Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've got both of the existing Pocket Battles and, try that I might, can't convince my wife to play them. Which means I'm not getting anything out of them either.

Anyone fancy teaching me a bit of strategy via the medium of a gentle PBF game or two (or three or four)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in, sir.

How can we play without a programme to show us the opponent's cards? There was a Vassal module, but it was a fan made version of the Lord of the Rings and the units dindn't fit in their game values. Besides, I don't use Vassal.

Just in case you don't know, in the Celts vs. Romans files you have some tips if you'd prefer to play solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't Vassal either. The whole game's small and short enough that I was just going to set it up on a side-table for a few days until finished. Shouldn't take much longer than that, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good idea. I could do that, although I would prefer another solution, since usually a lot of relatives drop by my home and I would hate anybody to touch may game when I'm off.

Now, I will propose you another option. Do you have a digital camera? (I don't). Perhaps you could take a picture of every turn, and post it here in the forum (that's the usual play-by-forum option). This would be just great, since it would serve to promote the game, and I'd really love to do that. I truly believe that there are lots of people that don't know Pocket Battles, but they'd surely love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I could do that.

Perhaps we should turn it into a Geeklist as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!

We can start on Monday (these days I'm on holidays, so I don't have my Pocket Battles sets; I don't need them to play since I'll have your photos, but I need them to select troops and deployment).

You can choose faction; I'll play your "natural" foes. You can also choose total army points (I would suggest anything between 60 and 80).

Perhaps we could change deployment rules (so we don't need about twenty replies just to deploy our forces!). Here are my proposed rules:

1. We roll here to determine attacker and defender.
2. You could deploy all your units before knowing my deployment.
3. Then, without knowing yours, I'll write here my deployment.
4. You take the first photo, and the battle begins!!

Please let me know what you think.

P.S. I think I added Pocket Battles to one or two geeklists about fast wargames or anything similar. Yes, geeklists are a great way to let people know the game, so if we see one where it could fit, we should add it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd prefer the 'proper' deployment rules. They're a quite important tactical part of the game.

Sure, it might take a little bit longer, but it will be worth it if we're illustrating with photos.

I'd like to take the Romans if that's OK by you. I'm only a beginner and they seem easiest to co-ordinate. And shall we start with a 60-point battle? We really ought to start the PBF thread over on Celts v Romans for accuracy's sake.

My die roll for first player: 1d6 = (6) = 6

Well, that's a good start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 95842. ousgg
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:25 am
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, standard deployment rules. I've only used them twice, since my 99,99% games have been solitaire, so it's fine to play again with the standard rules!

Good choice! Romans are the easiest army to play, since they have very few traits. So I'll command the Celts! 60 points is fine: I usually play this size.

Attacker or Defender? 1d6 = (5) = 5

Please, feel free to start a new thread. We could invent a year and a place...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 95845. CATAFRACTO
  • 1d6 =
  • (5) =
  • Attacker or Defender?
  • Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:33 am
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8280765#8280765

I've done a bit of historical research and given it a plausible background. One that will appeal to you, I'm sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I really like your introduction. Thank you very much!

Now we can move to the new thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Smith
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always just list the card id's at the bottom of the post

- - - Rear Zone - - -
Cel01 | Cel02 | Cel03
Cel04 | . . . | . . .
. . . | . . . | Cel12
- - - Front Zone - - -
Cel07 | Cel08 | Cel10
. . . | . . . | . . .
- -Engagement Zone- -
. . . | . . . | . . .
. . . | Cel12 | . . .
. . . | Rom03 | . . .
. . . | . . . | . . .
- - - Front Zone - - -
Rom02 | . . . | Rom04
. . . | . . . | . . .
- - - Rear Zone - - -
Rom05 | Rom06 | Rom08

A little effort to set up, but not too bad to maintain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the idea. Anyway, no system can match a graphic representation. Perhaps this game needs a cyberboard version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you wouldn't need a working sim, just images of the tiles and the order/wound counters to drag around. I have no expertise in the area, but I imagine it should be fairly simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.