$10.00
Recommend
102 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7875 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [315] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: women - games you just bought/recieved ? comments ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonna Hind
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
“Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering.” ― Steve Maraboli
badge
"Be happy with being you. Love your flaws. Own your quirks. And know that you are just as perfect as anyone else, exactly as you are." Ariana Grande
mbmbmbmbmb
Eboshi wrote:
We purchased way too many games this Christmas season and are having quite a bit of buyers' remorse.

So far we've played Eminent Domain, Ninjato, Alien Frontiers, and Core Worlds. Of those games, only Core Worlds is going to stick around in our collection.

We were really, really looking forward to Eminent Domain and Alien Factions but both games fell flat with our gaming group. Ninjato was certainly a pretty looking game, but not very exciting. Core Worlds was the real shocker, a game my husband got as an afterthought when placing a rather large Stronghold games order. We all loved the game and have played it three times in less than 2 weeks, a sure sign it's a keeper.

Still to play from the Christmas season are The Ares Project and Panic Station. Like I said, we bought a few too many blush


I've had my eye on the Alien Frontiers for a while now. Can you share why you didn't like it? Maybe you can give me a good reason not to buy it, as I already have bought way too many lately Panic Station is one other game I'd really like to get to try.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! I guess I should stop whining (in my head) about the price of games!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
OMG! I guess I should stop whining (in my head) about the price of games!


Nah. It's a sub-hobby all its own!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
His heart was growing full of broken wings and artificial flowers
mbmbmbmbmb
richtoosoon wrote:
Quote:
I just picked up Strike of the Eagle, Washington's War, and Wilderness War. I am really getting into wargames and no one is as surprised as I am about this.


Let's see-- you have a razor sharp mind, you aren't adverse to direct confrontation, and you harbor a deep love of abstracts. Uh, I'm not surprised. Why are you, my friend???


Theme solely. I was able to get beyond the displays of armed aggression to discover the underlining jolts of joy.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Crane
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:


I've had my eye on the Alien Frontiers for a while now. Can you share why you didn't like it? Maybe you can give me a good reason not to buy it, as I already have bought way too many lately Panic Station is one other game I'd really like to get to try.


Sure, let me start off by saying I went into our first game of Alien Frontiers thinking this would be my new favorite game. I love dice placement, especially the game Kingsburg. For some reason, I had it in my head that this would be "Kingsburg in space".

A bit of an overview of the game: your dice are 'ships' and you are trying to colonize different sectors of a planet. There is more to the game than that, but for the most part, you score by colonizing the planet. The game has two basic flaws in my mind. First, there is only one way to gain more ships and that is to roll doubles. You start the game with three dice and it took half the players in our game 5 rounds before they got doubles. My husband the math teacher had a lot of fun at our expense calculating the probability that someone would roll three dice five times and not get doubles. My second issue with the game is how victory points are tallied. Points are gained by colonization or having specific cards and both can be stolen from you by your opponents. We found the game got really nasty towards the end as everyone ganged up on the front runner by stealing points from him.

If you don't mind a cutthroat game that involves a bit of luck, by all means, give it a shot. It just didn't work for my group.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Stumpf
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lorna wrote:
Hope your week is getting better, Sandy! Have you played Helvetia yet? I kind of liked it. I have it on preorder somewhere.


My week is getting better, especially since tomorrow is Friday! I haven't played Helvetia yet but I hope to soon. Let me know if you know of anyone who might be interested in playing at EGG.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna Hind
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
“Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering.” ― Steve Maraboli
badge
"Be happy with being you. Love your flaws. Own your quirks. And know that you are just as perfect as anyone else, exactly as you are." Ariana Grande
mbmbmbmbmb
Eboshi wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:


I've had my eye on the Alien Frontiers for a while now. Can you share why you didn't like it? Maybe you can give me a good reason not to buy it, as I already have bought way too many lately Panic Station is one other game I'd really like to get to try.


Sure, let me start off by saying I went into our first game of Alien Frontiers thinking this would be my new favorite game. I love dice placement, especially the game Kingsburg. For some reason, I had it in my head that this would be "Kingsburg in space".

A bit of an overview of the game: your dice are 'ships' and you are trying to colonize different sectors of a planet. There is more to the game than that, but for the most part, you score by colonizing the planet. The game has two basic flaws in my mind. First, there is only one way to gain more ships and that is to roll doubles. You start the game with three dice and it took half the players in our game 5 rounds before they got doubles. My husband the math teacher had a lot of fun at our expense calculating the probability that someone would roll three dice five times and not get doubles. My second issue with the game is how victory points are tallied. Points are gained by colonization or having specific cards and both can be stolen from you by your opponents. We found the game got really nasty towards the end as everyone ganged up on the front runner by stealing points from him.

If you don't mind a cutthroat game that involves a bit of luck, by all means, give it a shot. It just didn't work for my group.


Thanks, that gave me lot to think about. And I really don't want the game that much anymore, which is good, as I already have too many new and unplayed games laugh
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sandysidamo wrote:
lorna wrote:
Hope your week is getting better, Sandy! Have you played Helvetia yet? I kind of liked it. I have it on preorder somewhere.


My week is getting better, especially since tomorrow is Friday! I haven't played Helvetia yet but I hope to soon. Let me know if you know of anyone who might be interested in playing at EGG.

Sure there would be interest!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
at last my birthday stash has reached me..im sat in bed on my new notebook with my stash beside me - this is great for my yucata friends cos it means my partner and i can try out new games on there - which means i will speed up getting to grips with some more games

i have all the Rattus

Glen Moree! yes - i think its out of print..i tried lots of places, and even bought it to be told it wasnt really available - then someone on the geek told me it was for sale in one place.in trepidation i rung and yes they had it in stock..unaware it was like gold dust!

