Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Erin go Bragh! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Worthington has soon an interest in publishing my variant for the War of the Austrian Succession (http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65452/scenarios-for-the-wa...). The game though will be modeled more on Napoleon's War: The 100 Days than on Hold the Line. The game will have 4 battles, with a further 2 planned for an expansion. The maps will not be modular.

To those who be interested and/or have played some of the scenarios I made, tell me which set of battle would interest you the most.

Battles of Maurice de Saxe
Dettingen, Fontenoy, Rocoux, and Lauffeld.

I'd try to follow it up with other French battles from the War of the Austrian Sucession, such as Villafranca, Piacenza, or Grand Pre or something from the Seven Years' War. This set of battles interests me the most because it covers some engagements that are rarely simulated.

Frederick vs. Maria
Mollwitz, Chotusitz, Hohenfriedberg, Soor, Hennersdorf, and Kesselsdorf

I'd try and follow this up with some of Frederick's battles from the Seven Years' War. This would be fun, but there are already many games on Frederick's battles.

Jacobites
Sheriffmuir, Glen Shiel, Prestonpans, Falkirk, and Culloden

This one interests me the least, as some of the battles are fairly imbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on the coming games! I am very deficient on that period of history so can be of no help in picking battles. I'm sure I will know more after I play yout game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
"Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that."
badge
"Wash, we got some local color happening. A grand entrance would not go amiss."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean, will the game(s) use minis like Napoleon's War: The 100 Days?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Erin go Bragh! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Congratulations on the coming games! I am very deficient on that period of history so can be of no help in picking battles. I'm sure I will know more after I play yout game.

Thanks Scott!

Ashitaka wrote:
Sean, will the game(s) use minis like Napoleon's War: The 100 Days?

No, from what they've told me it will be counters.

I do hope they make some battles of the War of the First Coalition using those miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all congratulations for the publishing of your War of the Austrian Succession scenarios.

I am skeptical about Worthington abandoning the modular design of Hold the Line, in favor of the standard 2 double-sided maps/4 battles format.

Space issues: The modular design can easily fit many battles in one box, so you don't end up with a pile of boxes. But most importantly...

Cost issues: Selling 4 battles with pre-made maps and 2 battles per expansion pack, may be a good business choice for Worthington, but it will become costly for gamers.

Hold the Line included 13 scenarios, the new format will triple the price for the same number of scenarios...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
First of all congratulations for the publishing of your War of the Austrian Succession scenarios.

I am skeptical about Worthington abandoning the modular design of Hold the Line, in favor of the standard 2 double-sided maps/4 battles format.

Space issues: The modular design can easily fit many battles in one box, so you don't end up with a pile of boxes. But most importantly...

Cost issues: Selling 4 battles with pre-made maps and 2 battles per expansion pack, may be a good business choice for Worthington, but it will become costly for gamers.

Hold the Line included 13 scenarios, the new format will triple the price for the same number of scenarios...

First, thanks for the congratulations.

I think it has to do with printing issues, which is in part why the Mexican War game was delayed for years. However, they do not plan to make a bunch of scenarios "in mass" so to speak and squeeze the customer. Instead, they'll offer only the very best. The main drawback is that more obscure battles will be lost in the shuffle. On the plus side, the maps they have planned are gorgeous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean - the existing scenarios are a mixture of good to excellent

How about, instead of producing a new game with a limited number of scenarios.

A book, containg the scenarios, with a punchboard(s) of any counters needed, still using the HtL map and terrain.

I for one, would be far more likely to buy that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
SF3D
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy for you, sadden that they are not going to support it in "Hold the Line" style. Never had an interest in getting the Nappy game, so don't know how different the rules are, but I much rather had them make an expansion with counters for Hold the Line. Oh well. Good luck with the venture though.

Cheers
Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zhodanicommando wrote:
Happy for you, sadden that they are not going to support it in "Hold the Line" style. Never had an interest in getting the Nappy game, so don't know how different the rules are, but I much rather had them make an expansion with counters for Hold the Line. Oh well. Good luck with the venture though.

