$10.00
Alex Borders
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have questions on several of the new cards. Most I'm fairly sure I understand it correctly, but I'd still like it to be confirmed, but on a couple I'm really scratching my head.

Joret Dal
"Cardassian and non-basic Federation characters cost you 2 less."
Most other cards of this type say "Cards in starbase cost 2 less" so that I could, say, Starfleet Academy Ro Laren (costing 5) to Riker (costing 9). Is that mot possible here?

Neral
"You may draw 1 card. If you do, this card gets -2 Diplomacy."
Does that mean this card loses 2 diplomacy (giving it a net '0') or does it get the attribute -2 diplomacy (a net loss of 4 diplomacy from the +2 it started with).

Macet
"You man discard 1 Cardassian Character from your hand or bridge. If you do, draw 2 cards."
Can I discard Macet himself to draw two cards? Or does it have to be a different Cardassian character?

Level 2 Diagnostic
"When this card would be discarded from your bridge, trash it instead."
The only time it would be discarded is (A) when I was destroyed/defeated in a battle, or (B) as the result of a card effect, right?

Engage
"Draw 1 card for each Maneuver on your bridge. Then, discard 1 card from your hand."
If I have no other maneuvers on my bridge, this means, effectively, discard one card, right? What if I have no cards in my hand? Many effects of this type specify 'you may X, and if you do, also do Y' but this card text is mandatory.

Reginald Barclay
"The next time you explore, this card gets +3 XP"
I assume this means that if I play Barclay to my bridge, and then explore, I get +3XP for the turn. But if so, it seems the wording could have been much clearer.

Warp Core
'Each opponent whose flagship has less speed that your flagship discards 1 card from their hand."
If I play this card on my turn without exploring, it's almost certain that my ship (with +4 speed from this card alone) will be the fastest. That makes this card seem unnaturally powerful, as it means an almost automatic "All opponents discard one card."

Benjamin Maxwell
"When you defeat or diplomacy a starship, trash this card."
Does this include defeating an opponent in a War event? Does this only apply if the victory happens when Maxwell is on my bridge? Again, the text seems unnecessarily vague.

Communications Badge
"Move up to 2 Basic Characters from your discard area to your bridge"
Do I get to spend the XP from these characters this turn as well?

Jean-Luc Picard
"This card cannot be played during battle."
If I have already played this card to my bridge before the battle began, do I gain it's stats? Do I discard it when the battle begins, or take it back into my hand? Or do I get to use it as it sits there?

Kataan Alien Probe
"Flip: Move this card to your points area, place 2 counters on it, and end your turn."
"At the start of your turn, remove 1 counter from this card. If you do, you may only perform the Trash phase this turn. Otherwise, remove this card from the game, and you get +10XP and +2 search."
After much thought, I think I have divined the intent of this card. For the next 2 turns, I may only perform a trash phase, and then the 3rd turn, I get a great buy turn. But the implication I first got was that I had the option of either 'wasting' a turn on a trash phase, or taking the +10XP/+2 search on any of the next three turns.

Ship Hijacking
"The next time you defeat a Standard Starship via combat, you may make it your flagship. (This effect lasts for the rest of the game.)"
Which is it? The next time I defeat a starship, or anytime I defeat a starship for the rest of the game?

Phase Cloaking Device
"Your flagship gets +5 defense."
Is this any flagship I have for the rest of the game? Or only the flagship I have at the time I accomplish this mission? In other words, if I diplomacy another ship and make it my new flagship, does the +5 defense transfer to the new ship? Or does it go away with my old flagship?

General question:
If there is a mission which requires XP, and I have gained XP from an event card during that turn, does the XP from the event card apply towards the mission? A different scenario: what about cards that have been trashed/discarded off my bridge? What if I play a Lieutenant, use Starfleet Academy to upgrade her to a Commander, move the commander back to my hand with Pulaski, and play the Commander? For purposes of accomplishing a mission, does that count as 2XP, 3XP, 5XP, or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bykov
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
alexborders wrote:
I have questions on several of the new cards. Most I'm fairly sure I understand it correctly, but I'd still like it to be confirmed, but on a couple I'm really scratching my head.

Joret Dal
"Cardassian and non-basic Federation characters cost you 2 less."
Most other cards of this type say "Cards in starbase cost 2 less" so that I could, say, Starfleet Academy Ro Laren (costing 5) to Riker (costing 9). Is that mot possible here?

This was a typo, only those cards in Starbase cost you 2 less.

Neral
"You may draw 1 card. If you do, this card gets -2 Diplomacy."
Does that mean this card loses 2 diplomacy (giving it a net '0') or does it get the attribute -2 diplomacy (a net loss of 4 diplomacy from the +2 it started with).

It gets 2 subtracted from its currently Diplomacy, which would normally be 0 excluding other modifiers.

Macet
"You man discard 1 Cardassian Character from your hand or bridge. If you do, draw 2 cards."
Can I discard Macet himself to draw two cards? Or does it have to be a different Cardassian character?

Yes, you can discard himself.

Level 2 Diagnostic
"When this card would be discarded from your bridge, trash it instead."
The only time it would be discarded is (A) when I was destroyed/defeated in a battle, or (B) as the result of a card effect, right?

It is discarded in the event that you are defeated OR if a battle occurs while it is not your turn because at the end of a battle/war all not turn players discard everything in their bridge.

Engage
"Draw 1 card for each Maneuver on your bridge. Then, discard 1 card from your hand."
If I have no other maneuvers on my bridge, this means, effectively, discard one card, right? What if I have no cards in my hand? Many effects of this type specify 'you may X, and if you do, also do Y' but this card text is mandatory.

If you have no other Maneuvers you will have to just discard 1 card from your hand. If you have no cards in your hand you do not have to discard 1 card from your hand.