Fjords..which i got from usa on geek market


Octopus' Garden complete with soft velvet bag

and Santiago de Cuba inspired by yucata

im looking forward to some punching of bits now and sniffing of boxes
8 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been lucky enough to win some auctions recently, so I have Fury of Dracula, All Things Zombie, Alien Frontiers, and Infinite City all on the way to me now.

I am also (since this is my birthday week!) hoping to place a Thought Hammer order this week. Right now, Finca is firmly in that order since I am thoroughly enjoying playing it on Yucata. No telling what else I will order though
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:
at last my birthday stash has reached me..im sat in bed on my new notebook with my stash beside me - this is great for my yucata friends cos it means my partner and i can try out new games on there - which means i will speed up getting to grips with some more games

i have all the Rattus

Glen Moree! yes - i think its out of print..i tried lots of places, and even bought it to be told it wasnt really available - then someone on the geek told me it was for sale in one place.in trepidation i rung and yes they had it in stock..unaware it was like gold dust!

Fjords..which i got from usa on geek market


Octopus' Garden complete with soft velvet bag

and Santiago de Cuba inspired by yucata

im looking forward to some punching of bits now and sniffing of boxes


Wow! Quite a stash! And I am totally jealous of your Glen More score! I have been wanting that one for ages! Enjoy the birthday bounty. Mine was in Dec. so I have a long wait. Will have to find other excuses.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scdoster wrote:
I have been lucky enough to win some auctions recently, so I have Fury of Dracula, All Things Zombie, Alien Frontiers, and Infinite City all on the way to me now.

I am also (since this is my birthday week!) hoping to place a Thought Hammer order this week. Right now, Finca is firmly in that order since I am thoroughly enjoying playing it on Yucata. No telling what else I will order though


Happy Birthday, Stasia! I think you'll really like f2f Finca. What else is on your order list?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
scdoster wrote:
I have been lucky enough to win some auctions recently, so I have Fury of Dracula, All Things Zombie, Alien Frontiers, and Infinite City all on the way to me now.

I am also (since this is my birthday week!) hoping to place a Thought Hammer order this week. Right now, Finca is firmly in that order since I am thoroughly enjoying playing it on Yucata. No telling what else I will order though


Happy Birthday, Stasia! I think you'll really like f2f Finca. What else is on your order list?


Not sure what else I am going to order at this point. My youngest daughter Catey is home for spring break - she is the other gamer in my family, unlike Beth who I drag into playing - and we are watching video reviews of games together to see if there is anything that especially appeals to her, so it may be a week or so before I even place the order. Beth would like the Ticket to Ride Asia game, so I will get that one for her unless something else appeals in the meantime. Thanks for the birthday wishes
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Hansen
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:


and Santiago de Cuba inspired by yucata


Happy Birthday!

I also purchased Santiago de Cuba after playing it on Yucata! I have made a couple of other purchases because of that site, too!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scdoster wrote:

I am also (since this is my birthday week!) hoping to place a Thought Hammer order this week.

Happy Birthday!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kim, have you played Oregon? Kim has been waxing poetic about it (like me with KB).

I do the same thing with orders. Sometimes it is months before I have honed it to (hopefully) perfection. That's part of the fun for me. In fact, I almost always have a list going, but I guess that's what the wish list is so most of us must do it. Right now my top contenders for the next order are

Oregon
Glen More--I wish they would reprint it already!

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter Acerbic Harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy birthday!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
Hi! I'm Macaos. A cute, kind, sporty and fun Bearded Collie. I enjoy lying under the table when Macao is on the table.
mbmbmbmbmb
scdoster wrote:

I am also (since this is my birthday week!) hoping to place a Thought Hammer order this week.


Happy birthday! thumbsup
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
Hi! I'm Macaos. A cute, kind, sporty and fun Bearded Collie. I enjoy lying under the table when Macao is on the table.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have over the time supported some games on Kickstarter.
And last week I received The Manhattan Project.
Looking forward to play this game, but my list of unplayed games is long! So it might take some months or years? blush
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
pyr-shep wrote:
scdoster wrote:

I am also (since this is my birthday week!) hoping to place a Thought Hammer order this week.


Happy birthday! thumbsup


Thanks for the birthday wishes, Monica!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
pyr-shep wrote:
I have over the time supported some games on Kickstarter.
And last week I received The Manhattan Project.
Looking forward to play this game, but my list of unplayed games is long! So it might take some months or years? blush


I would be interested in seeing what you think of The Manhattan Project once you get to play it, Monica. I have only seen one video review of it thus far.

I am Kickstarting 3 games right now, but the one I am most looking forward to is Agents of Smersh. I really enjoy the game Tales of the Arabian Nights, and Smersh is somewhat similar, although with a completely different theme.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this is TOTALLY Kim's fault. Today I was ordering some things for my pup, Gracie, on Amazon. And somehow, someway, Oregon found it's way into my basket! Thank you, Kim!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kathy i have the shop that sells it bookmarked..let us know how you find it on the table..im so close to buying it too
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:
kathy i have the shop that sells it bookmarked..let us know how you find it on the table..im so close to buying it too


I sure will. I am not understanding it from just reading thru the Yucata rules and the videos on it are not helpful either. The reviews I've read make sense until I'm trying to play and then it falls apart for me. I do much better when the game is physically in front of me. So, I'll let you know!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Crane
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit behind on all the exciting game talk going on, but let me start by saying Happy Birthday Stasia!

We just picked up 1812: The Invasion of Canada. I have no clue when we will ever find time to play it but I am just so happy to get it in the house. Yay!

I love kickstarting games, and I am hoping our copies of Empires of the Void and Glory to Rome black box ship soon.

Can't wait to hear how everyone's new purchases play!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [315] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.