – August 2012 at GenCon
Dominion: Guilds (Small Expansion) – Late Spring 2013

Honestly, I'm very happy that they are finally releasing a base game set which players can "use with the expansions that do not include these base cards." That is a much-needed expansion to the game. What I don't like is that they have pushed back the last expansion to 2013 and switched the large and the small expansion. Donald X. has been saying for years that the entire series would be done by 2012 but now it seems otherwise. The release of the base game expansion does mean, however, that Dark Ages will almost definitely not be a base game expansion.

Anyway, onto an exciting 2012 with Dominion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Laurinburg
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mb
Whaleyland wrote:
Honestly, I'm very happy that they are finally releasing a base game set which players can "use with the expansions that do not include these base cards." That is a much-needed expansion to the game.

... but this is what I don't understand.

Why can't you just use those cards from the base games with available expansions....

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post. I'm excited about the news.

In particular, it's good to hear something more about the official digital version of Dominion which I cannot wait to own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Whaleyland wrote:
Honestly, I'm very happy that they are finally releasing a base game set which players can "use with the expansions that do not include these base cards." That is a much-needed expansion to the game.

Why can't you just use those cards from the base games with available expansions....

-DK

I think the thinking is someone who really likes Hinterlands and Seaside could just buy those two expansions and then buy the treasure/victory cards expansion and not have to buy a base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Whaleyland wrote:

-DK
You can. But this implies that you could just start with, say, Seaside or Prosperity, plus these base cards, and never own the base game or Intrigue. I agree that such an emphasis seems strange - the real use is likely to be just as much about replacing cards that are worn out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Which potentially makes all the large expansions hypothetical base games. The original Dominion and Intrigue games will no longer be required to enjoy Dominion. Of course, the cost of buying an expansion and the base cards would still be much higher than just buying Dominion or Intrigue. I'd guess around $20 more, considering it will be around a 200 card expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
This just in from Rio Grande Games' website:
Looks like things have been changed around a bit by the addition of something new. To summarize this announcement, here's the new expansions and their expected release dates:
Dominion (Digital Release) – First Quarter 2012
• Dominion: Base Cards (Small Expansion) — March 2012
Dominion: Dark Ages (Large Expansion) – August 2012 at GenCon
Dominion: Guilds (Small Expansion) – Late Spring 2013

I still count this as 2 expansions. A set of base cards doesn't "expand" the game, really. It's just replacement parts. I understand you can now only buy Prosperity and these cards, for example. But the overall game of Dominion has not expanded one bit.
Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Laurinburg
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
DKahnt wrote:
Whaleyland wrote:

-DK
You can. But this implies that you could just start with, say, Seaside or Prosperity, plus these base cards, and never own the base game or Intrigue. I agree that such an emphasis seems strange - the real use is likely to be just as much about replacing cards that are worn out.

That's what I figured... but to buy a "small expansion" for say $20 isn't worth it when you can buy the base game (and more than double the cards) for less than $40. Pricing wise it's cheaper to buy vanilla Dominion.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there any confirmation that these will be the last two expansions, as wished by Don X? I sure hope so, because my box has about room for that, but then that's it. Anything after that and I'll probably need to switch to a crate and have a donkey to haul it around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to the digital release!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so, you can't actually play a game with the Base Cards (well, you could, but it would be incredibly boring and Big Money would be the only strategy)

But you can play a game with Base Cards+Expansion X.

So, does this mean Base Cards+Expansion X (and Y, and Z) are going to appear in the rankings? zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald X. said after the release of Hinterlands that he only had two expansions left (a large and a small) and that any expansion after that would only come out after a long gap. He stated that he wants to focus on other games and on Dominion spin-offs that use the same mechanics but with different themes. I don't remember where specifically he stated that, but I remember reading it not that long ago.

Philip Thomas wrote:
Ok, so, you can't actually play a game with the Base Cards (well, you could, but it would be incredibly boring and Big Money would be the only strategy)

So, does this mean Base Cards+Expansion X (and Y, and Z) are going to appear in the rankings? zombie

That's what I was wondering! It potentially makes all the expansions stand-alone-ish. Oh, and in your equation, Expansion X = A large expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
Is there any confirmation that these will be the last two expansions, as wished by Don X? I sure hope so, because my box has about room for that, but then that's it. Anything after that and I'll probably need to switch to a crate and have a donkey to haul it around.

No one has ever guaranteed that there won't be more, but it won't be anytime soon, if ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

No, you cannot play a game with the Base Cards only. A game of Dominion requires 10 Kingdom Cards as part of the supply (or 11 with Young Witch). With only the base cards, you are unable to fulfill that requirement so it would no longer be considered a game of Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:

That's what I was wondering! It potentially makes all the expansions stand-alone-ish. Oh, and in your equation, Expansion X = A large expansion.

Why does Expansion X have to be a large expansion? You could play with the base cards and Alchemy, although University would be almost worthless and Philosopher's Stone would frequently be worth no more than $1 and often $0. And you could easily play with base cards and Cornucopia, although picking 10 random cards out of 13 would get rather stale after a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:

No one has ever guaranteed that there won't be more, but it won't be anytime soon, if ever.

Treasure Chest with a few cards using a different mechanic/theme from each expansion. Please, please, please!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Some additional information:

- The base cards product has full-card art on all cards. So Copper with art, etc. It includes the base cards that aren't in the main set - Platinum, Colony, Potion. So this product can be used to replace worn cards, to let you play with an expansion without having the main set or Intrigue, to let you play with 5-6 players without having both the main set and Intrigue, and also you might want it if you think you'd prefer the base cards with art.

- Dark Ages is 500 cards but is not a standalone. You are only getting one expansion this year, but it's a big one. Those of you planning complete storage systems, this is the earliest I could tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Dark Ages is 500 cards but is not a standalone. You are only getting one expansion this year, but it's a big one.

laughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaugh
500 cards in a non-base set expansion?! That's freaking incredible. That's bigger than a large and small expansion combined! I assume there will be some strange new aspects to this expansion and very few, if any, tokens or cardboard. I guess I will DEFINITELY have to get that third 800-card box now.

Also, Donald, is there an official name for the base game set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:

No, you cannot play a game with the Base Cards only. A game of Dominion requires 10 Kingdom Cards as part of the supply (or 11 with Young Witch). With only the base cards, you are unable to fulfill that requirement so it would no longer be considered a game of Dominion.

Did I say that the game you could play would be Dominion? Did I? sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

- The base cards product has full-card art on all cards. So Copper with art, etc. It includes the base cards that aren't in the main set - Platinum, Colony, Potion. So this product can be used to replace worn cards, to let you play with an expansion without having the main set or Intrigue, to let you play with 5-6 players without having both the main set and Intrigue, and also you might want it if you think you'd prefer the base cards with art.

Can someone explain what the underlined part means? Will these new base cards have different art on them than the cards that come in my original Dominion box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
The Broox wrote:
donaldx wrote:

Can someone explain what the underlined part means? Will these new base cards have different art on them than the cards that come in my original Dominion box?

Yes, they have art. The Copper does not have a big coin with a one on it. It has a unique graphic. And so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

Not unless one of these expansions includes a catapult that allows you to fling your cards/VP chips/whatever at your opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
When Dominion gets its online release, I assume that means Isotropic will be taken down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
When Dominion gets its online release, I assume that means Isotropic will be taken down?

That seems reasonable to expect. If so, I hope there's some way to migrate my stats over. The pie-in-the-sky wish would be for the digital version to actually be isotropic, only with a nice graphical interface and presumably costing money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.