Rich Hansen
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the last session report was about a near perfect game. Well let me balance that out with near perfect loss.

My wife and I had played On the Brink (with new role cards, action cards and virulent strain epidemic cards) about 7 times and won 4 or 5 of them using 6 epidemic cards. We thought we were getting pretty good at saving the world. Tonight, however, was a tough night as the virulent strains seemed unstoppably moving at rapid rates infecting everything around them. The world was to end up decimated in our first 4 tries.

Indeed, we lost one session after only 8 or so rounds. We considered it a fluke in getting the wrong cards at the wrong time. The world was lost to the plague so fast we decided simply to mix the cards, reset up the world, and try again. Surely we would do better this time saving the world.

At the start of this game we knew our assignment would be tough. We ended up with lots of infection in Asia: 3 on Moscow, 3 on Karachi, and 2 on Baghdad.

Istanbul - Moscow (3)
| |
Baghdad (2) - Tehran
| |
_ Karachi (3)

Perhaps not so bad as they were at least close to each other. But neither of us had a card of a city anywhere near the above cities so as to fly there and start eradicating. Our roles were of no help. My wife started first and got to Los Angelas to clear one cube. As it also had 3 cubes this would help reduce the threat in case an epidemic came right away.

She drew two cards. One was an epidemic. Not just any epidemic, it was the Slippery Slope epidemic card. This is the card which states that you.
1) Turn over the bottom card on the discard pile and infect with 3 cubes.
2) Determine the virulent strain.
3) From now on each outbreak of the virulent strain will cause the outbreak marker to move forward two spots.

What would be the virulent strain? We turned over the bottom card revealing Tehran - right smack in between Moscow and Karachi. The virulent strain was black.

Istanbul - Moscow (3)
| |
Baghdad (2) - Tehran (3)
| |
_ Karachi (3)

You probably do not need to keep reading to see what was in the cards for us. We must turn over 2 cards of the newly mixed discard pile. Yes, our chances were now 2 in 9 that we would lose on the first round.

And indeed, the first card was Karachi. Karachi outbreaks (move marker up from 0 to 2 because of Slippery slope). Karachi's outbreak adds a cube to Baghdad meaning it now also has 3 cubes. Karachi's outbreak causes Tehran to outbreak (move marker up from 2 to 4). Tehran's outbreak causes Baghdad and Moscow to outbreak (move marker from 4 to 8). Just like that before I even had a chance to lend aid to save humanity it was extinguished.

Yes, it could have been worse, we could not have at least cleared one cube from Los Angelas.

Tough luck in getting the slippery slope you say. Well kind of. But even without it I had no way on my turn to get to these cities and the 3rd card in the discard pile was, you guessed it, Moscow. So even without the slippery slope we would have lost on the second turn with another quadruple (or more) outbreak.

The good thing about Pandemic is that like a video game, humanity has more than one life. We simply reset up the board and tried one last time to save the world this night. This, our fifth attempt was finally a success. We could sleep well knowing humanity would live to face another day.

If anyone thinks that we have somehow played incorrectly let us know.

Has anyone else been so inept as to let humanity be wiped out after only curing one cube?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Helton
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say that losing after curing one cube was ineptitude in this case, just really crappy luck. Good story, really unfortunate outcome though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've lost plain Pandemic on Normal difficulty within 4 turns before. Very bad luck on seeding, and multiple chain-reactions on the outbreaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report.

I wish you had reported what roles you were and what cards you each were holding, as it's fun to try and see if there were other moves available.

Pretty much half the deck would have eliminated this I think, any of the 10 north american cities, plus the 10 black/blue ones near Baghdad, and some of the specials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hansen
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

Yes, it would have been good. But I was not thinking of session report at the time but just getting on to a new game. I wrote the report much later at night somewhat from memory. Actually looking back at the board I see that my wife would have only taken two turns to get to Los Angelas so she probably picked up two cubes.

In terms of our special role cards, we had Troubleshooter and Scientist (I do not recall who had which). In terms of the cards in our hands, of course my wife's cards were the most crucial for us as she was first. I remember she had 2 cards which if she flew to could have gotten her to arrive at one of the problem cities but she would not have been able to remove one. The others gave no help at all. We decided it was better to just clear some from Los Angelas on the first turn. We certainly did not foresee the senario which played out but we saw no way to stop it.

I do remember a quick look at my cards showed that it did not look like I could arrive there as well. If it had not been the Slippery Slope Epidemic and I actually got a turn, perhaps a closer look would have indeed shown that I had a city which if I got to and flew from it could have gotten me there to perhaps remove a cube. If that happened and if I had removed 1 from Moscow, that would have given us some time. But with Baghdad would then come on my wife's turn and ….

Yes, on hind sight I wish I wrote out the cards so that I could get help from the community if there was something we overlooked or still some way were were playing wrong. Thanks for your comments.

Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.