Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: So what do I need to play this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Tom Halliday
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

I really want to get into ASL, but am finding the sheer amount of content available a little daunting. As far as I can tell, I need the rulebook (obviously) and then Beyond Valor right?

What a really want to play is the North African stuff, but would that cost a lot, or can I just buy one of the modules straight off?

I do own a copy of Squad Leader 4th Edition, and so would any of the components from that be useful?

And finally, how does ASL play with more than two players? It isn't a deal breaker, but it would be cool to play this with some mates if possible.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the North African stuff is OOP. But you could probably buy it on e bay for outragous prices.

I have never heard of ASL with more than two players, but I might be wrong.

Suggest you start with BV and RB. Enough for years of playing.

Hope this helps.

-Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to try starting with one of the Starter Kits instead of going full bore in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THalliday wrote:
I really want to get into ASL, but am finding the sheer amount of content available a little daunting. As far as I can tell, I need the rulebook (obviously) and then Beyond Valor right?

That is everything you need to play. The rest of the requirements are based on the scenarios you wish to play.

Quote:
What a really want to play is the North African stuff, but would that cost a lot, or can I just buy one of the modules straight off?

You need to buy West of Alamein and Hollow Legions. Both out of print.

Quote:
I do own a copy of Squad Leader 4th Edition, and so would any of the components from that be useful?

The boards are useful to have. My only regret is getting rid of the panzerfausts.

Quote:
And finally, how does ASL play with more than two players? It isn't a deal breaker, but it would be cool to play this with some mates if possible.

Thanks in advance.

There are several scenarios that play well with teams. Most do not though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Halliday
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks guys.

Yeah I was thinking of going for a starter kit, but I don't really want to have to buy all of those and then the proper rule book just to know the whole game.

Also, how do the HASL modules work? Is it lots of individual scenarios and a big campaign scenario, or do the scenarios link together into a campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Monson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THalliday wrote:
Thanks guys.

Yeah I was thinking of going for a starter kit, but I don't really want to have to buy all of those and then the proper rule book just to know the whole game.

Also, how do the HASL modules work? Is it lots of individual scenarios and a big campaign scenario, or do the scenarios link together into a campaign?
If you buy Starter Kit 3 that is all you need as it includes 1 & 2, I would definitely recommend doing that before going full ASL just for the $$$ factor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
2015: The year of the wargame!!!
badge
Again with the negative waves!
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the HASL. All of them have scenarios. Most have campaign games. Some have 2, 3 or more campaign games in each module. I would recommend the Starter Kits as well before you go whole hog, then get the big book and Beyond Valor. If after all of this and you want more, go for Pegasus Bridge as a first HASL, unfortunately most HASL's are out of print so I would grab Pegasus Bridge asap before the price gets too wacky.

There is also a starter kit style HASL in the works but I am not sure where they are with that yet.

Short answer to your title: Yes, you should play this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And finally, how does ASL play with more than two players?

Well I don't know, but I do know of one 3-PLAYER scenario. It's called Balkan Ballet, features Yugoslav Partisans, Italians and Hungarians. It is available at http://www.advancedsquadleader.net/images/4/4a/CX3Winter00.p...
Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you buy Starter Kit 3 that is all you need as it includes 1 & 2, I would definitely recommend doing that before going full ASL just for the $$$ factor!

This is not strictly true. The rules in SK3 cover everything that appears in SK1 and SK2 (but not vice versa). However, the troops and situations are distinct in each of the three releases, so the rules are the only overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edelrio wrote:
Quote:

Well I don't know, but I do know of one 3-PLAYER scenario. It's called Balkan Ballet, features Yugoslav Partisans, Italians and Hungarians. It is available at http://www.advancedsquadleader.net/images/4/4a/CX3Winter00.p...
Enjoy!

There is also a 3 player scenario in Le Franc Tireur From the Cellar: Pack 4 from the Russian Civil War.

I would go the Starter Kit (SK) route (indeed that is what I did having not played the old Squad Leader system since the 1980s or so). As Starter Kit #1 is out of print and you have some knowledge of SL I would get the Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1. This has a good and comprehensive rulebook for SKs 1-3 and is self-contained.

I wrote about my experiences going to SK route here:
http://aslexplorations.blogspot.com/2011/10/beginning-asl-wi...

I also recently got hold of Hollow Legions: ASL Module 7 and West of Alamein: ASL Module 5 to play desert scenarios. They cost me about $75 each (but I think I was lucky to get them at those prices).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford Town
flag msg tools
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed - I think that ebay prices for OOP ASL modules can often be quite reasonable. I bought West of Alamein (which, with Hollow legions contains 100% of the North Africa rules and components) quite recently for about $100 (punched, but in good condition). A new module costs a little less than $100.

Obviously, some modules and HASLs sell for hight prices (Kampfgruppe Pieper etc.) but most of us can live without these of we don't already have them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edelrio wrote:
Quote:

Enjoy!

