Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Blagg
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you haven't heard of it, Shadow Era is a card game that is VERY similar to the WoW CCG avalpilable on Android. it's pretty much my favorite phone/tablet game. They have decided to print physical cards, and have some incentives for their kickstarter preorder, depending on how many peoeple order. Plus the fact that you get an eqivelant amount of in game currency for free.

http://www.wulven.com/cards.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I do the minimum order would that include the playmat, since they reached their goal? If so Im in. Played it on my phone to and was pretty impressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the time to try the game out today, can someone give a quick sentence or two review or maybe a comparison to other similar games (Magic?). I'm intrigued. Also, if I want to play this with someone, I assume I'll need to snag two decks, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can read more about Shadow Era on VideoGeek. There's also one review over there.

I've only played it once so far but it feels quite polished. I'm not sure how well they are planning to track damage in the physical game since it's persistent on all the units. The idea of using normal cards as "Lands" is very clever since it gives you great control over your "Mana production". I'm looking forward to playing more...

And yes: You'll need one deck per player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game a good number of times on my iPad(over 25?).

My sole issue with this game is that it is actually too similar to the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game. I already have tons of cards from that game, so these would be somewhat redundant.

For those who are new to these games, Shadow Era is strong. A very good game.

Just my 2 cents; keep the change...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the insight, guys. Thanks. Might have to look into this some more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Blagg
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Like I said its very similar to the World of Warcraft CCG, which is similar to Magic, although in some ways superior because any card can be used as a resource thus elimating mana screw. The other major difference from Magic is that you focus your attack on the creature or player you want as opposed to Magic where you attack the player and they get to choose who blocks.

Also of note, the art is pretty awesome. And they also seem to have a pretty good sense of humour making sarcastic comments in the flavor text of cards with more "voluptuous" art.

I bought 2 of the starter decks, mostly because I feel like this is a design team that is worth supporting. and it seems that every purchase is entitled to the playmat, the set of foils and the free in game crystals, and depending on if they reach higher goals, maybe more. Honestly, the phone game is goodenough on it's own that I,d recomend playing it even if you dont want to buy the physical cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Jordan
United States
Saline
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As the OP points out, this game is VERY similar to the WoW card game. The mechanics are almost identical, and it uses the same fantasy theme. As a physical game, I'm not sure what would make this game worth buying over the WoW CCG, which at least has an established base of many cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried it on my iPhone but found it pretty bland personally. It's a free download, so if you can grab a copy and try it for yourself.

I do agree that Magic's "land" cards are a terrible way to do resourcing. Consider looking at the Call of Cthulhu LCG which lets you use any card as a resource. It's also much more interesting, better fleshed out, exists already, etc..., etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this compare to The Spoils? I'm intrigued, but the random purchasing model is something that I no longer have much interest in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Jordan
United States
Saline
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you want a CCG-type game with great resource management, look at Warhammer:Invasion. The way the game lets you balance adding resources, drawing cards, and making attacks is really good. After playing that, I just can't play MTG anymore. The lack of control in MTG over resource generation is just too frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 60k mark (exclusive epic foil neutral ally) was reached. Next up is 80k for custom counters and tokens.

I've been playing a lot recently since discovering this game through this thread. I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Gameplay is pretty straightforward, but the deck building really opens up after unlocking more heroes/classes/abilities.

This is a really great deal imo. The 2x crystals and complete foil set push it over the edge. Even just picking up a starter will net you enough crystals to build several solid decks online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've been playing this for a few days now, and it's pretty sweet! Definitely different than WoW, too, which is good.

And all those bonuses easily make this as good a deal as any board game.

It only took me a couple days to get enough xp/gold to buy all the cards I needed for my deck. And now it seems perfectly competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I tried my hand at a number of rounds on the iOS game and it's definitely enjoyable - enough that I bit on the $20 level for 2 decks. I'm not sure I picked the coolest deck/class choices out there (Human Rogue and Shadow Hunter) but those are the types of classes my wife and I tend to choose in various games.

And now you guys are going to tell me I picked the worst classes that exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You pretty much did pick the two worst classes in the current version of the game. But lucky for you they both will be getting significant buffs in the next update.

The actual printed cards will be of the complete balanced set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lanoman97 wrote:
You pretty much did pick the two worst classes in the current version of the game. But lucky for you they both will be getting significant buffs in the next update.

The actual printed cards will be of the complete balanced set.

LoL I knew it!

If there is any chance that I can make any changes to my order, which two class decks would YOU pick and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunters and Rogues aren't as competitive currently, but again they will become much stronger classes in the next update and by the time the cards are printed and released. I haven't been playing very long, but after playing Mage for the past week, those two classes and Wulven probably interest me the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
msg tools
For any order changes, just email Sales@Wulven.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnAdolt wrote:
For any order changes, just email Sales@Wulven.com.

Awesome, thank you. I'm hoping for a few more class deck suggestions here - surprised there hasn't more than the one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing a mage. I think it's fun. A good balance of dropping high toughness allies early on and burn spells that often 2 for 1 them later on. I'm using the human mage with a built in fireball. If the game goes 8 turns, that's a potential 1/3-1/4 of their life total off the top!

I did have one warrior who made some rude remarks about mages and refused to play, like, my third game in.

And I quit any game with that wulven that prevents damage to himself. The deck seems broken. Every time I am stopped from doing anything from about turn 4 onwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
msg tools
@Ender Wiggin I would suggest a Mage deck and either a Priest or Elemental deck. With more direct damage, the Mage deck can be easier to play and master while the Priest or Elemental decks have class cards with a bit more depth and utilizes higher strategy. You could say the contrast is low risk + medium rewards versus high risk + high rewards.

@scifiantihero Our Design Team is aware of the negative play experience players can have with the current Wulven decks have addressed it with a few changes that will roll out in the next update. The next release also comes with 25 new cards so the meta will be improving very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, AnAdolt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
80k reward has been reached! Now any purchase includes:

- Equivalent amount of in game shadow crystals. Delivered immediately.
- Codes included in decks and boosters to redeem for more shadow crystals
- Full set of foil cards (rare/epic)
- Playmat (mousepad-like material)
- Exclusive promo epic foil neutral ally
- Custom counters and tokens (honestly not sure how the game would be played without these)

Probably one of the best preorder deals I have seen. Hopefully we see the tins (wouldn't mind a set of uncommon cards either :P ) next at an achievable goal for 5 days.

EDIT: Looks like the next reward will be the collector's tin at 100k.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
msg tools
We will be extending the pre-order duration, probably for a week. Some people were having problems ordering through PayPal so we wanted to get Google checkout up. Another reason is many players want to know the content of starter packs before they order so the extension gives players at least a few days to decide once we put up the deck lists.

EDIT: Correction, unfortunately we will not be able to extend the pre-order deadline. If you're not able to submit an order through the PayPal checkout, please email Sales@Wulven.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
msg tools
In the finale, orders are in overdrive! Hero foil cards are announced as the 8th milestone. Each $40 package or higher that is pre-ordered will get its own set of bonuses, instead of the bonuses being limited to 1 per household.

With just over 2 days left, the clock is counting down so take advantage of the offers while you still can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.