Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of rules questions that came up in a previous game, quite possibly due to a mis-understanding of the tactical combat sequence.

1) If a unit is in "advance to engage" does it have to move into "engaged" on its following turn or can it withdraw back to column? (we played that it couldn't as the arrows on the battle chart would seem to disallow it)

2) If a unit is "engaged" against an enemy column that contains a mixture of types including infantry, cavalry and artillery can it choose to attack the artillery or does it have to plough through the infantry/cavalry first? (we played yes, because we couldn't see anything in the rulebook to disallow it even though it seemed thematically wrong)

3) Re-enforcements are chosen at the start of the turn, ignore road & river limits when moving from their location to the battle location, and are then placed in the reserve area at the end of the battle turn and can move into column (or advance to engage if cavalry) in their following turn, and, all correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I need more TIME
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are discussing 2nd edition aren't we?
MattDP wrote:
1) If a unit is in "advance to engage" does it have to move into "engaged" on its following turn or can it withdraw back to column? (we played that it couldn't as the arrows on the battle chart would seem to disallow it)

That's the way I play, but the sideways slide from "Advance to Engage" across to "Engaged" is not a move, just a recognition that the artillery of the defender can no longer fire, and that any charge bonus can be taken this turn and this turn only. So the block, having slide across to "Engaged", can then opt to either fire or move back to it's own end of the column in exactly the same way as applies to every turn in which it starts as engaged.

MattDP wrote:
2) If a unit is "engaged" against an enemy column that contains a mixture of types including infantry, cavalry and artillery can it choose to attack the artillery or does it have to plough through the infantry/cavalry first? (we played yes, because we couldn't see anything in the rulebook to disallow it even though it seemed thematically wrong)

I allow this, but such an attack on artillery would not benefit from the bonus versus unaccompanied artillery. And since the defending artillery is both pinned and unable to fire, it is rarely that an attacker would prefer to attack the artillery.

MattDP wrote:
3) Re-enforcements are chosen at the start of the turn, ignore road & river limits when moving from their location to the battle location, and are then placed in the reserve area at the end of the battle turn and can move into column (or advance to engage if cavalry) in their following turn, and, all correct?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It is indeed 2nd edition - I haven't played 3rd but it seems to take longer for no appreciable gain in fun. Really been enjoying it - it's very good especially when you consider it's age.

If you're interested the reason for the choice of attacking artillery is because the attacker knew he could collapse one of the other columns that battle turn. So by attacking a 2-step block he could destroy it and thus help count toward the collapse of that nation rather than simply wounding an infantry block.

I find the combat very confusing although it seems simple enough on the face of it. I think, IIRC, that the chart contradicts the rules. The rules say no fire until engaged but the chart says units in column can fire on those in advance to engage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.