Cheers
Kevin

Thanks Kevin and if you can, try out the Nappy game. It is quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ph’nglui mglw’nfah Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add my voice to the chorus- both to congratulate Sean and to lament that they want us to buy new maps. Very happy we're still in counter (read, not-minis) world, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After listening to the voices raised here and from some e-mails I received, it appears Worthington will instead make a stand alone expansion in the tradition of Hold the Line: French and Indian War Expansion Set. For now, it will include about 20 scenarios drawn from the War of the Austrian Succession and the Seven Years' War. I may to do battles from other conflicts from the time, such as the War of the Polish Succession and suppression of Poland and Corsica.

Who knows, maybe the War of the Spanish Succession and French Revolutionary Wars will get their due.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
SF3D
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
After listening to the voices raised here and from some e-mails I recieved, it appears Worthington will instead make a stand alone expansion in the tradition of Hold the Line: French and Indian War Expansion Set. For now, it will include about 20 scenarios drawn from the War of the Austrian Succession and the Seven Years' War. I may to seize in some battles from other conflicts from the time, such as the War of the Polish Succession and suppression of Poland and Corsica.

Who knows, maybe the War of the Spanish Succession and French Revolutionary Wars will get their due.

WHOOOT! Now that's what I am talking about! I am doing the Snoopy dance of joy! Great news, I hope they push it out the door soon, I can't wait to get my hands on the troop counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zhodanicommando wrote:
gittes wrote:
After listening to the voices raised here and from some e-mails I recieved, it appears Worthington will instead make a stand alone expansion in the tradition of Hold the Line: French and Indian War Expansion Set. For now, it will include about 20 scenarios drawn from the War of the Austrian Succession and the Seven Years' War. I may to seize in some battles from other conflicts from the time, such as the War of the Polish Succession and suppression of Poland and Corsica.

WHOOOT! Now that's what I am talking about! I am doing the Snoopy dance of joy! Great news, I hope they push it out the door soon, I can't wait to get my hands on the troop counters.

I'll certainly try to get them something before March.

For now I'll be separating the two conflicts, with Seven Years' War (and Russian counters) in a separate volume.

This a preliminary scenario list (lower case are ones I need to design). If you think I'm missing one let me know. Battles in Italy (involving the Spanish) and involving the Jacobites will hopefully come in a later volume.

War of the Polish Succession
San Pietro June 29, 1734

Guastalla September 19, 1734

War of the Austrian Succession
MOLLWITZ April 14, 1741

CHOTUSITZ May 17, 1742

DETTINGEN June 27, 1743

Pfaffenhofen April 15, 1745

FONTENOY May 11, 1745

HOHENFRIEDBERG June 4, 1745

Melle 9 July 1745

SOOR September 30, 1745

Hennersdorf November 23, 1745

KESSELSDORF December 15, 1745

GRAND PRE February 10-11, 1747

ROUCOX October 11, 1746

LAUFFELD July 2, 1747

Assietta July 19, 1747
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did two of them today (first draft so to speak). Here is one of them.

San Pietro - June 29, 1734 – Mercy’s Bold Assault

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
After listening to the voices raised here and from some e-mails I recieved, it appears Worthington will instead make a stand alone expansion in the tradition of Hold the Line: French and Indian War Expansion Set. For now, it will include about 20 scenarios drawn from the War of the Austrian Succession and the Seven Years' War. I may to seize battles from other conflicts from the time, such as the War of the Polish Succession and suppression of Poland and Corsica.

That's great news! I am certainly in for an expansion like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you asked, personally I'd be keen on the scottish scenarioes.
I know they'll be unbalanced, which probably is why there aren't any games on them.
But having visited scottish battlefields I think it would be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burchfield
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Really excited about this. I should note that Sean has been a big part of the push behind my creating additional revolutionary war scenarios for Hold the Line. It's going to be a pretty good year for the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingcujoI wrote:
Really excited about this. I should note that Sean has been a big part of the push behind my creating additional revolutionary war scenarios for Hold the Line. It's going to be a pretty good year for the system.

Excellent news Matt, I can't wait to see the new HtL scenarios.

I have actually been working on them today in between packing boxes. Just finished the redesign of Soor and the scenario for Hennersdorf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
"Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that."
badge
"Wash, we got some local color happening. A grand entrance would not go amiss."
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring the rain Matt, bring the rain!!!

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.