Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been requested a number of times, so we've pulled the trigger and added some new options for the Wargames family:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forums/family/4664/wargames

General will remain the main face of the Wargames subdomain to focus on talking about specific wargames and wargaming in general.

Historical Context is for discussing history, current events, and news items that relate to topics covered in wargames, either actual or hypothetical.

AWOL is where you talk about everything else. So if you want to discuss the NFL, but just with other wargamers, you can go AWOL. (Note: RSP topics will still get moderated and quarantined to RSP.)

These new forums will help keep threads under the Wargames umbrella rather than moved elsewhere. The new options won't show up in the front page Subdomain module to keep non-wargaming riff-raff like me from interjecting.

Link to the forums:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forums/family/4664/wargames

Link to the module showing all the forums:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4664/wargame...

Subscribe/Bookmark/Quickbar as you see fit for easy access.

I know how much y'all love change but let's work with this for a couple months so we can work out the kinks before passing final judgment.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it make sense to move the several threads in the General subdomain that would fit better in the new subdomains? Just to kick them off and to provide examples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
Would it make sense to move the several threads in the General subdomain that would fit better in the new subdomains? Just to kick them off and to provide examples?

It probably would, but I'll leave those judgment calls to

"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb

....I'd probably F it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The wargames forum wasn't broken so not sure why it needed fixed but we'll see how this works.

Is this Historical Context forum going to stay part of the sub-domains module in terms of the front page? I just want to be able to keep all the wargame forum stuff in one spot on my front page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no Wargames module for the front page. The Subdomain module only shows the General forums for each Subdomain.

I'm 95% sure that adding these new forums to your front page will be possible with the site redesign. In the meantime, using the http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4664/wargame... module will be a one-stop-shop for everything going on in the combined forums.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I tacked that up on my quickbar but was hoping I was missing something module wise for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a good idea.

I have thought of suggesting a Design subdomain. Would that make sense? There are not that many threads on the subject here, but there are wargame-related threads in the general design forums too, and I feel like few wargamers ever find their ways over there to comment on anything. The useful things drown in discussions about euro design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two new "options", Vanishment and Exile, out of the front page! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Commuter Belt
badge
HRC - His Royal Cheekiness - Rajah Babu
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
This has been requested a number of times, so we've pulled the trigger and added some new options for the Wargames family:

Really? I thought it was working just fine. Who were these people requesting it and what are their names and addresses ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
Sigh.

Can military history bookshelf please stay in general? The chance of my reading anything but the general forum is slim to none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mikekreuzer wrote:
Sigh.

Can military history bookshelf please stay in general? The chance of my reading anything but the general forum is slim to none.

Just subscribe to both forums and everything will show up on your subscription page? I think more forums is better, giving me more control what to follow or not. You can always stop by in the non-subscribed subforums now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

Is this Historical Context forum going to stay part of the sub-domains module in terms of the front page? I just want to be able to keep all the wargame forum stuff in one spot on my front page.

I agree. I would like to see all three appear on the front page, but at the least, to see history appear with wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
[q="mikekreuzer"]

Just subscribe to both forums

How do I subscribe to a forum?

That's only half the solution, however: (a) It's healthy to have both history and wargames entries read by anyone who simply reads the front page, (an interest in history might lead to an interest in wargames, which would expand the hobby), and (b) I like the idea that my comments may be read by more than a specialized audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's healthy to have both history and wargames entries read by anyone who simply reads the front page, (an interest in history might lead to an interest in wargames, which would expand the hobby...

Exactly right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Poll:

Poll: New Subforums
How do you like the new subforums?
I like it, keep the new subforums.
I don't like it, remove the subforums again.
I don't care.
      243 answers
Poll created by Hegel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Keep the random bull in a separate forum but merge back the history and main forum together please. This forum has a decent level of activity but really it is not like it is so flooded with new threads that we can't keep up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me BGG is getting way to compartmentalized. ...Divided we fall I believe may be an appropriate quote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pepe le moko wrote:
Keep the random bull in a separate forum but merge back the history and main forum together please. This forum has a decent level of activity but really it is not like it is so flooded with new threads that we can't keep up.

We've discussed this many times. While this might have been "requested a number of times" it has also been deemed unecessary a lot more often.

I think a distinction between General and History is a bad idea. Already, there is debate about where the Military history bookshelf should go. I don't think we can separate the two. It's like having a subfolder for "Farming" in the general gaming forum.

If we're going to have an AWOL section, and I can live with that even though I find it unecessary, can we then not have posts sent to RSP. The people in that forum are having intelligent debates and it's not fair to them to keep sending them our nonsense.

I guess this comes from people complaining about some of the "silly" threads. If the BGG wargames subforum was only about wether TS is a wargame or endless "can you recommend a solitaire game" or "should I clip my counters", well I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be a patron. It's the fact that I can have a serious discussion about France in 1940, get some book recommendations AND read stupid captions for stupid pictures, AND see pictures of Tony's mom, AND (insert favorite nonsense here...) that keeps me participating and contributing.

So, the best case scenario is no subfolders. If it will make whoever isn't happy right now happy, let's have a general and AWOL. But please, no History subfolder, keep that in general where it belongs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot of people need to learn and use the great subscription feature on bgg. I have http://www.boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions bookmarked and always use that to access bgg (never the normal front page, which is a lot less useful). I have my subscription settings so that I see every new thread appearing in one of my subscribed forums, plus every post in threads I subscribe to (like this one) (but I'm not bothered with news about posts to other threads).

More forums just means I can filter some threads that I am not going to subscribe to anyway, making it less likely I will miss some interesting thread.

I vote for more subforums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To each his own, I use subscriptions to follow my boardgames, but I always go to the front page to follow the BGG community. If you use only subscriptions it seems like you are seriously stunting the BGG experience.

Likewise, the addition of all these sub-sub-sub domains that never appear on the front page is having the same effect. It seems to me that the site is moving from one of 'lively' discussion to one where everyone simply agrees, because only like minded people are in each sub-sub-sub domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do NOT like that you can't see these two new forums from the subdomain front page. I do all of my navigation from the front page. I don't have a problem with the two new options, but they NEED to be visible on the front page. If I can't see it from the frontpage, it might as well not even exist. And no, I'm not interested in subscriptions and quickbars, thank you very much.

Remember the old adage - if it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!!!

Please make this change to allow these two new sub-forums visible from the frontpage and then we can move forward. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
As Robert, Pete, Olivier and Sam said, I think the history and wargames subforums would be better merged back. The AWOL forum is fine to contain the idiocy idiosyncratic humour of the crowd, but I don't see the point in splitting the other two, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I agree - AWOL is fine, but nix the "history" one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, bye to history, I guess. If it's not there, I'm not going to go looking for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gannon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
hexencounter.blogspot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Please consider merging history back into main wargame forum. There are a ton of other "history only" forums out there to scratch that itch.

There have been too many awesome discussions on this forum that have come about as a result of discussing history via the context of wargames. This is our niche. Let's keep it special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [23] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.