Subject: Rules online rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Wagner
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are now online (German only) at our homepage. You will find the direct link to the pdf in the "Web links" section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Wagner
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
PollutedMonkey wrote:
Will the game also get an English version, or at least a bi-lingual (German/English) release like Valdora?

We switched to a single-language system to encourage more foreign publishers to distribute our products. Another reason is the 1,2,3 picture concept we use on our boxes from now on (see pictures in the gallery).

I believe in the quality of our products, so I am confident we will find a partner for an English version as well as for other languages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan How
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you know about Counter magazine? Geekmail me for more details
mbmbmbmbmb
ABACUSSPIELE wrote:
PollutedMonkey wrote:
Will the game also get an English version, or at least a bi-lingual (German/English) release like Valdora?

We switched to a single-language system to encourage more foreign publishers to distribute our products. Another reason is the 1,2,3 picture concept we use on our boxes from now on (see pictures in the gallery).

I believe in the quality of our products, so I am confident we will find a partner for an English version as well as for other languages

It's a pity as more publishers seem to be moving toward multi lingual rules at an earlier stage and I thought that Abacus were one of the pioneers of this. It always enabled me to buy Abacus games with confidence as I knew the translation was carried out by the publisher. Now there is a possibility of games being played using translations not endorsed by the publisher and the possibility of errors in play.

And from an English language consumer viewpoint, a delay in getting hold of a game early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan How wrote:
ABACUSSPIELE wrote:
PollutedMonkey wrote:

It's a pity as more publishers seem to be moving toward multi lingual rules at an earlier stage and I thought that Abacus were one of the pioneers of this. It always enabled me to buy Abacus games with confidence as I knew the translation was carried out by the publisher. Now there is a possibility of games being played using translations not endorsed by the publisher and the possibility of errors in play.

And from an English language consumer viewpoint, a delay in getting hold of a game early.

I have to agree with Alan - i am sure you will find partners in English but this often means a long time between the German and the English version - which means the enthusiasm for the game will die down. Also, hard core gamers will translate the rules and import the game thus diluting demand for the game. The other factor is price to the end consumer ; in the UK the Rio grande edition of Airlines Europw is RRP £47.99 - the multilanguage Abacus version is 40 Euros - somewhere about 35% difference (subject to exchange rates) difference in price.

Like Alan, I think Abacus have done a fantastic job in pioneering multi language games (and the success of Aleas The Castle of Burgundy in a mutli language edition is a recent example of the successful trend abacus started) and if its not too late I would recommend on better distribution of your titles to the USA and UK rather than finding partners which will just add to the cost for the consumer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Wagner
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We were not able to sell a reasonable amount of multi-language editions in other countries through distribution which leads to smaller productions and higher costs. In addition other publishers are afraid of licensing a game that was already released as a multi-language edition. Especially when those games can easily be ordered in Germany for crazy prices that are lower than anywhere else.
Publishers that license our games and join the production believe in the product and have all the knowledge needed to sell these games in their domestic market.
So the only point that I agree with you is that we should manage to release the game at the same time with our partners. We are currently working to improve that situation which actually just means working harder and harder to have playable prototypes available earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ABACUSSPIELE wrote:
We were not able to sell a reasonable amount of multi-language editions in other countries through distribution which leads to smaller productions and higher costs. In addition other publishers are afraid of licensing a game that was already released as a multi-language edition. Especially when those games can easily be ordered in Germany for crazy prices that are lower than anywhere else.
Publishers that license our games and join the production believe in the product and have all the knowledge needed to sell these games in their domestic market.
So the only point that I agree with you is that we should manage to release the game at the same time with our partners. We are currently working to improve that situation which actually just means working harder and harder to have playable prototypes available earlier.

I understand your reasons and glad to hear you are working towards simultaneous releases. I do hope though it does not mean that the English edition will have a silly premium price - a lot of English editions have eneded up as failures because of the premium for an English Edition (Industria and Furstenfeld spring to mind) compared to the German version. Good luck with the new venture - I have doubts and it might not suit me but I hope it means more success for Abacus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Wagner
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorp222 wrote:
I understand your reasons and glad to hear you are working towards simultaneous releases. I do hope though it does not mean that the English edition will have a silly premium price - a lot of English editions have eneded up as failures because of the premium for an English Edition (Industria and Furstenfeld spring to mind) compared to the German version. Good luck with the new venture - I have doubts and it might not suit me but I hope it means more success for Abacus

Thanks Paul. I think we are on the right way, especially because we are able to provide better visual information on the back of the box with more space now. Being a small publisher those decisions are not easy though and we will carefully check the feedback we get. Of course we are not interested in having our games sold for premium prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fausto Berutti
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anyone who want to translate the original rules from German?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.