Taj Mahal» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Network Palace Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Perez
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi all,

What kind of things (map, etc...) favours the network strategy?

What to take into account?

How do you execute it? What to take care of?

When do you decide for a mixed strategy?

Thks in advance
Pepe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
If the initial province sequence is a string of adjacent provinces, that favors a network.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Why so? It would seem more difficult to get wins in succession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Why so? It would seem more difficult to get wins in succession.

Absolutely. If you are going for a dominant strategy, your opponents should try to block you. Multiple adjacent provinces are very valuable because they can score over and over.

If you plan to make grand network, but can only link it all together on the last province, then its not worth as much as a small network that scores several times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
savuton wrote:
What to take into account?

I look for a sequence of visits that will allow me to play for a big win (2 or more places), then the pause at the next visit farther away so I can withdraw early and conserve cards.

Depending on the sequence layout, the face-up cards available, and the number of players, I might withdraw early on Visit #1 to get the two cards I want plus the third from the face-down deck. Then I can concentrate on Visit #2.

Avoid lengthy showdowns unless the big win is absolutely essential. Normally, 1-2 palaces is enough of win to sustain momentum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Perez
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi all,

How many provinces in sequence do you consider the minimum for begin to think in pure network strategy?

And how many in a mixed strategy ( network palaces plus 1-2 commodities..)?

I suposse that the centered provinces are more valued that corner provinces no?

Is it important if the some adyacents provincies are in the begin or the end of the sequence of the visits?

Is possible to win in 5 players, with pure network strategy?

I suposse that the extra mogul ( green guy benefit ) is essential no?

Any more things to consider?

THks for all
pepe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions. I'd just recommend you play the game some more and report back on what worked for you.

Last night I played a 4p game of Taj Mahal and came in a very close second with a strategy of just going for the commodity chips with jems. I kept getting jems andthey scored over and over. I scored for other stuff too of course, but the jems were my big plan. It would have worked but my clever schemes were undone at the last minute by an even more clever scheme and a very unlucky (for me) card draft on the last hand. Sigh.

Here's 10gg for your avatar fund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.