BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: women - games you just bought/recieved ? comments ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
Hi! I'm Macaos. A cute, kind, sporty and fun Bearded Collie. I enjoy lying under the table when Macao is on the table.
mbmbmbmbmb
scdoster wrote:
pyr-shep wrote:
I have over the time supported some games on Kickstarter.
And last week I received The Manhattan Project.
Looking forward to play this game, but my list of unplayed games is long! So it might take some months or years? blush

I would be interested in seeing what you think of The Manhattan Project once you get to play it, Monica. I have only seen one video review of it thus far.

I am Kickstarting 3 games right now, but the one I am most looking forward to is Agents of Smersh. I really enjoy the game Tales of the Arabian Nights, and Smersh is somewhat similar, although with a completely different theme.

I'll let you know! But it might take a while before I get to play it. Not much gaming these days. Busy at work, and I'm also taking some continuing education (at least Google Translate said I should write it like this...) in my spare time, so not much time for gaming. (other than on Yucata...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Stumpf
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited that I'm finally managing to get in a post in tonight. I have been working crazy hours lately and have barely made it on to BGG or Yucata. I miss you ladies!

Tonight I came home to 2 boxes on my doorstep. I knew one of them was one of my latest Tanga purchases for Homesteaders (I do love the cows!). There was a second box that I had no recollection of ordering. Believe me, when I order something, I remember it and typically know when it will be showing up. It was a bit like Christmas when I opened the box and found Zong Shi a game I Kickstarted back in Nov/Dec. The components are beautiful, I can't wait to get through the rules and try this out.

Not that it's a board game per se but I do expect another package to arrive on Friday with the new iPad 3. I'm quite excited about that showing up. My 1st generation iPad was the 16 GB version and I long outgrew the space with books, magazines, videos, games and apps. I've been waiting for the 3rd generation patiently and now it's here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sandysidamo wrote:
I'm excited that I'm finally managing to get in a post in tonight. I have been working crazy hours lately and have barely made it on to BGG or Yucata. I miss you ladies!

Tonight I came home to 2 boxes on my doorstep. I knew one of them was one of my latest Tanga purchases for Homesteaders (I do love the cows!). There was a second box that I had no recollection of ordering. Believe me, when I order something, I remember it and typically know when it will be showing up. It was a bit like Christmas when I opened the box and found Zong Shi a game I Kickstarted back in Nov/Dec. The components are beautiful, I can't wait to get through the rules and try this out.

Not that it's a board game per se but I do expect another package to arrive on Friday with the new iPad 3. I'm quite excited about that showing up. My 1st generation iPad was the 16 GB version and I long outgrew the space with books, magazines, videos, games and apps. I've been waiting for the 3rd generation patiently and now it's here!
wow, I want check out your mailbox! mine only has bills and junkmail this week soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
got to play santiago yesterday - was really funny after only playing it on yucata and ever time it was my move i was asking what do this do and that and that - hopefully i will get them memorised. i got to understand the shipping much better . really glad we bought it - think ill be keen for another multi play on yucata next week

played octopus garden a few times..i think you would love the art - first play i wasnt keen but maybe i wasnt feeling so well as later we played and i asked for several more go's - its one of those simple gamees that is harder than it looks..all you are doing it buying a row of tiles, and placing them on your board to get more money ( pearls) and points - 5 grasses together gets points, shells get perls but the starfish worth a lot of points comes and eats them...
dont know how much life it has in it but for now its good - its q addictive and i wish i could play it with you.

going to hopefully get another go at rattus soon and try glen more.

last night hara and i sat side by side playing yucata and i was totally gripped by a game of finca with kathy -its neck and neck

poor hara has rules running round her head as i ask her to read my birthday games ones plus ones on yucata -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
omg, a lot of info there from Jood and Sandy! Very exciting, Sandy, I wanna have your mailbox, too! I have had Homesteaders for ages but still haven't had a chance to break it out. I have looked at it though and love the cows! I'll have to check out your kickstarter game.

Jood, I'll have to check out Octopus' Garden, too! I don't know anything about it but it sounds like something that might fly in my house. We will hopefully finish up that gripping game of Finca a bit later today. Yucata has a habit of making us stay up too late sometimes!