That looks like a true 3 player scenario that works. Thanks for the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
My big question is - do you have an ASL mentor who will walk you through your first couple of scenarios? If so, I'd go straight to full ASL. If not, then I guess it depends on your comfort level with complex wargames. Many of us taught ourselves full ASL back in the day, but I think I can safely say that errors in play were made. But it can be done, and you will have fun. At least I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Emery
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A heresy, I know, but if you're looking for squad-level fighting in the desert in WWII I might suggest you pick up Advanced Tobruk. Everything you need in one box and no tracking down expensive, OOP modules on the eBay. If you and your friends aren't already 'invested' in a system, and you just wanna push panzers around in the desert it's a good game to look into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Monson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Quote:

This is not strictly true. The rules in SK3 cover everything that appears in SK1 and SK2 (but not vice versa). However, the troops and situations are distinct in each of the three releases, so the rules are the only overlap.

True, I should have been more specific, but given the OP asking about rules, I thought it was clear enough. Each SK comes with its own scenarios and units. SK 1 infantry and support weapons, SK 2 Guns, and SK3 vehicles. each one builds on the previous one adding in more, But really the only thing you miss out on buying just SK 3 is the scenarios from the other 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Another route is to buy the ASL rules and the Paratrooper: ASL Module 2 module. The paratrooper module has (mostly) counters for German and American infantry and support weapons, along with info markers (prep fire, pinned, etc.), and 8 scenarios which use the one map board that comes with Paratrooper and the 4 boards in Squad Leader (which you already have).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
word_virus wrote:
A heresy, I know, but if you're looking for squad-level fighting in the desert in WWII I might suggest you pick up Advanced Tobruk. Everything you need in one box and no tracking down expensive, OOP modules on the eBay. If you and your friends aren't already 'invested' in a system, and you just wanna push panzers around in the desert it's a good game to look into.

YES! I agree 100%!!!

Or if you do not like it, try these most excellent alternatives:

Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles

Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes

Less dice to roll, less rules to learn. At least as fun, and IMHO probably better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the starter kits . They are a lot of fun and they have some great scenarios too. Once you get the infantry down pat then the SKs introduce guns in SK2. Then after that SK3 adds vehicles

The counters used in the SKs are fully compatible with full-ASL so they can be used later on until you get the required modules.

The crappy part about ASL is that you'll play a game and afterwards you will go. "that was awesome!". Then you will try to acquire as much as possible ( hunting down the stuff can be quite a fun hobby in itself!)

I believe one of the third party publishers has a "cheat sheet" for the desert rules. I will try and find the link when I get on my pc. I'm on my iPhone presently

If you have someone to play with you are already ahead of the game. Just buy a product and ask questions here on BGG I am sure you will get an answer pretty fast!

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Money, time and patience...

Mostly money
It's an investment in many ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here is the sheet with a brief overview of the Desert Rules

http://texas-asl.com/download/vernacular_chapter_f.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stophle wrote:
Money, time and patience...

Mostly money
It's an investment in many ways.

Or try this, free and it made me quit ASL for good:

http://worthplaying.com/article/2004/7/1/news/17821/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Halliday
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
OK, so I'm thinking that I'll grab SK3 and SKEP if I can find them anywhere, and then might try and pick up the proper rule book cheaply somewhere then.

Quote:
If you have someone to play with you are already ahead of the game.

Yeah thankfully I do. My dad player the old Squad Leader (the copy that I own) and I have some friends who I'm sure would be up for giving it a go (hence the questions on multiple players).

Thanks for all your help guys, its definitely helped.

Oh, and is £45 for Beyond Valor a decent price for a 2nd hand copy? Thinking of getting it now if it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom

getting SK3 first is a bad idea I'd suggest going to SK1 first , it only has 8 pages of rules i think ( Im not sure if the game is available however ...)

re 45 quid for BV, it depends if its the 3rd edition with all the goodies or the original version with only 4 maps.

Take a look here at the 3 different versions available

http://www.desperationmorale.com/worldofasl/worldofficial1.h...

( if its version 2 with red barricades, then its definitely a bargain!)

Re: multiple players, there are a few MP scenarios, but there is nothing saying you cant split up forces on the same side
IE: you control infantry and your dad vehicles vs an opposing player type of thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Halliday
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
dude163 wrote:
Tom

getting SK3 first is a bad idea I'd suggest going to SK1 first , it only has 8 pages of rules i think ( Im not sure if the game is available however ...)

I can find SK1 for £20, which seems reasonable, but SK2 appears to have disappeared off of the face of the Earth.

dude163 wrote:

re 45 quid for BV, it depends if its the 3rd edition with all the goodies or the original version with only 4 maps.

Cheers for the link, turns out it was the Avalon Hill version, and thus the original print. Probably won't bother with that then.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We play three or four player ASL all the time. Many if not most scenarios break down well for that number.

Although SK 1 is simpler, SK 3 or even the SK expansion pack. Otherwise BV is needed for the Germans. 45 quid is pretty good value for the BV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.