BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Thunderstone for Facebook open beta rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chairman Moo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thunderstone for Facebook is now in open beta!

Thunderstone is a popular deck building Fantasy adventure game published by Alderac Entertainment Group. Since the summer of 2011, AEG has been working with Zabu Studio, Inc. on taking this property to the Digital platform of Facebook and mobile. I am glad to announce that the Facebook version of Thunderstone is now available!

Right now you can go to our Facebook app at: http://apps.facebook.com/thunderstone/ Currently the following modes are available:

1. Skirmish mode: Play the Thunderstone game you've known and loved against from 1 to 4 computer controlled AI opponents! You can pick from a set of pre constructed "decks" (village/dungeon) setups.

2. Multiplayer mode: You can start or join in on multi-players games against another player in real time. Note that in the current implementation, you can play with anyone whether they are your Facebook friends or complete strangers.

3. Solo Campaign mode: You can play in one of many solo "campaigns" available. Each campaign consists of a number of linked scenario where you'll have to win a scenario in order to advance to the next stage. Throughout the campaign, you will encounter new cards and different setups. Right now you get one campaign for "free", and you can gain access to additional campaign through the purchase of "packs".

Business Model: The game follows the "freemium" model of online game play. This means that anyone can start playing right away without paying anything! The player is not limited by "energy" and other artificial constraint.

If you pay nothing, you'll get access to a sub-set of the cards that was originally introduced in the base set of the game. If you play that out then you'll have to purchase additional "packs" which will give you access to additional cards and decks that you can use in skirmish and multiplayer mode, and it'll also unlock a campaign that is especially designed around the cards introduced in that set.

If you chose not to pay for additional packs, there is still a way for you to try out new cards: Right now in multiplayer game the cards available in a game is determined by the person who is starting a game. Therefore, if Mr. I-have-every-card is starting a game, others can join in and play in that game even if they do not have that card!

What is coming: We are working on a bunch of additional features before we'll "launch" the game with more fanfare. Some (but not all) of the features we are considering:

a. More Facebook integration
b. Ability to invite friends who's currently online for a friends-only game
c. More build in help/tutorial to help newcomers learn the game.
d. Packs from Wrath of the Elements [currently in developer testing mode].
e. Other server side stability improvement.

When new features are available, we will communicate via our FB page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thunderstone-Online/3379506695...), and in BGG here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I played this last night and it went pretty smooth once I figured out what I was doing. I did seem to be a little slow loading between hans though.
btw I lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I give up. Constantly tells me that the game I'm playing has been lost and then I have to start over from beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
This sounds really cool...the only problem for me is that I am not a Facebook user and really don't want to become one.

I'll wait for the Android app and then GO WILD

Great job and hopefully it works out well for the company and the user.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chairman Moo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Darksbane wrote:
Well I give up. Constantly tells me that the game I'm playing has been lost and then I have to start over from beginning.

We are looking at a load issue on the server (it's the first time we have this many users at once!) I apologize for the problem you are having. We will report back when we have a fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fung Rocky
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Thanks for sharing!! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chairman wrote:
Darksbane wrote:

We are looking at a load issue on the server (it's the first time we have this many users at once!) I apologize for the problem you are having. We will report back when we have a fix.

cool, just tried it now for the first time. had that message as well, and also quite slow, guess that's because loads of people are using it, which is a good thing

look forward to playing this more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Finally.

This may sell me the game. I haven't played it and don't know how it works but it's on my radar screen.

If I like it I'm more likely to buy it but then obviously it feels worse to pay for what you can get for free.

Whatever it's only base / a taste or the complete game matters to I suppose.

Great stuff anyway since I haven't bought it since I don't know whatever I'd like it or not

Great great great!

I'll read how it plays and try for a while later

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chairman Moo
United States
California
flag msg tools
We have pushed out a fix for the slow response and "This game no longer exist" bug. We did some testing and it does seem much more responsive. We will continue to monitor the health of the server.
Thank you all for your patience while we looked into this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Peterson
United States
St. Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished playing 4 games and everything was smooth as silk. I am not a huge fan of Facebook.....but I love this game, so until it shows up on my IPAD I will be on Facebook much more often now.

Thanks for the great conversion of this great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Tried to play again today and it totally locked up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vern Shurtz
United States
Spencer
North Carolina
flag msg tools
koikessler wrote:
I just finished playing 4 games and everything was smooth as silk. I am not a huge fan of Facebook.....but I love this game, so until it shows up on my IPAD I will be on Facebook much more often now.

