Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
clawlan wrote:
This thread is epic, haha. . FWIW, i love my 3mm. Though I may also get the 2mm for the .5" and smaller counters. I haven't tried the small size yet on the 3mm. The Battle for Normandy has been staring at me since i got the thing, but I don't think my muscles can handle 2500 counters...

You have to take it on the same way you would eat an elephant... yuk

One bite at a time.

Assuming you have a storage system for the 2500, pull out and clip one baggie or one plano compartment.

I am using the clipper as an excuse to reorganize as well. Since I am not authorized pets in my current quarters, I can lay out entire chit sets and clip them over time.

Once clipped, I figure out where I will store them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I quickly drew rounded squares in Sketchup. I drew each of 1/2" and 5/8" at a 2 mm and 3 mm radiused corners.

I would add to the conversation that I do not think that the size of the corner maps to the size of the counter, not to 100%. It's very much of what look you're going after.

When I clipped using some jig and nail clippers, I always clipped to make ever so slightly of a clipped corner. Other gamers, I have seen, clip so much as to almost make octogons.

I would have used the 3 mm tool had I no other choice but I find it makes too much of a curved corner for my tastes, regardless of the size of the counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that the 3mm radius makes counters look laser-cut. Not that I have many laser-cut counters, but that looks like the same radius. It makes even old games look new.

It's quite possible that the 2mm radius would have the same effect, but I feel I would only want to use that on 1/2" counters, if at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
When I clipped using some jig and nail clippers, I always clipped to make ever so slightly of a clipped corner. Other gamers, I have seen, clip so much as to almost make octogons.

Wulf Corbett wrote:
I find that the 3mm radius makes counters look laser-cut. Not that I have many laser-cut counters, but that looks like the same radius. It makes even old games look new.

I received a couple of Lock 'n Load modules that had already been clipped by a previous owner and I experienced both of the phenomena above.

99% of the unit counters look awesome after having ben reclipped, but 33% of the miscellaneous marker counters seemed to have been clipped so hastily that octogon is the most accurate description.

I more cases than I want to recall, the clipper actually did not make any contact with the counter on all four corners! gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pmbrill77 wrote:
99% of the unit counters look awesome after having ben reclipped, but 33% of the miscellaneous marker counters seemed to have been clipped so hastily that octogon is the most accurate description.
Somewhere on BGG is a picture of some 1/2" counters - ASL, I think - clipped to octagons. It was that picture that made me determined to find a consistent mechanical clipping device...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipping with nail clippers is an Inexact science! I just acquired a copy of 7 Ages and hesitated on clipping the counters. While the white hanging paper needed to be removed, I wasn't sure I needed to actually clip the corners for a clean aesthetic look. With nail clippers it is hard to get a consistent sized clip! Anyway I ordered the tool you guys have been discussing, my copy of 7 Ages waits to be clipped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
Clipping with nail clippers is an Inexact science! I just acquired a copy of 7 Ages and hesitated on clipping the counters. While the white hanging paper needed to be removed, I wasn't sure I needed to actually clip the corners for a clean aesthetic look. With nail clippers it is hard to get a consistent sized clip! Anyway I ordered the tool you guys have been discussing, my copy of 7 Ages waits to be clipped!

Good for you. We all ought to applaud when someone resists the urge to clip freehand. Wars have begun that way.

You know, there are lots of ways to clip consistantly and very cheaply with nail clippers. The issue here is that with nail clippers one gets a dog-eared corner. The tool being discussed here is that it creates a nice even curve. If consistancy is your only concern (and if it's not too late) you can cancel the tool order and use your nail clippers and nothing more expensive than a spare CD cover. Search here on BGG for numerous descriptions or PM me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
adorablerocket wrote:
isaacc wrote:
thelivekennedy wrote:
I was going to wait for the 2mm but there's no sign on the website and I've got a lot of clipping (and maybe reclipping) to do. I just ordered the 3mm version.

