Ben
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Moongha Invaders: Mad Scientists and Atomic Monsters Attack the Earth! for the first time on Monday and had a number of rules issues. Searching the forums seemed to answer all of them other than the ones involving the Pass Token. Help me out, please.

1. If you pick up your Pass Token from a box with no tokens/block (e.g., an empty Move/Hide box), can you still perform the action?

1.A. If "No," what purpose do the Pass Tokens serve (i.e. why would you ever place a pass token rather than just take an action or make a soft pass)?

1.B. If "Yes,":

i. In the Create/Heal box, can you create a monster if you only needed one more token? (I assume you can't pick up an orange token from the supply if you needed more than one token.)

ii. In the Attack box, can you only attack with monsters who already have stored white tokens, or do you attack "as if" you had just taken a white token?

iii. In the Hero box, can you relocate a Hero on the board? If not, can you activate a hero on the board as if it has just been placed? If not that, can you at least trigger the military in a city already containing a hero?

iv. In the Military box, can you trigger the existing military in a city? (I assume that you can't relocate a military unit already on the board.)

As you can see, I am thoroughly perplexed about this one aspect of the game. It seems to be a key element of the game (we effectively played without the pass tokens, which led to very little movement and a rush on the attack and military tokens every round), and I would just like to get this straightened out.

Thanks in advance.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
When you activate your pass token, removing it from the board, it is as if you had taken that action through normal means.

i. Yes, you can create a monster. I'd even let you take a spare orange token from stock and place it on a monster that requires multiple tokens.

ii. You may attack with any monster.

iii. Not sure of this one. I think you may relocate a hero and attack with it.

iv. I think you get a baseline military unit (infantry from 5, tank from 6). I will look for clarification on this.

IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP: Activating your pass token counts as a Pass action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me quote the rulebook:

If you placed your Pass token in the Create Monster or Heal action box, then when you took the token back you would also take one orange token from the stock and use it as described earlier in the rules.

If you placed your Pass token in the Attack with Monster action box, then when you take it back you take one white attack token from the stock and use it according to the rules described earlier.

If you placed your Pass token in the Move or Hide monster action box, then when you take it back you must move or hide one of your monsters, as if you had taken a purple token.

If you placed your Pass token in the Place Hero action box, then when you take it back you must place a hero counter in a city. If there is none available in the stock then you would take one from the board. You could place this hero in the same city you took him from. This counts as a Place Hero action.

If you placed your Pass token in either Military 1 or 2 action boxes, then when you take it back you must place either an infantry or armour counter, depending on whether you placed the token in box 1 or 2, and place it in a city of your choice. If there is no counter available in the stock then you take one from the board and place it. You may place it in the same city that you took the counter from. This counts as a Place Military action.

HTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I'm not sure I've ever seen (much less experienced) this level of reading comprehension fail. blush

That was so clear that I was convinced that you had just quoted from some revised, online-only rulebook. I honestly just checked both the download in the file section and my printed rulebook because there was no way I could have effectively blocked out that entire section of the rules when reading, right? Right?

Alas, I fail. Thanks for the the prompt response, Phil. You rock, as always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chally wrote:
As you can see, I am thoroughly perplexed about this one aspect of the game. It seems to be a key element of the game (we effectively played without the pass tokens, which led to very little movement and a rush on the attack and military tokens every round), and I would just like to get this straightened out.

Ben-

Passing is a key element of the game, IMO. What makes it interesting is that after a pass, the other players have to decide whether to allow the action where the pass token was placed, or to deny it by also passing.

Also, make sure you understand that using the action where your pass token was placed is also considered a pass. Once all players have passed either by placing a pass token or using one, the round is over. If even one player does a normal action, the round continues...

-Doug

EDIT: Right after posting this, I noticed Phil's "important safety tip" - sorry for the redundacy modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love how this Token works. Moongha is awesome!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.