I am receiving my impulse buy Oregon today and not a minute too soon. I am starting to understand some things on Yucata, but it's still pretty much a mystery to me and I'm hoping that clears up when I can set the whole thing out there.

My husband will be working on the condo this afternoon, so I should have some time to game with you all then. Hope to see many of you, and you esp Jood, since we have got to see who comes out on top of that game of Finca!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kathy i thought you may like oct garden!

let us know how homesteaders goes - i keep looking at it! mind you id settle for one cow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received Oregon yesterday for which I was just desperate since I wasn't 'getting it'' on Yucata. Yesterday I punched it which is pretty simple, and I set a game up but didn't have time to get into it so sadly, I put it away.

This afternoon--different story. I have the house to myself and no one can make me vacuum if I'd rather be learning a game. cool And that's just how cool I am.

Anyway, I played a few rounds, made a few mistakes, printed out some player aids, played a couple of more rounds...and now I think I've got it though I find it's rather slow going trying to visualize my options. But I can already see that this one is going to be a winner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you have to score after each move ? and write it down kathy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:
do you have to score after each move ? and write it down kathy

Yes, please do share your notes for those of us who do not own the game, Kathy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, ladies...re Oregon...

I feel totally unprepared to share gospel on the game since I am so new BUT I believe f2f you score around the track and don't add up points from coal or gold until the end the of the game and then you just count your tokens. It's actually even easier on Yucata since it will tally the points. And yes, you score after every move if possible.

In general, you're comparing your cards (you always have 4) and deciding which pair will generate points for you. You follow the grid (like in geometry) to see where your point will be. I forget all the mathematical terms....anyway, like on graph paper, you're plotting your points. Then what you're trying to do is get groups of farmers to score points (3 or more, I think, have the same value) and trying to be next to building tiles whether orthogonally or diagonally. Also you can take extra turn and use a joker tile and the only way (I think) to reset those is to get a farmer to score next to certain buildings. When you're placing your buildings on the board the card background has to match and a few other quirks like railroads on railroad tracks and harbors next to water.

A nice thing is that if you hover over a building on the stacks of buildings on the board it will tell you what you earn by placing it. The thing I find most confusing is that when you are deciding which cards to use to place farmers or buildings is that the whole board highlights but you really can't place on any spot.

Oh that looks like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. Hope it is helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an FYI cardhaus.com has kingdom builder on sale for $33 if you are looking for a copy (and no Cary this has not changed my opinion of the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
This is a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
This is a good game.
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Mamadallama wrote:
Well, ladies...re Oregon...

This is a good game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traded for 1812: The Invasion of Canada, Tricky Bid, Cabale and a cedar dice tower this week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
His heart was growing full of broken wings and artificial flowers
mbmbmbmbmb
lorna wrote:
Traded for 1812: The Invasion of Canada this week.

thumbsup

This one looks good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If 1812 gets here in time I'll bring it to GS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
got tally ho today and just played it..the board is gorgeous and the tiles too - it played just as good in real - yes its got random but there is enough to have to work out what to do with what you have...nice those moments when you dont feel like but want something..im thrilled and keep running my hands over the smoothe board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:
got tally ho today and just played it..the board is gorgeous and the tiles too
I like being the bears
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Oh? Somehow, I figured you more went for the young and thin type...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Oh? Somehow, I figured you more went for the young and thin type...
nope, roly poly hibernation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes i reckon the bear is good..the phesant's eyes are hilarious too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got The Conquest of Planet Earth in yesterday and Grimoire in today. I am looking forward to giving both of them a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boom Chakalaka
United States
flag msg tools
Hmmmm, some women buy jewelry, clothes, or shoes...me, it's gotta be boardgames. whistle

So I stopped by one of the FLGSs to browse around, and I scored another copy of Belfort - I figure it might be useful for trading here on the Geek.

Also, at the same place, I found The Downfall of Pompeii - awesomeness! I'd looked for it there before the other couple times I had been in, but I'd missed it since the box was on its side and sort of blended into the games next to it. (I suppose I could've just asked at the desk if they carried it, but I figured it's so coveted that since I didn't see it, there was no way they had a copy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me, too! Board games are my weakness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [327] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.