Lee, look up-thread a bit. The 2 mm is due from Chinese production in late May. I'm gonna wait because I like the smaller corner that the 2 mm will provide, but to each his own.

Embrace the power of "AND"!

?? What do you mean?

3mm today... AND 2mm tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm glad I've picked up the 3mm tool, the larger counters look much better than with nail clippers. However I did mess up several of the smaller ASL sized counters. You can clip those too, but it requires some effort to have it come out right. Otherwise you end up taking off more from one corner than the other.

Hmm, I may need to order the 2mm tool also...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great picture, Isaac!
I thought I would be going to use the 2mm only on 1/2" counters, but now that I see your picture, I think I'll switch to the 2mm (when available) also for the 5/8" counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the 5/8" I'd say either looks good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My worry with the 2mm is how well it will 'bite', and whether there will be a tendency for it to just squash the corner. I think you'll have to hold the counters in tighter than with the 3mm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickcia wrote:
Great picture, Isaac!
I thought I would be going to use the 2mm only on 1/2" counters, but now that I see your picture, I think I'll switch to the 2mm (when available) also for the 5/8" counters.

The good thing is that you can give a few counters the 2mm treatment and if you want more you can 3mm them later if necessary.

Seeing Isaacc's pic, I am still thinking 2mm for 1/2" counters only but we shall see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes I am a Wargamer, Jackass.
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it great to live in a world where we have so many choices to achieve happiness? And a bit weird that 1mm difference in counter rounding can make the difference between happiness and frustration...?

Now, if I have to wait until May get that 2mm tool for my 1/2" counters, I am going to go nuts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
The 2mm model is going to be the best thing since sliced clipped bread.

My bread already has rounded corners. whistle

Where can I get the "squared off" bread so that I can clip it to my desired specifications?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmbrill77 wrote:
usrlocal wrote:

Where can I get the "squared off" bread so that I can clip it to my desired specifications?

Never mind that. Round American cheese slices for burgers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
pmbrill77 wrote:
usrlocal wrote:

Never mind that. Round American cheese slices for burgers!

I get my burgers at The Works - Gourmet Burger Bistro in Kingston, ON.

They round off my burger, the bread and pretty much everything other part of the meal for me. bacon

Then I polish it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmbrill77 wrote:
usrlocal wrote:

The problem with bread isn't the rounded corners it's that the top is a different shape than the bottom. The slices don't stack well in the hexes. Also they leave crumbs behind. I've taken to individually wrapping each slice in Saran wrap so that my hexes stay clean but it's hard to keep the wrap tight. I may try laminating the slices as a more permanent solutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
thelivekennedy wrote:
pmbrill77 wrote:
usrlocal wrote:

The problem with bread isn't the rounded corners it's that the top is a different shape than the bottom. The slices don't stack well in the hexes. Also they leave crumbs behind. I've taken to individually wrapping each slice in Saran wrap so that my hexes stay clean but it's hard to keep the wrap tight. I may try laminating the slices as a more permanent solutions.
Toasting it greatly enhances its structural integrity.
Recommended before laminating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are!
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
This looks like it could use a good clipping.

Quick, I need some grapes to set my teeth on edge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmmm, White Castle...... (insert drooling sound here).

Besides being quite tasty, they are a natural laxative....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I forgot to add a point that I observed when making my drawing on p. 14 of the thread.

3 mm (1/8") radiused curves on 1/2" counters touch one another. That means, using the 3 mm tool, if you are not dead-on precise, you may well remove more from one corner than another. I think a couple of posters have mentioned this already. I noticed it when drawing the underlying circles. FYI.

I think that using one tool or the other is largely a matter of taste. I think for 1/2" counters, you sort of have to go with the 2 mm tool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the 3mm tool is not ideal for the 1/2" counters, I've already improperly cut several. So I think the 2mm tool would be ideal for all of our counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I promised myself to check this thread when it passed 300 posts, but I did not. Missed something? Should I start from page 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  12 , 13 , 14 , 15 , 16  Next »  [91] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.