Thanks for the great conversion of this great game.

I have been playing this on my iPad for the last couple of days. Sorta..

Get the SplashTop Remote Desktop iPad version for the iPad.
http://www.splashtop.com/remote
Install the free Streamer program for the PC.
Launch the Thunderstone game on facebook.
Connect to your PC using the Remote app on your iPad.
Select the full screen button on the Thunderstone game and have fun.

This also works well on any Android tablet using the SplashTop Android Remote Desktop HD App.

You can also play just about any game remotely using this.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vern Shurtz
United States
Spencer
North Carolina
flag msg tools
chairman wrote:
We have pushed out a fix for the slow response and "This game no longer exist" bug. We did some testing and it does seem much more responsive. We will continue to monitor the health of the server.

I played around 4 games this evening and all was good. No slowdown and no drops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lawhun
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I can't get this to load for anything. It just loads the border and then just sits there doing nothing. I am using Firefox, and have updated my flash and java plugins. Help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vern Shurtz
United States
Spencer
North Carolina
flag msg tools
spaminator wrote:
I can't get this to load for anything. It just loads the border and then just sits there doing nothing. I am using Firefox, and have updated my flash and java plugins. Help!

Try using Internet Explorer just to see if that works. If so, then download and reinstall the latest Firefox to see if that helps.

You may also want to ensure that Flash and Java are not "Disabled". In the Firefox drop down menu select Add-ons, (or press ctrl+shft+a), then select plug-ins. scroll down to Shockwave Flash and make sure it is not "Disabled". Do the same for Java.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kennyd Sevenants
Belgium
flag msg tools
It's nowhere near as fun as playing it irl though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving playing it, so have now ordered the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, though I hope there's a free play mode eventually. The missions are nice, but I'd like to just play against the AI, too.

Maybe it's there already, I don't know.

A little bummed about the freemium model for it, too.

I assume this is the same version coming to the iPad? When will that be happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chairman wrote:

I haven't had any more either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nony Ledgard
msg tools
mb
I'm really not a fan of a game in beta charging money.

There are all sorts of things that can go astray - the game could collapse, the company could split, the game could prove to not succeed and we're out of pocket, plus plenty of other problems.

Get your game right. Let us beta test everything there is. How can you expect your game to be beta tested correctly, if some people trying to beta test it can't play the way you want the game played, because they (rightfully) don't want to pay cash towards a game that isn't completely finished yet?

Release the game, then charge us money. It feels amatuerish and money-grubbing to charge us for an unfinished product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funso wrote:
I'm really not a fan of a game in beta charging money.

There are all sorts of things that can go astray - the game could collapse, the company could split, the game could prove to not succeed and we're out of pocket, plus plenty of other problems.

Get your game right. Let us beta test everything there is. How can you expect your game to be beta tested correctly, if some people trying to beta test it can't play the way you want the game played, because they (rightfully) don't want to pay cash towards a game that isn't completely finished yet?

Release the game, then charge us money. It feels amatuerish and money-grubbing to charge us for an unfinished product.

I haven't paid anything for the game, and it works perfectly fine for me. There is no reason you need to pay for the app. Wait and see how it develops before deciding to support it or not.

I do agree it may be a bit premature to charge for the game, but we are only talking a couple of dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I found a bug. I attacked a monster that made my str -2 and it didn't destroy my militia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chairman Moo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Bullwinkle wrote:
I like it, though I hope there's a free play mode eventually. The missions are nice, but I'd like to just play against the AI, too.

Maybe it's there already, I don't know.

A little bummed about the freemium model for it, too.

I assume this is the same version coming to the iPad? When will that be happening?

If you do not care for the mission/campaign, you can go to the Skirmish mode which is just you against the AI. You can select from a village/monster setup, and then pick how many AI players you want to fight against.

iOS port investigation is going hot and heavy right now. No schedule yet but you guys will be the first to know...

Milton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Will it be available for the iPhone/iPod Touch or just the iPad only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could anyone tell me what cards are in the free game on Facebook? Is it equal to the base game? All the expansions? A special set?

Also what does the add-ons equal? I've never bough anything on facebook so I don't know what a facebook coin is worth. But I saw you could get free ones by participating in various activities anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.