Reginald Barclay
"The next time you explore, this card gets +3 XP"
I assume this means that if I play Barclay to my bridge, and then explore, I get +3XP for the turn. But if so, it seems the wording could have been much clearer.

Yes, it only works for an explore after he is played. It was written this way to also make sure that it could only trigger once if more then 1 explore was performed during that turn.

Warp Core
'Each opponent whose flagship has less speed that your flagship discards 1 card from their hand."
If I play this card on my turn without exploring, it's almost certain that my ship (with +4 speed from this card alone) will be the fastest. That makes this card seem unnaturally powerful, as it means an almost automatic "All opponents discard one card."

That is how it works. Maneuvers have received a boost in this set.

Benjamin Maxwell
"When you defeat or diplomacy a starship, trash this card."
Does this include defeating an opponent in a War event? Does this only apply if the victory happens when Maxwell is on my bridge? Again, the text seems unnecessarily vague.

Yes, it includes defeating an opponent in war. It only applies while on the bridge. All effects are applied while on the bridge unless specified otherwise.

Communications Badge
"Move up to 2 Basic Characters from your discard area to your bridge"
Do I get to spend the XP from these characters this turn as well?

Yes, their effect activate when they are put on the bridge.

Jean-Luc Picard
"This card cannot be played during battle."
If I have already played this card to my bridge before the battle began, do I gain it's stats? Do I discard it when the battle begins, or take it back into my hand? Or do I get to use it as it sits there?

You can play it as usually outside of battle and it will be activate in a battle like any other card, the only restriction is that if a battle is occurring you cannot play it. Ex. If a War occurs on another players turn, you could not play him from your hand.

Kataan Alien Probe
"Flip: Move this card to your points area, place 2 counters on it, and end your turn."
"At the start of your turn, remove 1 counter from this card. If you do, you may only perform the Trash phase this turn. Otherwise, remove this card from the game, and you get +10XP and +2 search."
After much thought, I think I have divined the intent of this card. For the next 2 turns, I may only perform a trash phase, and then the 3rd turn, I get a great buy turn. But the implication I first got was that I had the option of either 'wasting' a turn on a trash phase, or taking the +10XP/+2 search on any of the next three turns.

You are correct. The removal of the counter is not optional. You must remove it and simply perform the trash phase for the first 2 turns. then on the 3rd turn you get a big bonus.

Ship Hijacking
"The next time you defeat a Standard Starship via combat, you may make it your flagship. (This effect lasts for the rest of the game.)"
Which is it? The next time I defeat a starship, or anytime I defeat a starship for the rest of the game?

It only works once, but last past the initial turn. So it could be 3 turns before you defeat your next Starship, at which point this will trigger that one time.

Phase Cloaking Device
"Your flagship gets +5 defense."
Is this any flagship I have for the rest of the game? Or only the flagship I have at the time I accomplish this mission? In other words, if I diplomacy another ship and make it my new flagship, does the +5 defense transfer to the new ship? Or does it go away with my old flagship?

This stays active for your flagship as long as you have it. So the flagship can change and the new flagship will get the effect.

General question:
If there is a mission which requires XP, and I have gained XP from an event card during that turn, does the XP from the event card apply towards the mission?

Only XP that your cards in your bridge have can be used. If an effect gives one of those cards XP then that will count. XP that you gain doesn't count.

A different scenario: what about cards that have been trashed/discarded off my bridge? What if I play a Lieutenant, use Starfleet Academy to upgrade her to a Commander, move the commander back to my hand with Pulaski, and play the Commander? For purposes of accomplishing a mission, does that count as 2XP, 3XP, 5XP, or what?

This would only count as 3XP, although for spending purposes you would be able to spend the 2 and 3 from both Characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Borders
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Alex!

We've been playing a couple of these incorrectly.

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip DeCarbo
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that Level 2 Diagnostic is powerful in the Borg Scenario, then, as there are no out of turn battles.

As I see it, it can only be discarded after being defeated, and can trash a Borg card in the discard pile every turn, all for the low XP cost of 4!

Or do I have it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stanhope
United States
Plano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Alex (and Alex lol) for your post. My friends and I tried the game for the first time last night and had many of the same questions. It was very helpful to have the answers here this morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I would respectfully disagree on the Communicator Badge. You're not actually playing the card; you're moving the cards to the bridge. This gives you the benefit of the extra stats, especially useful when you need diplomacy to get a ship. Its effects (that being the XP) are not activated, because that's part of playing the card. Move it from your hand to the bridge and activate the effect.

As for the XP mission thing, I'll have to check the rule book again when I have easy access to it, but I don't see why XP you've gained wouldn't help. We've been playing that, while you don't have to spend the XP (unless it says so), you simply have to have it. That means if you already spent on cards from starbase before exploring, you would not necessarily have enough XP to accomplish the mission. Like I said, I'll check again to see if it's just talking about the XP written on the cards, but it seems like it's just looking for the XP you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudro Brown II
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
ABykov wrote:
alexborders wrote:

Warp Core

That is how it works. Maneuvers have received a boost in this set.

Quick further clarification on this one: when a card refers to stats on your "flagship" is it referring to just the stats on the flagship's card or to the accumulated stats from the flagship's card and cards played to the bridge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bykov
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
It refers to its current stats including those receiving from cards on your bridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another - somewhat basic question - has come up in tonights play.

There was a card, not sure which one though, that, when played by the turn player made the other players discard one card from their hands.

Would that mean, that they'd be starting their own turn with only 4 cards or would the immediately re-draw back to a full hand of five cards, as would be done after a battle in a War?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Players only draw up to 5 at the end of their turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It surely makes more sense this way, aside from the exception set up by a War. Thanks, once more, Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.