Subject: Bidding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
howard ronald
Canada
downsview
ontario
flag msg tools
Question on bidding. I have an update which seems to have changed the costs.US map, 3rd edition.

Please confirm in a 3 play and 4 player game.

(3)
Last - Free
2nd Last- Full
First - Full

(4)
Last - Free
2nd Last- ½
2nd - Full
First - Full

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I do not know if it has changed with rerelease, but you are correct as far as the original rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not aware of any changes. The thing to remember with the Age of Steam auction is simply this:

The first and second place individuals pay their full bid amounts.
The first person to dropout of the auction pays nothing.
Everyone else pays half their last bid, rounded up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The very first FRED rules were missing a crucial paragraph. Correction sticker is in the files section. The folks here are correct.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howard ronald
Canada
downsview
ontario
flag msg tools
The fatal flaw in the bidding for a 3 player game is that once someone is willing to outbid all rivals, ie: first bid is $5, then players #2 and #3 will always alternate between second and last. If player #2 tries to outbid player #1, ie: bid $6, and player #1 bids $7, player #2 is stuck paying full price $6 for 2nd place, If player #2 didn’t bid, player #3 would get 2nd place for free.

So the question I’m asking, is there a modification for a 3 player game.

IE: first place player pays full amount, last player pays nothing, and all others pay ½.
SO

#1 = full, #2 = ½ and #3 = Free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
This is not a flaw and there is no 3-player modification. If the players understand the pattern in advance, it changes the progression of bids and the board-play to setup contention for key actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.